Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: /5 cigar muffler question

Those are like wheelie bars!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Those are like wheelie bars!
    Or the little wheels on some RV trailers to prevent the rear end from draging as you go into a slight rise like a driveway or gas station entry...........God bless..........Dennis

/5 mufflers will fit all /6 and /7 models through 1984.
    www.boxermetal.com
    www.facebook.com/boxermetal
    VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694, ABC #600
    Hi my name is Chris and I am a slash-five-o-holic.

I'll trade you my /6 mufflers.

Why not just go aftermarket? I went with Dunstall Replicas, significantly cheaper than BMW and I like the sound much, much better - so much I bought a reverse cone version for my Aermacchi. You're building your own unique tank for your R90s, why bother going with stock BMW options for the exhaust.

The only modification I had to do to make them work was drill an additional hole in the stock muffler mounting tab (slightly higher and centered) and voila. The mufflers clear the brake pedal (clearance was the reason I had to drill slightly higher) and you have tons of room to access the axle nut and remove the shocks

p.s ignore the face my daughter is making, she was getting tired of taking xmas pics

IMG_2674.jpg
    // 1975 BMW R90/6 (cafe'd) // 1957 BMW R60 (in pieces) // 1967 Aermacchi/H-D Sprint 250 SS (custom special) // 1973 VW Type 181 Custom SOLD )

http://symphonyofshrapnel.blogspot.com

Beautiful R90 with nice touches. A real road burner. I just want a slimmer muff out back. I'll post pic if and when they're mounted, if they fit etc., and it's about time for new ones.

I just want a slimmer muff out back.
    I had these Dunstall-esque tubes on my /5 for a week or so. I decided that they were a bit too "rappy" (it's a real word ...) and sold them. Much prefer the "stealth" mode of the OEM Zeunas.

These pics show them compared to the ZEUNAs

Duane Aushermann's got a good write up on silencers. see > http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/muffler/slash5_muffler.htm
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Looks like you would have to pull the left Dunstall to get the axle out.

Looks like you would have to pull the left Dunstall to get the axle out.
    Strike 2 !
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    Will the /5 cigar mufflers bolt on to a /6 system? Assuming it's a 38mm pipe? Every picture seen looks that they are about the same length, on a short or long wheelbase, they seem to line up where the other regular shaped muffler lines up at the back tire. Insides can't be any different, with a baffle block and louvered tube to exit. Don't like the massive look of those regular /6 units. Just wondering if anyone mounted the cigars on a /6 and if the bolt holes lined up?
    they work fine..all mufflers from 70-84 interchange..i have /5 mufflers on most of my bikes..they all interchange..always have..always will...only difference is 38 versues 40 mm..