Thread: 2013 First Ride

Hybrid View

2013 First Ride

Hello Everyone,

Today here in PA we were blessed with 38.8 deg f. in the Poconos.. Good enough to get out and enjoy first ride in 2013.

How Bout you.. Get out for a ride Yet? I forgot my Phone.. So no Pics... But was really nice ride on 873 south.. then back through Lehigh... 209.. 115.. All good felt great to be out, saw one other bime and a trike....

Bah humbug! It was not riding weather in SE Michigan today. Gray, overcast and alternating between flurries and a light, misting rain, with the temps around 33F. But this week looks more promising as we should get warmer weather and some rain to wash away the salt on the roads.
    Dan

Good for you!
    I, OTOH, sat on my duff, cooked brunch, and took down the Christmas decorations...
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

TravelsWithBarley.com
    It would have been a good riding day here in north central Vermont: 24F, flurries, but the roads clear. But last week all the snow fell off the roof of my shop, got soaked in afternoon drizzle, then froze overnight at minus 18F. I have two bikes ready to go...with shop doors blocked by four feet of solid ice.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

2013 First Ride

I was going to complain about the morning drizzle, but at 50 degrees, I will be thankful.
    Got all 3 bikes out for a spin today.
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

Nice Sunday ride in Kansas

My first ride of the year this past Sunday 1/6/13. Temp slightly over 34 degree. Got in over 100 miles of riding around Lake Perry and E. KS.

http://www.rd400racer.com rd400racer's Avatar
    We have a challenge going with our local sportbike club to ride a minumum of 50 miles per week year round. Now I know this doesn't sound like much to BMW enthusiast, but it's kind of fun to keep track of the weekly miles. I have ridden at least half the days of the year so far. Monday was tough.....20 degrees out when I left for work at 6am.

But as we all know, cold time on a bike is still better than a warm ride in a car!
    http://www.rd400racer.com/

2001 Ducati Monster; 1996 R1100GS; 1985 RZ350; 1977 RD400

Got my first ride in last week with temp about 38 degrees. Put on the electric underwear and had a blast riding around. Went to meet the breakfast group, and the first question was "Are you out of your ******* mind ? " Yep !
    Doug, 2011 R1200RT Polar Metallic
    MSF #127350 NAUI #36288

Rally Rat
    My first ride of the year was 1/5 which was a rain date for the Polar Bear ride with my church group. We didn't ride very far (maybe 50 miles total) so I went out for a ride up to Caesar's Head on 1/6. Unfortunately the road surface on the SC side of the mountain is getting worse and isn't as fun as it used to be but I'm not going to complain too much about twisties that close.

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradoclc View Post
    My first ride of the year this past Sunday 1/6/13. Temp slightly over 34 degree. Got in over 100 miles of riding around Lake Perry and E. KS.
    You are almost a neighbor! Way to go.

I, too, have been riding regularly since about the 4th or 5th of January, after all the snow and ice melted off the roads. Got a couple hundred miles in the new year so far. I love the warm temps.
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

All roads snowpacked and icy. Morning temps way below zero, daytime highs had been in the single digits for weeks, but jumped to 18 yesterday. 10 to 20 more inches coming over the weekend. GS is solidly in hibernation. Have fun everyone, see you in the Spring.

Geeser
    My first ride of the year was Tuesday 8 Jan 26 Degrees on the ride to work
    Marty
    K1600GTL
    F700GS
    IBA #42016

2013 First Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey1 View Post
    Saturday was my first long ride on my 1994 K75. I rode from Georgia to Tellico Plains, Tenessee and returned home for a great 240 mile day. I enjoyed riding the K75. It was pure joy each and every mile. I was up early Sunday morning washing my red beauty in order to show her to the guys at the local coffee shop. So, my first ride on the K75 of 2013 will bring a smile over the years as I recall my first long ride on K75.
    Did you stop at Kats Deli? Love that place. Good people. I got caught in the worst rain of my life there once. My usually flawless riding gear just couldn't handle the several hour deluge. Cold and wet, pulled into the deli. Probably the nicest people you could meet. We ordered food which was excellent, then sat out on porch to dry off. Proprietress shows up with towels right out of the dryer and some kind words. I never pass it without stopping.
    Lynn
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

Lynn
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

Got out Fri, Sat and Sun here in NE Ohio. Even after the heavy rains we had the roads were pretty nasty. By the time I was ready to put the bike back to bed it looked like a salt lick. Had to drag out the hose and turn the water back on and give the girl a good scrubbing. I have my pipes set up so that they will drain out by themselves so the hardest part was draining the 100' of hose and putting it away. Another nice day and we will do it all over again.
    Jeff
    93 K1100LT
    03 K1200GT