Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Helmet - check in or carry on

I wouldn't check anything I didn't want to lose.

I've flown back from Europe on two occasions with BMW System helmets just in the boxes they're sold in, carried on.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Caribbean Druid
    Quote Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
    If you think carrying a helmet raises eyebrows at the checkpoints, try carrying scuba regulators with an attached dive computer
    LOL, done both. We'd much rather carry on the helmets than our regulator/dive computer systems. The helmets never get a second look from TSA, and we carry them on airlines all the time for work purposes. On the other hand, try sending your regulator/diver computer through airport security checks. Can't tell you how many times we've had to explain that one...

Quote Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
    If you think carrying a helmet raises eyebrows at the checkpoints, try carrying scuba regulators with an attached dive computer
    Nah, the real problem is getting on the plane with a chainsaw...
    Mac
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    Obviously some of you haven't met "the lady from Delta with the red scarf!" as she will try to count your neck pillow as one carry on item and then it goes downhill further from there... with SW Airlines, I've not had a helmet carry on issue.
    I have worn my helmet while boarding the plane to avoid this. it's my hat!

I did carry my helmet in a helmet bag, wore by airflow jacket, bike boots and carried my pc bag.

However my plans changed at the last minute and I had to swap to a Southwest flight and was 3rd from last to board a full flight!

Amazingly I still managed to get my helmet bag and pc bag in the overhead bin (just). Jacket went under the seat in front, the armor does not fold well!

As there was so little room for a moment I considered sitting in my bright green jacket and white helmet in my middle seat but thought better of it. Generally there can be a sense of humor failure on aircraft!

kicking the dog

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    I have worn my helmet while boarding the plane to avoid this. it's my hat!
    I just moved back to Taiwan in Nov. and of course had lots of stuff to bring. They must of had a substitute gate keeper at the boarding gate, she had to be 90 at least and starting hassling me about my stuff; she sounded and looked like one of my old drill sgt. . I was carrying a computer bag, a carry on bag and my helmet. I was wearing a western hat so I just stuck the helmet on my 6 year old's head; worked out great. Most of the time there are no problems but then ever once in a while you get that one who wants to kick the dog.
    Last edited by rsbeemer; 01-26-2013 at 04:23 PM. Reason: mispelled
    1978 R100rs MOA#22600 125cc Kymco
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.