Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Florida Lighthouse Tour Contest

Mt Dora and Me, Light house and the light

When I whent there after Berry showed a picture, I went about 2 hrs from Holiday Travel Park and Campground via the back roads. Diverted to a great "Fish Camp'.
    got to MT DORA, found the "light" was told by a local that the light is maintained by the coast guard at taxpayer expense for this "LAKE"

so, here is the pcture
    MT Dora and ME.jpg

OH, the person in the helmet is Der Kaptain

Well Done Kaptain! Nice picture...of both you and the lighthouse. For Gene T: They don't make it easy to post pictures, do they?
    Chuck Berry
    2005 R1200RT, 2009 G650GS,
    MOA #94523, IBA #27506 National Parks GOLD (still OLDEST at 69 in 2007)
    Indian Harbour Beach, FL

Florida Light Houses

Quote Originally Posted by cberry View Post
    Well Done Kaptain! Nice picture...of both you and the lighthouse. For Gene T: They don't make it easy to post pictures, do they?
    Chuck I apologize for dragging my feet on this, I fully know why they don't like tiff images, and I complement Der Kaptain on his photo. I know exactly where that is, I have been there many times. Try the restaurant across to street, you won't be disappointed.

As I said before there is no motorcycle in my lighthouse photos, some were taken while I was on a job and some while on vacation with wife. Wife of 58 years (may she rest in peace ) would not ride with me here in the US but she would ride when we were in the Bahamas. Too much traffic she said. I promise I will go through the file and reduce them to jpeg images so I can post some of them.

Hang in there, thanks
    Gene T

Annastasia Island, St Augustine, FL

This is more a less a trial run here. apologizesSeascape 1,16 # 1036 Anastasia Is FL.jpg if it does fills your screen. More work may be required.
    Gene T

Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse, FL

This was taken from the restaurant patio across the inlet from the lighthouse, while enjoying the view and food. One can go directly up to the lighthouse from the other side of the inlet.1008 Juipter LH Juipter FL.jpg
    Gene T

Nice shots of those two lighthouses Gene. They give me perspective on other positions for the photos to be taken from, just like Kaptain's does. If you still have your bike I hope you will retake some of yours with the bike in the foreground. I guess you have seen how big that one pic is, haven't you?

The day I took the pictures of the Mt. Dora light I had lunch at that very restaurant you mentioned!
    Chuck Berry
    Indian Harbour Beach, FL

Florida Light Houses

Hello Chuck,

Yes, some of my images are huge, some raw, some tiff, and some are scanned from 35mm slides which come from my scanner at 300,000 dpi and like 26X30. I don't save too many in jpeg unless I intend or emailing them off. Hard drives fill quickly.

Yes I still ride, this past June I traded up to a 2008 R1200RT, with my age my mind says go, my body says forget it. However it is a great bike and I enjoy it, but my trips are somewhat limited.

I have photographic training, which brings me to this "subject matter". Is the bike the subject or is it the Lighthouse? I know this is a motorcycle forum but this one and and others confuse me. We have all seen your bike or one like it 27 times, show me the subject you are looking at. Sorry that's my training.

I have several others if you would me to post them, I also have some from other coastal states as well. However posting them here may persuade one of the mods to move it to the photography forum. You tell me?

I see you are near Vero Beach, not a bad ride if you want to get together some time.
    Gene T

The pictures are merely an incentive to ride Florida, and, as such, I guess one could say that the subject was BOTH the bike and the lighthouse. I love the one posted by Gene T of Jupiter Light, but it doesn't meet the criteria for the contest. Since he lives pretty close by and rides an RT, maybe this will be enough of a push to get him back out there on the bike and try to get BOTH in the same frame, and still get such a finely composed photo.

Its the ride...and what you discover along the way...that makes you a winner.
    Chuck Berry
    Indian Harbour Beach, FL

Tower Type Light Houses

Quote Originally Posted by cberry View Post
    I like it! There are no winners in this contest, except those who participate; and no losers, except those who who don't. Its about touring the state and having a goal, or reason, for the ride.

Good question about Mount Dora light. Its not an "Official" lighthouse, but is listed in McCarthy's book. I think it's there to draw tourists rather than serve as an aid to navigation. It got me there and I had a delicious meal at a nearby restaurant.

For GeneT, here's one of those 'tower' lighthouses...How about adding some South Florida lights?

Gasparilla Lighthouse, 1/18/2013, by cberry, contest # 4
    Attachment 37670
    Hi Chuck,

This is not the tower type of light I was referring to, for instance Alligator Reef, Sombero Key, and others which are surrounded by water. Alligator
    for instance sits in 20' of water, just adjacent to a drop off outside the reef to 125'. These and others are simply metal towers with open beams and a timed flashing light, each one different timing for identification.

My getting back out to re-photograph the lighthouses on my bike as you suggest sounds good, however some days it is simply an effort just to get up. So with said now that you have me occupied with this and to remain in line with your criteria and not make waves, I believe I shall post the rest of my lighthouse shots in the photography thread. However I don't want you to feel I am trying to steal or hi-jack your thread. So not to conflict, I could call it Nautical or Seascapes. Your thoughts on this are welcome.
    Gene T

Lighthouse, Anastasia

Here is a picture of the northeren light near St Augustine. Not a good shot but meets the needs. Anastastia Island

Great trip up from Daytone on A1A. walked on the Flats near mantanza state park, also rip off breakfast at tourist trap.
    DSC00698.jpg

By the way, which is stright, the flag pole or the lighthouse?

Anastasitia Light

Quote Originally Posted by mrtnfischer View Post
    Here is a picture of the northeren light near St Augustine. Not a good shot but meets the needs. Anastastia Island

Great trip up from Daytone on A1A. walked on the Flats near mantanza state park, also rip off breakfast at tourist trap.
    DSC00698.jpg

By the way, which is straight, the flag pole or the lighthouse?
    Lens distortion, the flag pole being closer is actually and normally distorted by the closeness to the lens, a longer focal length lens will not do that, or possible not as extreme. RE: stand close to a tall building with a short focal length lens and notice the curvature of the building, mostly at the extreme sides.

Perhaps if your camera has a grid in the viewfinder try turning it on and using it to align tall subjects. The photo of this light I submitted likely had a crooked lighthouse do to my closeness, that 's where photo shop comes in handy.

Good luck
    Gene T

Kep 'em Coming

Well done Kaptain...Yes, it meets the criteria. Gene has good pointers.

Port Boca Grande Lighthouse, by cberry, 1/18/2013, contest # 5
    85002075.jpg

This pic is a stretch since only a portion of the m/c windshield is in the picture. It shows the lighthouse better than the other one I took from a distance which only shows the tip of the light, and not much of the house.

The history of the area includes rumors of pirates is the area circa 1822, one of whom was named Gaspar, from which the area received its name of Gasparilla Island. The lighthouse went into service in 1890 and was threatened by erosion in the 1950s and 1960s. A massive conservation effort has managed to save the lighthouse from the sea.McCarthy's book, Florida Lighthouses, has an excellent history of this and all the other lighthouses. I highly recommend it to those interested in pursuing this thread.
    Chuck Berry
    Indian Harbour Beach, FL

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    Hi Chuck,

This is not the tower type of light I was referring to, for instance Alligator Reef, Sombero Key, and others which are surrounded by water. Alligator
    for instance sits in 20' of water, just adjacent to a drop off outside the reef to 125'. These and others are simply metal towers with open beams and a timed flashing light, each one different timing for identification.

My getting back out to re-photograph the lighthouses on my bike as you suggest sounds good, however some days it is simply an effort just to get up. So with said now that you have me occupied with this and to remain in line with your criteria and not make waves, I believe I shall post the rest of my lighthouse shots in the photography thread. However I don't want you to feel I am trying to steal or hi-jack your thread. So not to conflict, I could call it Nautical or Seascapes. Your thoughts on this are welcome.
    Your post has me reminiscing about the SORC's and Lauderdale to Key West races I did as a kid. I've use most of the lighthouses from St. Pete to Jax for navigation. It's fun to see them from land.

distorted lens problem, of course, question was a TRAP

Quote Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
    Lens distortion, the flag pole being closer is actually and normally distorted by the closeness to the lens, a longer focal length lens will not do that, or possible not as extreme. RE: stand close to a tall building with a short focal length lens and notice the curvature of the building, mostly at the extreme sides.

Perhaps if your camera has a grid in the viewfinder try turning it on and using it to align tall subjects. The photo of this light I submitted likely had a crooked lighthouse do to my closeness, that 's where photo shop comes in handy.

Good luck
    AH HA, you correctly got the answer, neither are crooked, fortunatly as a former Graphic's person, I also knew it. Usually I carry a few cameras but on THE RT, I dont always have the room, This is a small SONY and not very good but handy.

a easy Picture to HELP find the subject

I hope this can be of help..
    FLA light house.jpg

I notice that there are a few missing, But it looks good