Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gerbing Customer Support = Black Hole

Gerbing Customer Support = Black Hole

Quote Originally Posted by lbarbee View Post
    I recently replaced my gerbings with powerlet.
    The powerlet is very well made, as was my original gerbings.
    In case you are wondering, the powerlet website says "designed and tested in the US".
    The liner tag says made in China.

I hope Gerbings comes out of this. I would rather support a US manufacturer.
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

The liner tag says made in China.
    Funny how when things started being made in China, retail prices did not reflect that. Greedy North American business!

A $150 pair of Nikes actually costs about $2.50 at the source.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    Funny how when things started being made in China, retail prices did not reflect that. Greedy North American business!

A $150 pair of Nikes actually costs about $2.50 at the source.
    Would it be reasonable to expect a $315 jacket/controller combo to include the two AAA batteries required by the wireless controller?
    Lynn
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

BillMoto
    Thanks all for your feedback and suggestions. At least it's good to know I'm not alone. Yesterday - in what will likely be my last Gerbing purchase, I picked up the basic on/off switch to at least get me through this winter before deciding on another option. Happy riding everyone!

Would it be reasonable to expect a $315 jacket/controller combo to include the two AAA batteries required by the wireless controller?
    To answer your question, you'd think, but that extra $1 would cut into their profits and they'd have to live frugally.

Wow, they are up to wireless controllers now. But then, my cell phone is 8 years old. I prefer lower tech stuff...it usually works when you really need it to. For example, an on-off switch instead of a controller, but I do have the latter that is now well over 10 years old and still working.

My bad. The batteries are included. Just gotta find them in the packaging.
    Lynn
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

My bad. The batteries are included. Just gotta find them in the packaging.
    Why did they bother with a wireless controller when the vest still needs "wired" power?

Why did they bother with a wireless controller when the vest still needs "wired" power?
    You can place the wireless controller wherever you want, making it easier to see and use.
    I've been thinking of replacing our wired controllers with wireless.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

My question exactly. The best answer I can come up with is that you can Velcro the controller wherever you like. I placed mine on the clutch reservoir. I puts the knobs closer to your hands, but can't say that my wired controller attached to my tank back was ever a problem for me.
    Lynn
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

...can't say that my wired controller attached to my tank back was ever a problem for me.
    Mine is in the side pocket of my riding pants.

Once it is set for the ambient temperature, it stays set. I never have to fiddle with it, and if I do, I just turn the knob slightly through the material of my pants.

One really does not have to see it. Its not like you are setting it to a temperature...there is no feedback from the jacket...just your body telling you it is too hot or too cold.

Mine is in the side pocket of my riding pants.

Once it is set for the ambient temperature, it stays set. I never have to fiddle with it, and if I do, I just turn the knob slightly through the material of my pants.

One really does not have to see it. Its not like you are setting it to a temperature...there is no feedback from the jacket...just your body telling you it is too hot or too cold.
    My wife made a holder for ours and we hang it on the side of our jacket. We do adjust ours up or down as needed during the day and with the bulky electric gloves it can be a little difficult at times to find the controller and feel the knob.
    We have got by for 10 years with the wired controller, but if it was velcroed to the clutch reservoir cover or hung on my tank bag, it would be easier to use,
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    We have got by for 10 years with the wired controller, but if it was velcroed to the clutch reservoir cover or hung on my tank bag, it would be easier to use,
    The wired controller can be placed anywhere, at least mine can.

My system uses SAE connectors both for charging the battery or plugging in my controller/heated gear. Due to its location (see pic), its an easy run to the pocket of my suit.

Facebook

Gerbings is getting hammered on thier own Facebook page too. It seems that the FB page is listening to the complaints.

https://www.facebook.com/gerbingshea...ref=ts&fref=ts
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    1996 R1100RT main bike & 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

No response for Gerbing

Quote Originally Posted by BillMoto View Post
    I'd heard that Gerbing had good customer service, so I'm especially surprised and frustrated with my current experience with them. I had a controller that died on me. I thought it might be under warranty, so I emailed them to inquire. No response. Emailed again and still no response. So I called them and after waiting on hold for quite a while, I spoke with someone who was helpful. She verified my controller was under warranty and gave me an RMA number. I mentioned the unanswered emails and she apologized and said they are busy. (Maybe less busy taking calls if they answered email?)

Anyway, I mailed the controller to Olympia the next day (from Seattle). That was over a month ago and I've heard nothing from them. I was really expecting them to drop a replacement unit in the mail to me right away, especially given that it's winter riding season. I've recently sent a couple more emails and even left voice messages to inquire about the status (all unanswered). This morning I tried calling again and have been listening to hold music for 25 min and getting ready to hang up.

Meanwhile - still unable to to ride to work on those chilly mornings. Any similar experiences or suggestions on how to get a response from them??

My wife ordered a jacket liner for me for Christmas back in early November. She has called them a couple of times with no answer or if answered a flippant response! She was told that she would get it by middle to late December 2012. Well it is mid-January 2013 and no emails to notify her of the status if they wait a couple of months I will just return it and buy a First Gear next winter!! Someone should point out to them that there are other providers of equipment. Should I be worried about their quality if this is the way they treat new customers?

na1g
    Wirelsss controller? I may be a pessimist, but I see myself heading up into Independence Pass, fiddling with the wireless controller for some heat, only to find out that the batteries had died... from the cold! Hard-wired is simpler; simpler is better.

pete
    An optimist sees a glass as half-full. A pessimist sees the glass as half-empty. An engineer sees a glass that is twice as big as it needs to be.