Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2010 RT Rear Brake Pad Fit Problem

Grampa Tumbleweed

Angry 2010 RT Rear Brake Pad Fit Problem

I bought EBC pads for the rear brake, part#FA363HH. After "some" frustration failing to install the pads, with the pistons fully levered back into the caliper, I took some measurements: Two pads plus disc = .950".
    Space in caliper = .930" Anyone else have this problem? I suspect I was given the wrong part #, anyone out there have a different part # for rear EBC's / 2010 RT?

pushing in the piston is only half the problem. The rear caliper is a slider design. I'd take it off and separate the two halves, clean and lube the pins it slides on and then try it again.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Grampa Tumbleweed

2010 RT Rear Brake Pad Fit Problem

Quote Originally Posted by MPMARTY View Post
    pushing in the piston is only half the problem. The rear caliper is a slider design. I'd take it off and separate the two halves, clean and lube the pins it slides on and then try it again.
    The caliper body itself is one piece. Your suggestion won't change the fact that there simply is not room in the caliper for the brake pads I was sold, plus the disc.

I strongly suggest you study the attached. Your rear caliper is a two piece affair and needs to be serviced.
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...eplacement-DIY
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Hello. I've looked at the information in the link above, and cannot see but one piece for the rear caliper. The piece I see is the piece that holds the piston and pads. There is a pin that holds the pads in place, but I don't call it a part of the "caliper". What is the second part?

Look at step 4: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...l=1#post453202

The dark colored piece is separate from the light covered piece. The two pieces slide on pins lubricated by brake grease held inside the rubber boots. If you remove the light covered piece it looks like this:

p-20110124-1250-2639.jpg

It should slide easily in and out from the other half of the brake. If it doesn't it needs cleaning and lubrication.

Grampa Tumbleweed

Yes it is a slider design but that has nothing to do with the distance between the retracted piston and the left side of the caliper. I talked to EBC today and they believe I have a mis-manufactured pad. They are sending me a replacement. They were very nice to work with.

Yes it is a slider design but that has nothing to do with the distance between the retracted piston and the left side of the caliper. I talked to EBC today and they believe I have a mis-manufactured pad. They are sending me a replacement. They were very nice to work with.
    Agree EBC is a first rate outfit. I've got their HH pads in all positions on my RT but I'll bet the problem isn't what you think it is. That slider caliper is stuck and the clearance on the "inside" of the disk is not large enough for the pad to fit. Typical stuck caliper syndrome where the inside pad wears out much sooner than the outside one.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Agree sliders stuck, piston only looks fully retracted.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

I put new Brembo pads on my '06 RT last July. The inner pad and backing plate was 8.7mm thick. The outer pad and backing plate was 10.1mm thick. A new rotor is supposed to be 5mm thick. So the combination would be 23.8mm or .937in. So the caliper has to have a slightly larger opening.

I've been having trouble with rear brake drag and have found that excess lube on the slider pins can keep the caliper from sliding properly or to its full range. The pins act like pistons in a closed cylinder, the lube serves as a piston ring, and you end up with something like an air spring.

I found it interesting that nearly all the braking force is seems to be carried by the front pin. The rear pin slides in its rubber boot and apparently is just to keep the caliper from rotating out of position.

When EBC sends your replacement pads let us know what you find.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

When EBC sends your replacement pads let us know what you find.

We're waiting... Did you solve your little problem?

Grampa Tumbleweed

We're waiting... Did you solve your little problem?
    Problem solved. Had to pull the caliper all the way to the Left on the slider pins. The pads are an extremely close fit, unlike the fronts which have a little wiggle room. The slider was plenty free.

You nailed that one from day one, Marty, nice job.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    You nailed that one from day one, Marty, nice job.
    Thanks Rob but I cheated I looked at the parts.

Hey, I never question how a person has the right answer! It's just "right."
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350