Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pacific Northwest Ferry travel... routes/access; points of interest

I was actually thinking about the mountain views, like the one below. It was taken about 5-6 miles east of Hurricane Ridge, at the Obstruction Point trailhead. Olympic National Park is very rugged. The Indian tribes stayed out of the mountains for the most part, believing there was a central valley with cannibals and fierce animals.

As for bears, for all of the time I've spent in the park, I've only seen one little black bear and he was making tracks across a slope. The park does have the occasional bear problem, but that is usually on on backpacking trails where people have been stupid with their food. You will see lots of deer and, if you are lucky, Roosevelt elk. They are the largest in North America.

If you end up taking 101 around the peninsula, Lake Quinault and Lake Crescent make good stopping points for stretching legs or having a meal in a scenic and historic location.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Passport?

Quote Originally Posted by Oklabeemerfan View Post
    Did you find your passport hozer?
    "Passport" Don't need no stinking passports!

A hike & "high tea"???

Randy; thanks for that idea.... tea at the hotel, my wife liked that idea!

Rkoreis.... you got any more pics of that scenery; I could skip the straight up bear laden hike! Thank you for the idea, if weather clear...
    I go! Cant even believe that shot is in the region.

Plenty of nice pics on the ONP website. http://www.nps.gov/olym/photosmultim...tofolympic.htm

I'd be very surprised if you saw a bear at Hurricane Ridge. You'd have a better chance of seeing the fella pictured below, an Olympic Marmot. The steep hike reference is probably up to the top of Hurricane Hill. Not interested? Just hang out around the visitor center and enjoy the views.

Time permitting, here is a link to the major destinations in the park. They are all on the periphery, but some are a bit farther off 101 than others. If you've seen a photo of mossy trees, it's probably from somewhere on the Hoh drainage. http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisi...stinations.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice pics:)

It was about 15 years ago, my last HRNP visit on a CLEAR day. Been there since but the weather was closed in and views were not good. The bear was indeed there on the trail above the visitor center en route to ridge. LOTS of deer too, all over the place, even in parking lot. The Ranger was present on the trail that day, warning of bear issues and the one present. No issues came of it, as the bear was docile enough and kept its distance for the most part. A very worthy few hours spent, IF you get a good day for weather up there. Its a gamble as the Peninsula has a rain forest so closeby. The ridge has a very interesting history. One side gets 15inches a year rainfall(SequimWA.), the other near 200+ inches, towards the West and only a few miles apart. Quite fascinating to see. I worked there for 4 years. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    It was about 15 years ago, my last HRNP visit on a CLEAR day. Been there since but the weather was closed in and views were not good. The bear was indeed there on the trail above the visitor center en route to ridge. LOTS of deer too, all over the place, even in parking lot. The Ranger was present on the trail that day, warning of bear issues and the one present. Randy
    Never meant to suggest that you didn't see a bear. I'm just saying that the OP will most likely not see one. Or maybe my presence frightens them off. I've been to Yellowstone/Grand Teton twice and have yet to see a bear there. Packed in to Enchanted Valley in ONP, a place where the rangers are adamant about bear wire use, and didn't see a bear. But as you mention, the deer are omnipresent. It's kinda weird to get out of your tent in the middle of the night to relieve yourself and have a deer come up to within a few feet, waiting for you to finish.

One of the best things about Olympic is that it is not so overrun with tourists like some other parks.

Oh, yeah, if the OP is camping, there is a nice county campground with showers out at Dungeness Spit. Not far to the west of Port Angeles. http://www.clallam.net/Parks/Dungeness.html#CampInfo

Are customs much trouble, if your legal.... on the ferry crossing to/from ole' Canada in that region? .....

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by flyhi2cfar View Post
    Are customs much trouble, if your legal.... on the ferry crossing to/from ole' Canada in that region? .....
    Bring your passport, remember to leave any handguns behind and you won't have any trouble whatsoever.

Never see'em either;

I live outside YosemiteNP and SequoiaNP and rarely see the bears, almost never in Yosemite. They are there alright, they say! Mammoth Lakes,CA, not so far from YosemiteNP to the South has sooooo many bears, its rediculous. They hire a full time bear guy to control bears in that city. My time in NW Washington was all so memorable and very nice times. I go back soon enough, riding again. IF ya'll camp in the far NW, have GOOD gear as you will likely need it sooner or later. Its very green/wet up there at times. KOAs are around and offer pretty good camping in Port AngelesWA. and N.VictoriaBC/Canada. Man, do they have slugs/snails the size of monsters up there in BC Coastal areas! I camped at that VictoriaBC KOA and nightfall, these things came alive. Not harmful, but very wierd to see if never seen'em before. Randy

More ferry "change" will be necessary...

Those things run everywhere in that region....and deliver you to some outstanding areas!

Thumbs up The plan is set....

....and ferry reservations made; lodging also. Decided to go out and tour early July, before the "big show" at Salem. Victoria BC, WA & OR
    mountains & coastal... the pacific northwest National Park Tour I guess. Thank you all for the info & recommendations........

"travel'in" john

Ferries/Biker friendly:)

All the NW ferries are also biker friendly. You get on first/off first. Neat! Most of'em anyhow. The longer ferries have tie downs available, suggest using them on some days for the longer crossings. Most days are not rough out there. Long Knives and guns, bad idea for crossing border. Other hot items are coolers with food items, they will check it and keep most packaged meats, or check em close. Children(teens and younger) with no Passports, better have their Birth Cert. with ya!!! Prove they your kid's. They ask this TOO! Been their done that with my kid on bike into Canada. Not much else. Ferries serve lunch and beer and other gifts. Save your appetite for better on land, or carry a SubWay sandwich from town. Those two hour ferries are nice with some food along. Good cruising. Randy