Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bar end mirrors for C650GT

Le Motard du Texas

Bar end mirrors for C650GT

Got Bike Bandit's DC folding bar end mirrors, but could not get them to fit on the C650GT handlebars.

The original mirrors are great (for looks that is), but they are mounted in the front and the blind spot is so wide, I can't see what's in the lane behind me.

I have been looking for a solution, does anyone knows of a set of handlebar end mirrors that will fit. Any other idea?

Thanks,

Guy

In some of the pictures I've seen, the Sport mirrors look wider. I don't know if they really are wider or if they will mount in the same spot as the
    GT mirrors. If you live near a shop, you might want to stop in and check it out.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

What would you do about the front turn signals?
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Quote Originally Posted by gbuchner View Post
    Got Bike Bandit's DC folding bar end mirrors, but could not get them to fit on the C650GT handlebars.

The original mirrors are great (for looks that is), but they are mounted in the front and the blind spot is so wide, I can't see what's in the lane behind me.

I have been looking for a solution, does anyone knows of a set of handlebar end mirrors that will fit. Any other idea?

Thanks,

Guy
    It sounds like you might have them aimed too high or too far inward - I can't imagine not being able to see behind me with these, they're quite large - have you tried riding with them in slightly different positions than you're used to? As an alternative, I think I remember reading that they make aspheric mirrors for the EU that you could order to fit in the normal housings rather than adding another set of mirrors to the bike...? (EDIT: Just googled this, yes, it's right in the catalog, see, e.g., http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/_common/...my2012_EAL.pdf and they're listed right there.)

On the Road
    Quote Originally Posted by gbuchner View Post

Thanks,

Guy
    no he is right. No workaround for these mirrors. Essent useless! bar ends would be an addition. As more complain BMW hopefully will engineer a solution (a new mount bring them 2 inches closer and outward). I don't like aspherics anyway. Yes sport doen not have this problem as bad.

On the Road
    C 650 GT ASPHERICAL MIRROR:
    Increased range of vision due to curved mirrored surface almost completely eliminating blind spot.

'almost' will not cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    What would you do about the front turn signals?
    Good point.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quack said in post #5 that bar ends would be an addition. A bit too much of a good thing to me, but it's his bike. I'll probably opt for asphericals, hopefully these are a US offering as well.
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Smile

Would it help if we have 180 degree rear camera that has a small monitor mounted on the handlebar?

More useful than a 360 degree front camera that has a large monitor attached to the tail light. Which isn't saying much.
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

On The Road Again
    A solution that is used on the modern Vespa is to use Jetting Barbells. Then you can attach a small mirror like the ones from CRG.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Le Motard du Texas

Thanks...

Thanks for the comments....Great ideas!

Have been busy with work, but as soon as I get a chance, I will look for a "rear-view camera". If that does not work, I'll try the Jetting Barbells.

Guy

On The Road Again
    The Jetting Barbells for the Vespa will not fit. Only suggested, as an example, you might machine your existing bar ends to replicate the Barbells.

I have to agree that the mirrors on the C650GT leave a lot to be desired. I've added 2" blind spot mirrors but that doesn't help in seeing what is directly behind me. Sometime the cars follow so close that I have no idea their back there. I'd like to add the aspherical mirrors but have a hard time justifying the cost... if it keeps me safe then there's value.

What are others doing to overcome mirror's deficiencies?

Daniel aka "Danners" aka 189928

On the Road
    hoping against hope that bmw will correct