Thread: Global Warming?

Hybrid View

Global Warming?

I shouldn't complain about winter riding conditions since we have not had it as bad in north eastern Kansas as many (most) parts of the country. But there is a melancholy that comes upon me this time each year - well, aside from post Holiday cheer! - that can most assuredly be traced to frozen precipitation on the pavement. In this part of the country this is invariably followed by thousands of tons of, largely unnecessary, salt and sand, the combination of which makes riding a near impossibility until the advent of a serious liquid downpour! In my mind this begs the simple question:

Where is Global Warming When We Need It??
    Last edited by Lawrence_D; 12-29-2012 at 09:04 PM.
    Lawrence
    2010 R1200 RT
    2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
    http://lawrence-throughthevisor.blogspot.com/

I agree global warming never comes when you need it. It will come this summer, when like last summer, temperatures were between 102-113F (in the shade) in southern Kansas for weeks on end. Past 100 degrees, I ditch my bikes and travel in an A-C automobile.
    Andre Boening
    2010 F800GS and 2012 K1600GT

I rode up to Christmas day this year, next day we got the big snow and salt. Usually put the bikes away late November. Been a week now, starting to show withdrawal symptoms.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

I guess if I mention it was 78 and sunny for our annual New Year's Day ride, I'll get a lot of hate mail. OK, I won't mention it...or the fact that today was even better.
    MSF RiderCoach, Sport Bike Coach, Track Junkie, IBA, MSTA, AMA, HRCA, Factor Demo Rider
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 1990 Honda GB500TT
    Helmetless riders=Darwinism in action.

Quote Originally Posted by dwestly View Post
    I guess if I mention it was 78 and sunny for our annual New Year's Day ride, I'll get a lot of hate mail. OK, I won't mention it...or the fact that today was even better.
    OK, the weather was nice. Traffic sucked. And the roads are almost all straight. Some plus. Some minus. But Happy New Year anyway.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    OK, the weather was nice. Traffic sucked, what with all the blue-haired Q-tips behind the wheels, tootling along at 5-10 under the limit. And the roads are almost all straight, with the only thing that looks like a hill being a 300' long bridge over the inter-coastal. Some plus. Some minus. But Happy New Year anyway.
    fify.

if i could get out to the main road, I could ride. as it is now,
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    OK, the weather was nice. Traffic sucked. And the roads are almost all straight. Some plus. Some minus. But Happy New Year anyway.
    Actually, we've got great curves on the back roads, and no traffic. 80+ degree weather for the past few days and forecasted for another week...excuse me, I've got to go ride now.
    MSF RiderCoach, Sport Bike Coach, Track Junkie, IBA, MSTA, AMA, HRCA, Factor Demo Rider
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 1990 Honda GB500TT
    Helmetless riders=Darwinism in action.