Thread: Wixom fairing for a 1974 R60/6

Exclamation Wixom fairing for a 1974 R60/6

Hey, guys, gals, does the wixom fairing that came off of a/5 fit on a /6?... With little or a lot of modifications, how about the instrument cluster?... I am looking at a fairing now on fleabay and the bidding ends in an hour or sooooo. Any info will help.
    Thanks again to all and Merry Christmass and Happy New year.
    Glenn
    ...driving to work on my airhead
    '74 R60/6, '75 R60/6(boxes)

I would hazard a guess and say, "Maybe".

The headlight diameter on the /6 is 7" and some change. The headlight diameter on the /5 is 6-5/8; if the outside diameter of the headlight ring is a snug fit on the /5, then no for the /6.

Instrument cluster clearance, probably a "go".
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Thank you Lew, that's what I needed to hear, not going to do it, I'll wait for a Hannigan to show up..
    Thank you so much sir.
    Glenn

The Wixom is a bit dated design-wise (IMO). BoxerCafe is repopping them, but mounting hardware is not available (you have to make your own)

See> http://www.boxercafe.com/WIXOMfairings.htm

I think you will enjoy the coverage that the Hannigan provides; it is a big fairing, but unlike the old Windjammers, it is light(er) in weight, about 15 pounds. Another "plus"; Hannigan is still in business so mounting hardware, parts, windshields, and components are readily available.

A couple of "Hannigan" discussions.

See> http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...nigan-Fairings
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=816438&page=4

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Hannigan. Point in fact, I worked for the Vetter Fairing Company from 1976-1981.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Yeah, the old Avon's were kinda neat and were also full coverage....HEAVY though. Nothing like those old Wixoms with the bags and lowers on the fairing.....very sleek and flowing....Beautiful actually.....God bless..........Dennis

I still have a Wixom fairing (just the upper 1/2) in my attic from circa 1990. Using the Wixom motivated me to buy a Hannigan fairing (back when they were made in Canada). Perhaps some people find them effective, but at highway speeds I did not. The full dressed Wixom with lowers may be much better aerodynamically. The Hannigan (as shown w/out lowers) works well with or without lowers for me (the lowers are nice when riding in cool weather).

As an aside, Avon fairings are being made for Triumphs and (apparently) Moto Guzzi new motorcycles: http://www.farleyandace.com/fairings.html
    It seems to me that this fairing (in 1/2 or 3/4) would work OK for an airhead. The Avon replicas are made in Pittston Pennsylvania.
    Stan

AH# 13238

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmo1131 View Post
    When I see this picture, I want to mount my fairings (upper and lower).

When I see them sitting on the shelf, I want to sell them.

Hmm..

James.A
    Well...Dude....go ahead and sell 'em.

The number of potential buyers is declining while the number of examples are increasing. Prices will eventually even out,...right up to the point to where it becomes a dead asset. Pull the trigger NOW.

I can't believe I'm giving away my Pirate secrets!!!!.....

ummmmm sell them nasty old thingssss, ooooo gotta run I see the moderator comming keep me in mind hehehe
    Glenn

Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

[QUOTE=James.A;846613]Well...Dude....go ahead and sell 'em..... Pull the trigger NOW. QUOTE]

Speaking of which....did you buy those lowers at Grayboy's auction??? Got a book for you, by the way....

Mac
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

James.A
    [QUOTE=PeoriaMac;847153]
    Quote Originally Posted by James.A View Post
    Well...Dude....go ahead and sell 'em..... Pull the trigger NOW. QUOTE]

Speaking of which....did you buy those lowers at Grayboy's auction??? Got a book for you, by the way....

Mac
    Regrettably, no. by the end of the sale, there were 2 auctioneers in the last big room and I lost track of some things. If you're talking about that big Wixom lower set, I think it sold for around $500. I did get 2 sets of fiberglass top loading panniers.