Thread: Karoo 3

Karoo 3

Great article on K60 - TKC 80 tires by Bill Dragoo. Don't know about the TKC -80 s but I have run through a couple of sets of the K-60s .
    Can't wait to try the new Karoo 3 tires .
    They sound like they would be be a perfect match for the riding that I like to do .
    R1150 GS R100 RS XT 500 CL-72

One of the GS Giants has a set of Karoo 3s on the way from Metzeler for testing, as part of our Adventure Tire Comparo coming in a future issue of BMW Owners News.

I've ridden several sets of Heidenaus and find that they tend to flat-spot badly over their lives. The latest set that I have on my HP2e now are some K60s, and I'm trying to give them a steady diet of twisties. We'll see how it goes.

The Heidenaus are also part of the comparo.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

The rear K60 Heidenau starts with a fairly flat profile and gets worse quickly. The one time I tried it I took it off the bike and threw it away after about 5K miles in spite of lots and lots of tread left. It was near square and I could feel the corners on the tire leaning into turns. I also didn't like the front very much. Just to spite me the front wore, and wore, and wore until I finally said enough and replaced it (with a TKC80) at about 11K miles -- still with lots of tread left.

No more K60 for me. I would like to try the Karoo 3, though.

Ive seen the same squaring off with the Heidenaus I've ridden and seen on other bikes. I saw a bike in Redmond that was so squared off the edges were sharp!

My HP2e came to me with a Heidenau with a partially worn by a rider who rode almost entirely on-road and straight. It was fairly squared off, but it had so much tread I thought I might be able to round it back out what whomping on it out of corners while heeled over. No such luck... the tires have a very hard compound and getting on the loud handle in such a fashion made for a few lurid slides and subsequent pucker moments.

I've got another one on now, to give them a fair chance. With a steady diet of twisties, they are maintaining a fairly rounded profile (for them, they're a lot flatter than Metzeler Tourance even when new) but I've only gone about 2500 miles.

We'll see....

Ian