Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tire Pressure Gauge

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar

Tire Pressure Gauge

The thread on tire pumps made me think about asking what a good precision tire pressure gauge for motorcycles might be? I'm interested in something that's very accurate in measuring pressure and can do so with some level of precision (for those occasional track days where you want to dial things in right). Any thoughts or observations out there?

Kent

I use an old fashioned high quality analog gauge from brookstone that has an air bleed valve (button) on the gauge as well as a foot long hose for reaching any awkwardly positioned valve stem on the tire. With bags and exhaust system it can be awkward to reach the tire valve on the rear wheel without the flexible hose.
    "all things in moderation - including moderation"

Been discussed before, but I'll chime in my 1.5 cents' worth anyway -

When I was using ÔÇ£pencilÔÇØ gauges, I would buy three different ones. Then I would measure one tire ÔÇô being careful not to let any ÔÇ£extraÔÇØ escape ÔÇô and get three different readings. The gauge with the highest reading and the gauge with the lowest reading got tossed into the trash, and I kept the ÔÇØmiddleÔÇØ one. Pencil gauges' springs DO wear over time, and they have internal friction that changes with age and temperature.
    I now use a digital gauge ÔÇô I have compared it side by side with many other gauges, and itÔÇÖs right on. By the way, mine is the gen-you-whine BMW gauge: itÔÇÖs about $22 US, and in ten years when its battery dies, I will trade it in for a new one! TheyÔÇÖve been selling these for many years now, and the package says Lifetime Warranty AND return for replacement! CanÔÇÖt beat that. It has a 45-degree head, so itÔÇÖs easy to get to the valve stem on my mag wheels.

na1g
    +1 on the Brookstone. Don't know if they are still selling the same model as I bought 20 years ago, but mine is still spot-on. Large analog gauge and bleeder are plusses for me. I've had good luck with a couple of inexpensive pencil gauges, too. One from NAPA (about 5 bucks) and one came in the tool kit of a Kawasaki Concours I bought in 1993 (imagine that!) They all agree within less than a pound. The NAPA lives in the fairing pocket of my RT for travel use; the Brookstone is the garage tool.

pete

I'm a fan of the Accu-gauge- http://www.ghmeiser.com/dial.htm

Been using them for a accurate fill check for many years. OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

iscream-stop
    Get a good l
    Longacre dial guage. not that expensive if you look at the length of use you are going to have it. I am using the same one I have used for years of racing and riding. 0-60 lb. dead on. I check accuracy often.

7. 12-08-2012, 08:38 PM

There was a pretty interesting two-part article in the MOA Owners News about tire pressure gauges awhile back:
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/news/general_i...gage_mysteries
    and
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/news/general_i...steries_part_2
    Last edited by jad01; 12-09-2012 at 01:58 AM.
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '02 325ci (Blue Streak)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

Mind is not for rent
    Quote Originally Posted by brewmeister View Post
    Have this Harley Davidson air gauge /thread depth gauge.The chuck is at 90 degrees for best fitting between big disks and rims.Good quality,easy to use,see the dial scales.
    I've got one of those for the garage, and a small digital one for the road. I've gotten to the point that the digital one is easier to use and is more consistent, so I'll probably retire the analog one.

EZ and digital

I generally carry 2 tire pressure gauges. I carry the BMW digital tire gauge in my tank bag for quick checks when I'm on the road. It is a bit pricey for a tire gauge, but it is pretty accurate and it is guaranteed.........I had one fail and my dealer replaced it for free. I also carry the EZ tire gauge that is part of my Cycle Pump that I got from Best Rest products (https://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-1...ump-gauge.aspx). I carry this along with a Nealey Tire Repair Kit which I think is the easiest and best kit available (http://www.tirerepairkit.com/whichkit.htm). The EZ gauge is quite accurate and functions "in-line" with the cycle pump so that you can make adjustments in tire pressure quite easily and allows you to be quite precise without a lot of fiddling around. This may be a little overkill, but better prepared than not, I hope this is helpful.

I'll be the one to say that bourdon tube gauges(like the brass case one above) don't stay on the money. The fact that the factory where I worked had an instrument shop with several people actively involved with repairing & adjusting gauges tells you something. FWIW,I have one(sort of homemade) that's off right now, so I go with the digitals.

Thumbs up

E-Z Air Tire pressure gauge. Have two - one in the bike, one in the garage. Excellent product.

http://www.amazon.com/G-H-Meiser-EZ-...air+tire+gauge
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Thanks!

to Jad01 for posting what has to be the most useful info on tire gauge testing and information. My advice: Go read it, both parts. Excellent, detailed work by one of the brethren.

Walking Eagle

I use this one. I find it very accurate to the RT's TPM? I bought mine at Sears but it's also here at RoadGear.

http://roadgear.com/programmable-dig...auge-p-41.html

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dbaliko; 12-10-2012 at 01:56 AM.
    Doug
    '07 R1200RT

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by omega man View Post
    i'm a fan of the accu-gauge- http://www.ghmeiser.com/dial.htm

been using them for a accurate fill check for many years. Om
    +1
    '02 R1150RT

While were on air pressure guages-how accurate are the TPS in our wheels? On my Cadillac I can drive down the road and watch the PSI as it changes from tire warm up.I think of it as a safety net rather than a true reading. I have checked it with my digital & seemed close, maybe within 1-2 PSI. My bikes don't have TPS.