Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Atlantic Provinces 2013

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post
    Late August and September are my favourite time of year for vacation. The problem is that you are at the start of hurricane season on the east coast. Granted they're hit or miss, but hurricanes are huge and if one coincides with your trip you can be riding in rain for days. Got caught in one on my last trip out that way and it was full rain gear several days in a row.

I'm planning my next trip to the Maritimes in June for that reason.
    Please don't take this personally but that is one of the MOST erroneous statements regarding Atlantic Canada that I have ever heard!! Geesh!.... Bumpy roads? check... Interesting weather patterns? check Friendly folks? check .... Hurricane Season? WTF?

However, yer just messin' with him right? - Bob
    Last edited by tourunigo; 02-01-2013 at 08:13 PM.
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    Please don't take this personally but that is one of the MOST erroneous statements regarding Atlantic Canada that I have ever heard!! Geesh!.... Bumpy roads? check... Interesting weather patterns? check Friendly folks? check .... Hurricane Season? WTF?

However, yer just messin' with him right? - Bob
    I've been to the Maritimes twice on a bike, both times around the Labour Day holiday. Once in the mid 80's, got caught in a hurricane on Cape Breton, the water got contaminated by flooding and I ended up in the hospital in Sydney with gastric poisoning.

In 2009 on the way back from a trip around the Trans-Lab, got caught in Hurricane Bill and spent two very soggy days. Missed a planned trip around the Cabot Trail due to that one.

Based on personal experience, a well validated statement. Friendly people, (the best!) beautiful scenery, great history, one of my absolutely favourite places to go. Based on personal experience I will be restricting future bike trips east to the time of year before late August.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

Quote Originally Posted by 32232 View Post
    I've been to the Maritimes twice on a bike, both times around the Labour Day holiday. Once in the mid 80's, got caught in a hurricane on Cape Breton, the water got contaminated by flooding and I ended up in the hospital in Sydney with gastric poisoning.

In 2009 on the way back from a trip around the Trans-Lab, got caught in Hurricane Bill and spent two very soggy days. Missed a planned trip around the Cabot Trail due to that one.

Based on personal experience, a well validated statement. Friendly people, (the best!) beautiful scenery, great history, one of my absolutely favourite places to go. Based on personal experience I will be restricting future bike trips east to the time of year before late August.

If I remember correctly our Salty Fog Rally got whacked in 2010 by some extremely unfortunate weather. And this year we experienced sunshine, some heavy rain and angry seas and then being thrown into a 'spin dry cycle' with sunshine and steamy riding gear. It was an adventure. Our rally is held the week including and following Labour Day. However, our experience is (and any Salty Fog Alumni please jump in on this one eh) that the weather is much more stable at this time. June is iffy, tendency to be decidedly chilly (especially if you get that painful cold misty rain). All in all, we do not have a 'hurricane season' but....but.... the weather can turn on ya..... especially in the Highlands. At least during our week long rolling rally we have the opportunity to experience some of the weather alternatives (no snow though!) Coastal weather is often a 'crap shoot'. Always good to chat with locals regarding it. If the clothes are all hung out then you can expect a pleasant day for riding.... usually.

Bottom line: Ride whenever to and wherever in Nova Scotia. You will most likely come away with a grin and a few adventure stories ..... like life. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I don't care if it's pouring down rain or socked in when I'm in Nova Scotia, but nothing has yet beat the 8 sunny days -- in a row -- at the end of August/beginning of September in 2009. It can be nice like that in June, but it's a far bigger gamble. Someone I know, who may have an account here, did a five day Cabot Trail trip in June a few years ago and didn't see a thing because of the fog.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Places to Stay in Windsor & Amherst NS

Anyone with Nova Scotia touring experience know of some good places to stay while in Windsor and Amherst, Nova Scotia? Based on some posts here we've booked a cottage at McIntyres in Baddeck, to base camp for the Cabot Trail.

Thanks guys..

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    I don't care if it's pouring down rain or socked in when I'm in Nova Scotia, but nothing has yet beat the 8 sunny days -- in a row -- at the end of August/beginning of September in 2009. It can be nice like that in June, but it's a far bigger gamble. Someone I know, who may have an account here, did a five day Cabot Trail trip in June a few years ago and didn't see a thing because of the fog.
    Please check pm's
    Martin. BMW MOA Ambassador.17748
    BMW MOA Charter, Life member.
    Valley BMW Riders. British Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by dundee387 View Post
    Anyone with Nova Scotia touring experience know of some good places to stay while in Windsor and Amherst, Nova Scotia? Based on some posts here we've booked a cottage at McIntyres in Baddeck, to base camp for the Cabot Trail.

Thanks guys..
    Great choice for trail access. Be sure and visit the Bell Museum. Excellent visit. Now, while on your way up the trail counterclockwise, stop for breakfast at the Clucking Hen. Google it for the exact location. Great food. Windsor and Amherst? Don't have a good connection there. However, while traveling just past Antigonish stop at Mother Webb's for some ribs and beer. Ya, google that one too. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by martinPH View Post
    Please check pm's
    Hey Martin! Hope all is well with you folks. Looking forward to you two making it back our way ...... any time. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    Great choice for trail access. Be sure and visit the Bell Museum. Excellent visit. Now, while on your way up the trail counterclockwise, stop for breakfast at the Clucking Hen. Google it for the exact location. Great food. Windsor and Amherst? Don't have a good connection there. However, while traveling just past Antigonish stop at Mother Webb's for some ribs and beer. Ya, google that one too. - Bob
    Thanks for the info..

Quote Originally Posted by dundee387 View Post

Thanks guys..
    Either the Blomodin Inn or Old Orchard Inn. Both are great places in Wolfville. Not much in the Windsor area.
    NoVA
    '12 K1600GT

You are planning to go to one of the most diverse ecosystems on the planet. My suggestions would be see and experience the Bay of Fundy, then do the same for the Northumberland Strait. The contrast between the cold and wild Fundy vs. the warm water and the sandbars that go forever of the strait is tremendous.
    http://www.bayoffundytourism.com/
    http://www.novascotia.com/en/home/ou...e/default.aspx