Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: France, Belgium - Omaha Beach, American Cemetary, Ardennes, Pics/Vid

On a Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by riderK1200LT
    Thanks for sharing those pics. There are so many places to visit in Normandy, that you have to make choices if you have only a few days.
    About 20 years ago I went to, among other places, Point-Du-Hoc were the rangers had to climb those cliffs. Standing on that beach looking up gave me the chills. The bravery and daring are mindboggling. Even now climbing up would be tough, let alone in wartime conditions. What the Americans and other Allied forces did there is beyond believe and to this day those who were there deserve our respect and admiration.
    Yes! I only skimmed what is there. I heard about Point-Du-Hoc. I want to bring my wife very much and she was very happy to hear I left much for a return visit.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Thanks
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

On a Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by dlearl
    Thanks for the wonderful pictures and the wonderful post. I had the great opportunity to see much of that country in 1960, a mere 15 years after the war. Although I was only 8 at the time, many things are etched in my memory. One was sitting in the ruins of a German pill box on the coast and having my father tell me the story of D-Day for the first time. (Both my parents were Vets. Met and married in the Navy Air Corps) Another was staying on the third floor of a five story hotel in Orlean or somewhere. The top two floors were still bombed out ruins.
    Lastly and most poignant, was hearing the story of the memorial in Rotterdam to the Destroyed City .

Thanks again, especially to those who fought and died for our freedom.
    dlearl... Rotterdam is where my mom's family is from (both sets of grandparents). The web site reminds me of the WWII crossroads Belgium was as I read about the Battle of the Bulge. Such history in this area. Riding through France one couldn't help but imagine troops and tanks making their way through the countryside, liberating towns. Saw many memorials, WWII and WWI, in rural France. Wish I had brought my French-English dictionary!

Wow

Beautiful work about an ugly time in human history.

Every time I see grave markers in rows, whether in Arlington or anywhere, it makes me stop and think about what a brutal world we live in and why it is so important to never forget.

We owe everything to the people who gave everything.

Thanks.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I remember trying to explain to my much younger cousin that each of those markers was for a person lost. That really made it hit home.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Nice historical ride report

Thumbs up

I have come to believe that our WWII vet's were our greatest generation. Early in my Navy career I was fortunate to meet many veterans that fought in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. Our National Cemetery's are monuments to those that have served in the Armed Forces, to visit one and walk among the Crosses is sobering testimony to the sacrifices made by our Veterans past and present.
    Ride Safe

I thought Steve was back. Haven't seen any of his posts for a while.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

On a Ride
    Rinty, This is an older thread. Nevertheless, I kinda enjoy refreshing the brain with memories of the trip again.

Been busy writing a massive book on motorcycling Colorado. Sent it to the publisher two weeks ago. 250+ roads/rides, 1,000+ images, 250 vids, 100+ historical photos, etc. and etc. Now that I can come up for air, will be hanging the hat around here more often. The RT and GSADV were real and flawless workhorses for much of the content, including deep off road the GS never let me down on.

Been a good year of skiing for you?

Steve

franze

Nice report

Haven't seen this one, thanks for the bump. Looking forward to getting your book, Steve.

France: Land of beautiful bridges and ugly cars:

...good year of skiing for you?
    Haven't done much, but spring skiing is here, and they finally got some snow:

http://www.skibanff.com/conditions/snow_report.php

Let us know when your book is out, so we can get our orders in. Will it be available through Whitehorse?
    Rinty

On a Ride
    Funny how just when ski conditions are at their best, the interest fades a bit with those who have been riding the lifts all year, and those skiing now find thinned out crowds and thickened experiences!

The book will be at Whitehorse, but also at Amazon and many dealers this autumn. Will also have a companion web site (rmrider.com - Rocky Mountain Rider).

...the interest fades a bit...
    ...when deck time's at its best:

Rinty