Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HID Lighting Supplier 2011 R1200RT

If your first bad set was on that 2011 RT you either got poorly made bulbs or somehow they didn't get aligned in the holder properly.

The key to getting an HID to work decently is for its hot gas spot be in precisely the same spot as the filament of the mounted H-7 bulbs that are stock. The H-7 bulb has a short and compact filament and the hot gas volume of an HID capsule can be a good deal larger. Either the larger size or position change can change beam pattern.

Not sure what brands to tell you but because none of the H-7 to HID bulb conversions come from the big names in lighting and aren't standardized dimensions in the way the DOT or euro approved stuff is, some variability between brands is to be expected. Also, there is in general a fair amount of very poor lighting of all types coming out of Asia from crappy halogen bulbs to poorly designed HID ballasts. Its always "buyer beware" if you buy Asian sourced lighting. On average the Japanese stuff is a bit better but they go in for the "110W fro a 55W bulb" kind of crap big time so you always need to be wary of deceptive claims,

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    If your first bad set was on that 2011 RT you either got poorly made bulbs or somehow they didn't get aligned in the holder properly.

The key to getting an HID to work decently is for its hot gas spot be in precisely the same spot as the filament of the mounted H-7 bulbs that are stock. The H-7 bulb has a short and compact filament and the hot gas volume of an HID capsule can be a good deal larger. Either the larger size or position change can change beam pattern.

Not sure what brands to tell you but because none of the H-7 to HID bulb conversions come from the big names in lighting and aren't standardized dimensions in the way the DOT or euro approved stuff is, some variability between brands is to be expected. Also, there is in general a fair amount of very poor lighting of all types coming out of Asia from crappy halogen bulbs to poorly designed HID ballasts. Its always "buyer beware" if you buy Asian sourced lighting. On average the Japanese stuff is a bit better but they go in for the "110W fro a 55W bulb" kind of crap big time so you always need to be wary of deceptive claims,
    I was hoping you'd post on this. I thought the same thing, bulbs or more likely bulb alignment.

Afterall the reflector and lens has not changed so these are the only variables.
    Last edited by Atomicman52; 01-02-2013 at 01:54 AM.
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

Ok, Who has a sucessful HID swap and where did you get the parts? Please don't tell me about someothing that is no longer available ( 1offmotorsports )
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT Traded
    2014 R1200RT fully optioned

Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    Ok, Who has a sucessful HID swap and where did you get the parts? Please don't tell me about someothing that is no longer available ( 1offmotorsports )
    Post #7
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

Thumbs up

Darn glad I bought mine from Ebay more than two years ago. Entire kit, 2 ballasts (Hella) two bulbs and all necessary wiring including good instructions. $35.00 shipped to me and an hour to install.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Rider on Ramald
    Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    and post #3

Hid

I installed a DDM Tuning kit in early December '12. My bulbs were 35W, 6K temperature. I love them! So much more brightness in front of the bike. For the money, it is absolutely the best farkle for the bike. No canbus issue at all. Install was easy and straight-forward. I put my ballasts in a recessed area of the mirror housing, using velcro strips.

Quote Originally Posted by siman00 View Post
    I installed a DDM Tuning kit in early December '12. My bulbs were 35W, 6K temperature. I love them! So much more brightness in front of the bike. For the money, it is absolutely the best farkle for the bike. No canbus issue at all. Install was easy and straight-forward. I put my ballasts in a recessed area of the mirror housing, using velcro strips.
    So the DDM 35W kit works on the canbus without an issue. You didn't use the BOW3 Error Code eliminator?. I e-mailed them and didn't get any answer.
    Harry Costello...nowadays I got me two good wheels
    And I seek refuge in aluminum and steel
    It takes me out there for just a little while
    And the years fall away with every mile

I did the DDM Tuning route; $35 for two low bulb kits plus $15 for shipping. Kits had everything I needed and it was an easy install. Hardest part was making the holes in the dust cover for the wiring to pass through.

Work great; much better illumination and cheap. I got the 35W bulbs at 6K color and am very satisfied with them.

Installed a Sportiva HID kit on my 09 RT

I thought I would add to this thread, I have not seen too many posts on HID conversions I went with a SPORTIVA 35W low beam HID kit from "fortemotors" on EBay, they included some small metal brackets that I mounted to the top speaker grill bolt, installation was pretty straightforward, I went with 4300k bulbs, I was pretty happy with the test drive after install, I did not get flashed and light output and the pattern looks good. I'm pretty happy with the install and results.
    -JT

Note to all interested in HID conversions:

After install and before buttoning back up set bike up with a wall in front of it and light them up. I found I had to "fiddle" the bulb seating a bit to eliminate flare and get back a more focused beam pattern.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

I've used both the OneOffMotorsports and DDM Tuning kits on bikes with decent results- on an RT, a K-GT and an R1100S, for example.

There are folks who advertize on other BMW sites saying they have bike kits but when you get down to details their ballasts are too large and their wiring harnesses by far too large and clunky to fit on most bikes though they claim to. Most of these folks do a bigger business inb cage parts and that's the best way to ID them. Good folks that support motorcyclists but not accurate in their claims.

A point to remember is that stock HIDs on the market are 4100-4300K which is where highest light output is, and all are 35W ballasts. The 55W ballasts increase perceived output only a little bit (remember the inverse square rules for lighting) at the expense of decreased bulb life because the bulb is unchanged- I don't choose to use the 55W stuff.

Re color temps, higher color temp does not mean increased brightness- in fact it means exactly the opposite. Those 8K bulbs are dimmer by a bunch than 4300K stuff. It is true that bluer wavelengths reflect better off signs but sign reflectivity is almost never an issue as signs are the most reflective thing in most road environments. In fact, reflected glare from signs hurts night vision past the sign in many situations no matter how much light is coming off your bike due to the way the human eye reacts.
    Bluer wavelengths also produce more glare from fog or rain than yellower wavelengths. For those reasons I still prefer halogens for my long range driving lights (FF50s running 65W Osrams)- though if I lived in a dry desert climate with few road signs I might prefer the HIDs or LEDs.

FWIW, my latest lighting escapades include converting my 89 Honda Transalp to an LED headlight (TruckLite, $200 approx, similar item also sold by GE, $280 approx). This replaces an H-2/H-4 5"X7" housing. A similar LED headlight is now also available for 5" round types. Both are fully reflective designs- meaning the LEDs point into a reflector rather than straight down the road through a lens- and should therefore remove the major fault of all other aftermarket LEDs, the intense glare of the central LED hot spot. It is worth noting that my experimental item is the only DOT approved LED headlight in existence for retrofit, AFAIK. Will have enough hours in few weeks to have an opinion on its relative effectiveness. It does light both high and low beam LEDs simultaneously and draws only 3.8A on high beam. No published lumen numbers I've seen yet but based on typical LED efficiencies, it should be better than a std H-4 bulb. (Note than on these older bikes, the electrical capacity is low so LEDs are a decent choice. my Transalp is rated at only 350W). The rest of the lighting conversion on this TA is a pair of Solstices SP120s (10W, 20 degree beam) on the protection bar though I'm debating changing them over to Rigid Dually.

Am also looking at the Rigid D2 6LED (3300 lumen) lamp for the central mount on an R1100S, replacing the microflooter there now.