Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Stators

Riding for the SON
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    Mine just died at ~30,200 miles. Dealer has bike. He mentioned the unit from Rick's as an option (I asked about aftermarket) but expressed concerns that the magnets might no longer be good in my bike, and there would be no way to diagnose until after installation on the bike.
    Is that accurate that the magnets can not be field tested? (I know so little about electrics, I don't even know where/which magnets he's talking about- in the rotor?) Is a magnet failure a likely associated problem, or is that something I don't need to worry about? Right now, looking at about $1100 to replace with new unit, or maybe $450 to replace with Rick's kit.
    thoughts/recommendations?
    I will be calling BMW Service later this morning; hopefully they will give me some coverage on my out-of-warranty bike, for this too common problem.
    I have not heard of the magnets going bad. I hear that the new rotor from BMW has ventilation built in to help it run cooler. My stater cover runs about 50 degree hotter than the rest of the engine. Mine failed at 52,000.
    Still OK at 80,000.

fwiw, I elected to go with the entire stator/rotor/flywheel unit from BMW. the improved cooling, the 2 year warranty, and some great service from my local dealer (Northern Colorado Euro in Ft Collins) sealed the deal for me.

I also discovered that my insurance policy from Dairyland (attained from a Denver area insurance broker that specializes in m/c insurance, at less than half the price quoted via the MOA process) includes free, unlimited miles towing. That was good, as my AMA MoTow would have left me 10 miles shy of the shop. hopefully, I don't get to use it again, but it's quite comforting to know that such service is available.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

I've recently purchased a F700GS (fantastic bike- BTW). After reading all this about stator problems, I asked the dealer if the newer models perchance incorporated the updated flywheel/stator.

His response was, "there is no problem. Don't believe the internet". Does anyone know if BMW updated the newer models?

Mike
    "To be a Virginian either by birth, marriage,adoption, or even on one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a passport to any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God."

Quote Originally Posted by chilibowlfan View Post
    I've recently purchased a F700GS (fantastic bike- BTW). After reading all this about stator problems, I asked the dealer if the newer models perchance incorporated the updated flywheel/stator.

His response was, "there is no problem. Don't believe the internet". Does anyone know if BMW updated the newer models?

Mike
    if i'm reading the fiche accurately, your bike has the newer stator (generator) already.
    http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...3&rnd=04302013
    Earlier models include a notation that they are now using part # ending in 422, but that it supersedes the earlier pn. your bike, and 2013+ F800s, show only the newer part, with no notation of it superseding the earlier version.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Thank you for the info. Now why didn't I think of that?
    I'll confront my BMW dealer and ask why they couldn't give me that info. Actually they are good guys, seems just not up on things. You'd think the Sale Dept. would know this as a sales tool so they could dispel questions.

Mike
    "To be a Virginian either by birth, marriage,adoption, or even on one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the Union, a passport to any foreign country, and a benediction from the Almighty God."