Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: European Delivery

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    6

    European Delivery

    I understand that BMW no longer has a European delivery program. I am planning extended touring in Europe and would like to purchase a BMW for such touring. Without European delivery is there another way in which I could purchase a bike? My plan would be to use it for a period of time, store it, and return for later touring. Russ Deane

  2. #2
    Sir Darby Darryl Cainey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Fenwick, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,078
    Why can't you walk into a Dealer and just buy a bike in the country you want to leave it in?
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

  3. #3
    100,000+ miler 32232's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Southwestern Ontario
    Posts
    793
    This fellow offers just such a storage service for overseas owners. I have only read reviews of his service but they have been quite positive.

    http://www.knopftours.com/Web-Site/Welcome.html
    Dave

    '06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)

  4. #4
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Cainey View Post
    Why can't you walk into a Dealer and just buy a bike in the country you want to leave it in?
    Funny question, Darryl. Do you know what you have to do to buy a vehicle and register it in the U.S.?

    Let me see...

    you need a valid driver license or ID with confirmation of place of residence in order for the BMV to issue a title
    valid insurance for registration

    How would a foreigner do this?
    And now this is supposed to be easier for a U.S. citizen in a foreign country???

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    187
    Buy the moto here and ship it to europe like the rest of us do. Store it wherever you intend to ride next.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika
    Cagiva gran canyon/Honda cl 360 scrambler
    ride till you can't

  6. #6
    Sir Darby Darryl Cainey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Fenwick, Ontario Canada
    Posts
    2,078
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Funny question, Darryl. Do you know what you have to do to buy a vehicle and register it in the U.S.?

    Let me see...

    you need a valid driver license or ID with confirmation of place of residence in order for the BMV to issue a title
    valid insurance for registration

    How would a foreigner do this?
    And now this is supposed to be easier for a U.S. citizen in a foreign country???
    As the person that started this thread stated, he wants to buy a bike over there and ride it there.

    Why can't you just walk into a dealer and buy a bike, have it insured there. When you are finished with it sell it there!

    In Canada you do not have to live here to buy a bike. We have an ownership no titles.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Cainey View Post
    As the person that started this thread stated, he wants to buy a bike over there and ride it there.

    Why can't you just walk into a dealer and buy a bike, have it insured there. When you are finished with it sell it there!

    In Canada you do not have to live here to buy a bike. We have an ownership no titles.

    Because it doesn't work that way in most of the rest of the world.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika
    Cagiva gran canyon/Honda cl 360 scrambler
    ride till you can't

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Cainey View Post
    In Canada you do not have to live here to buy a bike. We have an ownership no titles.
    Darryl, In the US, title IS full ownership. If you have a lease or have a loan on the bike, the party providing the money for you to ride and enjoy keeps the title for ownership till you have paid all your payments.

    In Canada, it is same principle, except they call it a lien. The bank will have a lien on your vehicle. As far MOT is concerned, they give you the registration card which is really the ownership till. Problem occurs when you sign the back of the registration when transferring the title/ownership. MOT will not check for liens, neither does the DOT in the US.

    So in essence, buying in Canada or the US, is exactly the same. You need a drivers license for registration. How you get your DL is upto the person to get proper documentation to support your residency. A utility bill with your address and a government issued ID will suffice.

  9. #9
    R100GS, '89 Guenther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    338
    There is no such thing as a "title" in Germany. When you register your vehicle you just sign for repsonsibilites (like paying the anual vehicle tax, responsible for accidents/tickets if current operator of vehicle is unknown, vehicle safety).

    There is/was a thing called customs plate (Zollnummernschild) which allows you to register a vehicle as a non-resident for 3 months in order to export the vehicle out of Germany after that period.

    I would contact Knopf Tours. He knows for sure.

    /Guenther (away too long from the 'Vaterland' to still know)
    Last edited by Guenther; 06-09-2013 at 11:22 PM.

  10. #10
    BMW Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by montauk View Post
    Darryl, In the US, title IS full ownership. If you have a lease or have a loan on the bike, the party providing the money for you to ride and enjoy keeps the title for ownership till you have paid all your payments.....
    Although not true 100% of the time in general you will find a lien on any motor vehicle in the United States that has been financed. The only proof that denotes ownership is what is known as a "clear" title; a title that does not contain a lien.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    187
    In order for Stefan to ship a bike to Germany, you must provide an original clear title in your name. In other words if it's financed it isn't going to europe.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika
    Cagiva gran canyon/Honda cl 360 scrambler
    ride till you can't

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •