Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Atlantic Provinces 2013

HONDARIDER

Atlantic Provinces 2013

It was just aboutthis time last year when I started planning my trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway from Western Massachusetts. I received all sorts of helpful advice, recommendations on places to eat, things to see. etc.. The trip was fantastic thanks, in part, to the information gathered here. This year I'm planning to take my GSA for a tour of some portion of the Atlantic Provinces between 15JUN13 and 23JUN13. I don't have much of an intinerary at this point, but I know I'd like to ride the Cabot Trail and I don't plan on camping. Any advice regarding noteworthy routes, motorcyclist friendly lodging, and, most importantly, good restaurants would be greatly appreciated. I'll likely spend the next several months poring over maps, reading trip reports all over the internet, and trying to figure out what the weather will be like in mid to late June. All inputs are appreciated.

Thanks

I did a similar trip mid September 1997, 8 days and 3000 miles with a riding friend of mine. We left from NJ, up to Maine and east through New Brunswick, crossing the Canso Causeway onto Cape Breton. 2 1/2 days of heavy rain and fog then turned nice. He was on a BMW K75, while I had a Honda CBR 1000F. We were fortunate in that my Brother in Laws father had quite a nice house in River Bourgeois just east of the causeway which we used as a base. In general what we did was tour the perimeter and the interior of Cape Breton. We left our base taking rte 19 North up to the Cabot Trail, then rte 105 south to Little Narrows. Some how we did rte 223 n to rte 16 n around Lake Brasd'or Lake to East Bay and south on the lake scenic drive and back to base. Next day we did a trip using the Eastern scenic route up to Louisbourg Nat'l Historic Site, then North to Glace Bay and West to Sydney proceeding to the Cabot Trail. Couldn't find a place to stay soheaded back to the Sydney area and finally found a place after dark to spend the night. Next day back to the Cabot trail, North to Bay of St Lawrence and south on the trail over to Brasd'or Lake ultimately back to our base. Next day we left Cape Breton heading West some how on rte 105 and rte 4 arriving at the ferry to PEI. What a beautiful place! We were running out of time so only did rte 1 west [shore rte] to Borden and took the bridge over to Nova Scotia. At that point we were heading out and back to NJ. Overall Cape Breton was great, nice touring roads, very scenic, friendly people but at the same time the economy has suffered [sorry to say]. Lodging was a bit difficult, but I can put the brunt of the blame on us for poor planning. At least I've been there. My grand Parents families had immigrated from Scotland and Ireland to the Port Hawkesbury area and I did take the time to see to scout the area where I know the had lived. Did not have enough time to properly see PEI which was a big mistake, but then again I wanted to go to Newfoundland if for no other reason to say that Ive been there. Very worthwhile and enjoyable trip, great riding. I can't give much in the way of lodging or places to eat, but enjoy you will!

Jim
    Janda
    2011 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by hondarider View Post
    I'd like to ride the Cabot Trail and I don't plan on camping.
    Start by ordering up the Motorcycle Tour Guide Nova Scotia, a compact tank-bag-sized guide that apparently now covers all of the Atlantic provinces. I see they are charging for it now; it used to be free. The 2012 copy is still available.

The Cabot Trail was a nice drive. I did it both clockwise and counter-clockwise. If only going around once, do it counter-clockwise.

I didn't have anything booked in advance (that would be like going on an organized tour) and stayed at Laurie's Motor Inn in Cheticamp and at MacNeil's Motel in North Sydney. Laurie's was basic but pricey; MacNeil's was basic and inexpensive.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    This year I'm planning to take my GSA for a tour of some portion of the Atlantic Provinces between 15JUN13 and 23JUN13.
    In June, dress for the cold, and be prepared for many days of fog in a row. Cabot Trail is nice, and so is the Gaspe.

http://www.currentresults.com/Weathe...ature-june.php
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Tom is correct about June..... real crap shoot around weather. Not really the best time of year but still a great ride. No camping is fine but you might want to have a sleeping bag in case you find a nice place with camper cabins. Thinking that you might like to ride into Meat Cove and use one of their new cabins. The ride in, seeing as you have a GSA (not that you need anything like that though), is quite a thrill and the scenery at the 'edge of the earth' is fantastic. Google them (Meat Cove Campground) for more info. Ask if the Chowder Hut is open. You might want to take a look at the route that we take for the Salty Fog Riders Rally (see signature below). Lots to see and do. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Hi, wife and I have been to Nova Scotia twice in the last few years, first we came on the bike via the fast ferry from Bar Harbor Me. , no longer an option, next we drove from Ma. with the car thru New Brunswick , neither time did we make any reservations till the morning, then we would stop at the information booths that it seems all the towns have. At about 11;00 am we would stop, plan where we wanted to stay that night, ask the lovely people at the info desk, they would recommend a place, some by experience , and off we would go with no worry's about where we will sleep.
    awesome trips both times, great people

Brian
    Last edited by yankeeone; 01-11-2013 at 02:32 AM.
    Brian

86 k100rt, 78 r80/7

Atlantic Provinces 2013

I did the trip from NC in 2010. We went the first week of June. Plan for the weather. Lots of rain and fog. The temp will swing wildly. Heated gear was a must for me. 30s and rainy to 70s and sweating very quickly. The roads sucked in many places. Almost too much for the RT. No problem for the GS.

We stayed in Truro coming and going. Plenty of food there, and you can watch the tidal bore.
    We also stayed in Sydney out by the trail.

The trail is awesome, but we only saw about half of it due to the fog and it was freezing.

I would do it again, but maybe not in June.

We did not make the plan over to Halifax due to the downtime drying an thawing.

No complaints though, a life adventure with lots of memories.
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

I lived in Halifax for 5 years (left in '02). June is not optimum. Fog is the biggest problem. Annapolis Valley is not be missed. The Blomidon Inn in Wolfville is an awesome B&B with great food. The Liscombe Lodge on the St Mary's river is another GREAT place to layover. They have 1 br cottages and the best planked Salmon you'll ever have. You can watch the salmon fly-fishing from the restaurant. If you're going to the Cabot Trail there are a couple of motels near the Red Barn at the start of the trail. Hotels in Cape Breton aren't like they are in the states, don't expect too much. Halifax is a pub town famour for the Celtic bars with live Irish music. You're also close to Peggy's Cove. Roads in Nova Scotia are rough at best. If you need service, locate the BWM auto dealer; in Canada the auto dealer services/sells motorcycles also.
    NoVA
    '12 K1600GT

Our trip was the second week of July last year (2012) so you will have cooler temps. Weather was warm with one day of heavy mist.
    We spent five days based at a cottage centered on Cape Breton Island. This cottage was our base camp and provided ready access to any point on the island. It also gave one bike a chance to tighten a few bolts. They're great hosts and the place was neat, clean and nicely decorated. Owner couple also ride bikes.
    http://www.mcintyrescottages.com
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexand..._Historic_Site
    A couple of us chose to ride to Inverness for a round of golf at a newly opened links course. .
    http://www.cabotlinks.com/
    Our wives flew in to do some touring of their own but joined us for supper at the Rankin family (canadian singing group) restaurant. Check their schedule out ahead of time to pick your choice of music. It's a small venue but amazing food and live music.
    We returned to Inverness to watch the amazing sun sets while walking the beach boardwalk between the links course and shoreline.
    http://www.redshoepub.com/
    These are just a few of the highlights but you can't go wrong with this as a destination.

Quote Originally Posted by copperless View Post
    Our trip was the second week of July last year (2012) ...................... but you can't go wrong with this as a destination.
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Registered marching ant Antaeas's Avatar

Gaspesie & Cape Breton

I rode the Gasp?® in 2008, and Cape Breton in 2010. The first one was rainy, but great roads. The second one was shortened by Hurricane Earl, which I rode out in a Coastal Inn near Antigonish: reasonable rates, bike-friendly and free candles while power was out. I used Salty Fog route as a guide, but missed their rally due to my work schedule. Maybe I'll ride with them sometime, but this September I plan to ride in the Dolomites.

On bit of advice for either ride: At the tip of Maine, I took a ferry from Campobello to Deer Island, then another ferry to St. George NB. Very scenic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by antaeas; 01-27-2013 at 07:58 PM.
    Antaeas

2005 R1200RT (Artie)

"Can I move? I'm better when I move." - Sundance Kid (by Wm. Goldman)

HONDARIDER
    Thank you all for the inputs and information. I'm considering a change in schedule to August based on weather feedback. Now I need to figure out what to do in June.

Thank you all for the inputs and information. I'm considering a change in schedule to August based on weather feedback. Now I need to figure out what to do in June.

Well..... you could take in the RA rally in June And, as for the schedule shift, August will be a better month for the weather. - Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com

Greeting
    Nova Scotia is great!
    Hideaway Campground and Oyster Market If you like oysters these are the very freshest that you will ever find. The view is great.
    Meat Cove Campground is the end of the road and a must. Restaurant is good. The camp bathrooms are a mess. High winds.
    The capital, Halifax is worth the spending the night and day.
    The Cove Oceanfront Campground The most expensive and nicest campground that we ever stayed at, we stayed two nights. No beer, fresh scallops and cooked lobster minutes away.
    tony
    We're not here for a long time
    We're here for a good time HUEY LEWIS

2007 R1200RT, 2003 F650CS

Late August and September are my favourite time of year for vacation. The problem is that you are at the start of hurricane season on the east coast. Granted they're hit or miss, but hurricanes are huge and if one coincides with your trip you can be riding in rain for days. Got caught in one on my last trip out that way and it was full rain gear several days in a row.

I'm planning my next trip to the Maritimes in June for that reason.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)