Thread: /5 cigar muffler question

Hybrid View

/5 cigar muffler question

Will the /5 cigar mufflers bolt on to a /6 system? Assuming it's a 38mm pipe? Every picture seen looks that they are about the same length, on a short or long wheelbase, they seem to line up where the other regular shaped muffler lines up at the back tire. Insides can't be any different, with a baffle block and louvered tube to exit. Don't like the massive look of those regular /6 units. Just wondering if anyone mounted the cigars on a /6 and if the bolt holes lined up?

Part numbers are different between R75/5 and R75/6.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I was thinking, since the difference in wheelbase comes at the rear swing arm, then the frame bolt holes for the mufflers should be at same place. And, /6 mufflers bolt right up to /5 short and long wheelbase as seen in various threads. Guess the only way is to buy'm and check it out, unless someone's got one and can check it out.

Maybe Lew will be along shortly...he's one of the 'xpurts on the /5!
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

I dont have a fische here but are the frames the same for a /5 and /6???.......God bless.........Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    I dont have a fische here but are the frames the same for a /5 and /6???
    LWB /5 and /6 are basically the same....rear subframe is different for the SWB /5. But the muffler attaches to small extensions from the lower part of the main frame loop...it extends back from where the swingarm sits. The mountings are probably the same for all /5 and /6, but given that the rear axle on the SWB /5 is roughly two inches farther forward, it seems that the muffler would extend out past the end of the bike. But as 898 indicated, maybe they all did that. Here's one picture where the muffler sticks pretty far aft...I think this is SWB:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/photos/phot...20Matkovic.jpg

And this appears to be a LWB:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/photos/phot...5-5%20(10).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    Will the /5 cigar mufflers bolt on to a /6 system? Assuming it's a 38mm pipe? Every picture seen looks that they are about the same length, on a short or long wheelbase, they seem to line up where the other regular shaped muffler lines up at the back tire. Insides can't be any different, with a baffle block and louvered tube to exit. Don't like the massive look of those regular /6 units. Just wondering if anyone mounted the cigars on a /6 and if the bolt holes lined up?
    they work fine..all mufflers from 70-84 interchange..i have /5 mufflers on most of my bikes..they all interchange..always have..always will...only difference is 38 versues 40 mm..