Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HID Lighting Supplier 2011 R1200RT

HID Lighting Supplier 2011 R1200RT

Looking for an HID Conversion kit for my R1200RT. I know that a lot of members have used the 1offmotorsports products, but they are no longer in business. What other vendors do you all suggest?

Thanks,

Chris
    1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R, 1972 Commando 750, 1974 Vespa Rally 200, 1974 Commando 850, 1975 Commando 850, 2010 Triumph T100 w/sidecar, 2011 BMW R1200RT, 2013 Honda CB1100

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I use ebay for HID lights. You might or might not need to modify the low voltage harness (I'm an electronic tech). If you're looking for something that is plug and play, someone else will have to answer.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Rider on Ramald
    I'm very pleased with my HID 55w slim-lines from DDM Tuning on a 2011 R1200RT (replacing both low-beam bulbs)... no Canbus issues. Great price ($40 / pair).

Quote Originally Posted by IDisposable View Post
    I'm very pleased with my HID 55w slim-lines from DDM Tuning on a 2011 R1200RT (replacing both low-beam bulbs)... no Canbus issues. Great price ($40 / pair).
    What temp bulbs did you get?
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by Ponch1 View Post
    4300K is closest to daylight. Higher numbers bias towards blue/violet, lower towards yellow.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by IDisposable View Post
    That is a great price. Tell us more. What was the install like? Can you. Do both low and high?
    B-est M-otorcycle (in the) W-orld
    Have Bike - Will Ride

By the time you are done with harness and capacitor and mounting brackets they are more like $64.00 each

I went with Yana-shiki 6K no purple, no blue! Bright & white. Been in for 2 years, Flawless and a 2 year warranty.

http://www.yanashiki.com/product_p/hidh7-6k.htm

All balllasts and bulbs are not created equal. The Yanashiki is what our local BMW dealer decided to stock.
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

Quote Originally Posted by BinkleyLane View Post
    That is a great price. Tell us more. What was the install like? Can you. Do both low and high?
    High beams are a no-no. HID's take a few moments to come to full illumination, hence impractical for High Beam.

Try an Osram highouput 65W h7 bulb for high beam

Rider on Ramald
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponch1 View Post
    I got a set of 8000K, then ordered a pair of replacement bulbs $15! as 6000K. Put one of each in the headlights... gets attention and gives me the best of high sign-reflectivity from the 8000K and better daylight-like light from the 6000K. I put the 8000K on the drivers-right side to pickup the signs.

Rider on Ramald
    Quote Originally Posted by BinkleyLane View Post
    That is a great price. Tell us more. What was the install like?
    Well, they're pretty typical, you pull out the current bulb and drill a hole in the back-housing.. then you pass a rubber grommet through the hole. This grommet has four wires in it, two connect to the OLD bulb plug to bring power back to the ballast, then then high-voltage goes back through in two other wires to a new bulb socket... the bulb itself is just as easy/hard as a normal bulb change. I zip-tied the ballasts together above & below the Y-yoke that supports the oil cooler.

IMGP3051.jpg

Basically procedure as the install in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs9guxU1tzY

Can you. Do both low and high?
    I did only the low beams. I DO NOT recommend using HID as high-beams since they have a brief light-off flash and a short warm up period for light to get to full strength. This would be bad for anything but the wide open areas where they can be left on... use a high-watt or LED for that.

I'd be interested in how they actually function. From what I've seen, simply replacing the standard bulbs with HID bulbs creates excess throw. How do these function using the standard RT reflectors?

I had HID's on my bike for the ride o Americade. Removed hem and went back to the stock bulbs in the hotel parking lot...................in the rain! Hated the light pattern. I actually like the stock bulbs better. Yes there is 'more' light with the HID's but it is better focused with the stock bulbs.
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by sedanman View Post
    I had HID's on my bike for the ride o Americade. Removed hem and went back to the stock bulbs in the hotel parking lot...................in the rain! Hated the light pattern. I actually like the stock bulbs better. Yes there is 'more' light with the HID's but it is better focused with the stock bulbs.
    Whether an HID switch works well or not largely depends on the geometry of your reflector. It works great with my Vstrom, not so good with the Scion.

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Quote Originally Posted by MacRT View Post
    I'd be interested in how they actually function. From what I've seen, simply replacing the standard bulbs with HID bulbs creates excess throw. How do these function using the standard RT reflectors?
    Work great in an RT!

I am a bit puzzled by Sedanman's comments. I would NEVER go back to standard bulbs. Maybe he got some junk replacements or something seems amiss. The HIDs put out about triple the light at about 63% of the watts and I love the pattern! Go figure!

As long as your headlight is adjusted properly, no flashes from on-coming!

I'll try again if someone gives me a solid recommendation on which brand/part # to use.
    Paul
    "Friends don't let friends ride junk!"
    2011 R1200RT