Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Managing the static Weight of an Oil Head after surgery

Glad to hear you're home and in good care!
    Dan

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Good on ya and good to hear you're OK. Take it easy and rely on those around you for now. All good things come to those who have the patience to wait.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Get well soon!

Prayers and well wishes continuing...
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Managing the static Weight of an Oil Head after surgery

I have been lucky enough not to have any medical/physical issues yet at 58. But yesterday I was clearing out my cluttered garage so I could work on a Ural sidecar project I've had in the works. Was a good excuse to move out, start-up and exercise my r1100rt and Softail a bit from their winter sleep. In the low 30's but sunny so nice weather. Though the HD is a heavier bike it is lower to the pavement than the rt. I was thinking how much longer will I be able to push this Bavarian Beast around. Has become a chore but riding it... one of the best motorcycles I have ever owned.
    It has become harder to get up on the center stand as well. Maybe the bike is gaining weight and it's not me?
    I wish.

mike wex
    '96 r1100rt
    '99 Softail
    '07 Ural Patrol
    '66 Honda Benly 150

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by stagewex View Post
    I have been lucky enough not to have any medical/physical issues yet at 58. But yesterday I was clearing out my cluttered garage so I could work on a Ural sidecar project I've had in the works. Was a good excuse to move out, start-up and exercise my r1100rt and Softail a bit from their winter sleep. In the low 30's but sunny so nice weather. Though the HD is a heavier bike it is lower to the pavement than the rt. I was thinking how much longer will I be able to push this Bavarian Beast around. Has become a chore but riding it... one of the best motorcycles I have ever owned.
    It has become harder to get up on the center stand as well. Maybe the bike is gaining weight and it's not me?
    I wish.

mike wex
    '96 r1100rt
    '99 Softail
    '07 Ural Patrol
    '66 Honda Benly 150
    Yes it's gaining weight, the rear shock needs replacing. Your current shock is most likely sagging and you are actually lifting much more weight than before. Had this problem with my K. Put a new shock on and that bike will jump right up onto the centre stand for you!
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Heal up fast !
    Follow the Doctor's orders.

Still a learning newbie !

Starting back to work today

I was released to go back to start work today. 2 more months of self imposed hiatus from the RT. Things are managing and I'm moving with the changes..

Dadrider

Bounce back attitude

Dadrider, I had Prostate surgery with followup radiation about 6 weeks later. By the third radiation treatment I rode my 1150 RT to the treatment center. I had already had good conversations with the other male patients with treatment scheduled around the same time as me. The atmosphere in the cancer center was kind of "So what are you in for?" Felt like I was on the group W bench (If you remember your Arlo Guthrie) Anyway the day I rode in I told my new found compatriots about the bike and the ride and we were all encouraged and full of bounce back attitude. I believe there is something to the notion of hope expressed in action and that's what that ride was. I was 54 at the time and am now 6 years post without any recurrence. Keep the faith.

I go by Dadio with my grandkids by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadrider View Post
    1996 R 1100RT with factory side and trunk cases. I weigh about 170 lbs or so. Owned the bike about a year and a half. I'm 54.

I am being faced with prostate surgery in the next 6 weeks or so. I know I have a several week recovery time, I plan to ask my physician about safe return to riding and heed the safe healing time.

I can manage but sometimes it is a chore to manage getting the RT onto it's center stand. I can manage the weight of the bike fairly well at a stop. Has anyone been in the state of life other than me, when did you get back to riding, and how well did you manage? How safe have you managed? I bought the bike for my wife and I to take day rides, we have done a few.

I am hoping to continue once healed. This is the heaviest bike I have owned, although I have never been happier on a bike than this.

I had a complete right shoulder replacement a few years ago.

My DR wouldn't let me ride when I felt ready. He asked what would I do if my bike fell over at a stoplight. I said I would catch it. Exactly why he didn't let me ride for 6 more weeks.

Your body tells you when it is healed. Your DR tells you to give it time. Both right.

Best wishes on a continued recovery!!!!!!!
    I used to post here, but now I don't.