Thread: going to vietnam in february

Hybrid View

going to vietnam in february

anybody here been there (not counting the war) and did you rent a bike there?
    any issues?
    thx,
    goo
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

In answer to your question, no. But, please take a lot of pictures while you are there and post them somewhere!
    It would be interesting to see the changes in the last 43 years...geez, doesn't seem that long ago!
    Thanks,
    Ken
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

I've spent the winter there 13 years since 1995 . Borrowed a bike many years from relitives but now own one.
    I've only been stopped 3 times. Without a license or proper paperwork for the bike, you will need to "donate" to
    The police or they can confiscate the bike. They will hold it for up to a month, when you get it back it may be missing parts.
    Be prepared for the most chaotic traffic you can imagine. If you haven't already, watch some YouTube videos .
    Never park your bike anywhere that doesn, t have paid parking or it will be gone.parking is cheap about 25 cents.How long are you going for &what part of the country? If your staying a while I can tell you how to get a license.
    The traffic situation & bike thefts seem a little scarry but the country is very safe in general.I love it or I wouldn't have been back so many times.

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

re:"I've spent the winter there 13 years since 1995 "

thanks,
    i'll be there about 10 days.

can the consulate in new york issue a licence? i gotta go there to get a visa.

Are you going to visit some of your old stomping grounds, Ed?

My daughter just spent a month there; really enjoyed it and felt very safe. They were travelling on the cheap.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

flew phantoms out of chulai

and was a foward air controller with the first marines around danang, 1969,1970.

"vietnam is not a war. it is a country"

You can't get the license at the American consulate. You have to go to a government translation office and get your American drivers license translated it takes about 2 days cost is about 2 dollars. Then go to the drivers license building get an application. Take the application to the US consulate and get it notarized ,that cost about 50 dollars. Take that notarized paper to back to the drivers license building ,your drivers license cost about $1.50. And takes about 3 days to get it .Are you flying into Saigon or Hanoi?