Thread: Who Needs a Catalytic Converter

Who Needs a Catalytic Converter

I am having a ceramic coating put on the pipes of by 2007 1200 RT. We dont think the ceramic coating will damage the guts of the catalytic concerter - but if it did, what would it hurt? There isnt an o2 Sensor past the cat, so the computer wouldn't know if its working or not. I guess it could get stopped up... Can anyone tell me if there is an adverse effect if the cat goes bad?

Left the CAT on my '05RT and on a few 1100/1150's. No harm from coating as it seems the CAT gets way hotter than the baking process when I asked the coating company.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

O2 sensor is upstream of the cat.

Powdercoating temps are on the order of 500F; the catalytic material is doing its chemical reaction-facilitating thing several hundred degrees higher. Should be no issue.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
    O2 sensor is upstream of the cat.

Powdercoating temps are on the order of 500F; the catalytic material is doing its chemical reaction-facilitating thing several hundred degrees higher. Should be no issue.
    I was worried more about it getting gummed up in the claning process..THanks for the feedback