Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Locate Old Post - Brown Sidestand Install (Improved)

Monza Blue 1974 R90/6

Locate Old Post - Brown Sidestand Install (Improved)

In the last year or so, there was a reply to a post showing in improved method of installing a Brown side stand.

The reply included at least one picture and I think the featured bike was an R100RS.

The improvement was to add a piece of flat bar stock to that the Brown side stand did not use the exhaust clamp as an attachment point.

I've been through the search feature on three different occasions over the last few days and cannot find this post.

Does anyone else happen to better at finding stuff; or, could the smart fellow who came up with the improved install re post the pictures?

Cheers, Barron

http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Monza Blue 1974 R90/6
    Nope! (But thanks for looking.)

That post shows the stock install which uses the exhaust clamp as a primary mount point. The reply I am thinking about had (as best as I can remember) a really elegant solution that extended the mounting plate, using a flat bar, up to the front motor mount, to keep pressure off the exhaust clamp.

I think they bike was an RS because I seem to remember fairing lowers in the picture.

Searches I tried were "Brown" (seemed logical) and "exhaust clamp". No luck.

Barron

Not in any way an old post on BMW MOA, but here is info from Snowbum's site: http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/FarleyBrownSurefoot.htm
    Stan

AH# 13238

Brown Sidestand Improvement

I know the thread you are looking for because I copied it.

Mine improvement is not as nice as the origional but it works.

Hope the picture show up!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

This is the way I modified mine.

And the front mount. Takes the stress off the clamp around the exhaust pipe and puts it on the front engine mount bolt.

Monza Blue 1974 R90/6
    That's it! Thanks a mil$, fellows.

Barron

"Takes the stress off the clamp around the exhaust pipe and puts it on the front engine mount bolt."

These modifications are unnecessary and a waste of time to create more complexity where the original design is simple and sufficient.

So long as the motormount bolt is tight there is no "stress" on the exhaust pipe whatsoever
    The forward projection of the original design to the exhaust pipe clamp only acts like a lock washer on steroids for the motor mount bolt attachment
    All significant "stress" of leaning onto the stand is taken by the motormount bolt and the exhaust clamp only prevents the fixture from rotating
    on the motormount bolt - very little "stress"

The only rational reason to do something like this modification is where there is a non-standard exhaust on the bike and the pipe is not there to clamp to

Much better modification if you think you need it is to use a better grade of motormount bolt - I have seen several Brown type stands snap off the
    motormount bolt

I disagree! after breaking the left exhaust clamp twice.

I put the bracket assembly on the modified Brown Side Stand and it no longer stresses the hanger bracket.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

I also disagree with the fact that the motor mount can be tightened enough to prevent rotating. I have made this modification on 3 bikes. On the first two (both moto-shock) bikes I did not even use the exhaust clamp, just let the extension take care of the stand. On the last modification (my Motorsport) I put the exhaust clamp back on, not to support the stand, but to support the exhaust system. I too have seen these clamps break because of the leverage of the stand putting stress on the clamp. After all, it is a lever about 14 inches long to the fulcrum (engine bolt), then about 2 to 3 inches to the other end of the lever. This would multiply the stress a lot even if the engine mount bolt is tight.

Wayne

I have broken the left side exhaust clamp once

Quote Originally Posted by DARRYL CAINEY View Post
    I disagree! after breaking the left exhaust clamp twice.

I put the bracket assembly on the modified Brown Side Stand and it no longer stresses the hanger bracket.
    I agree that there must be some additional pressure on the clamp due to the stand. I don't have 500,000 plus miles on my 1977, holy cow, just a bit over 100,000. I am VERY careful when I use the brown stand. I always look to see that that the stand is levered forward, then I watch it make contact with the ground as I begin to dis-mount the bike. My point is I don't just "drop" the weight of the bike onto the stand thus making more stress than needed. The other reason I do that "process" of carefully making sure the stand is down by looking at it is when I am tired at the end of a day of riding I do not want to make the mistake of leaning the bike over only to realize I have forgotten to put down the stand!
    Regards,
    Kurt
    1977 R100/7 1971.1972.1972.1973 R75/5
    1974 R90/6 multiple boxes
    Airhead Revival
    "Objects in the mirror appear to be losing" unk

'92 R100GS '81 R100/t brittrunyon's Avatar
    Adding the modification sounds like a good idea to me.

What bar stock should be used?
    ........not too big, thick & heavy
    ........not to small, thin & light
    ........aluminum?

1992 R100 GS, 1981 R100/t, 2007 F 650 GS

No Rules Photography at http://brittrunyon.com/
    My riding videos @ http://vimeo.com/user2721333/videos

I used a bracket used to stiffen the battery box of a power wheelchair. It was the perfect length, about one inch wide and about one eight of an inch thick, and chromed so it would not rust. I would guess aluminum would work too, the bar does not flex, only adds a fixed mounting point and the bolts do not support the engine or anything, thus if they loosen a bit, no problem. All hardware came from Sears, easy to get anywhere.

Wayne
    Last edited by toooldtocare; 07-19-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    I got a great idea from a fellow Airhead on how to afix the Browns to my RS without wrecking the header pipe hanger. Get these two parts from Motobins.
    95633.jpg
    95631.jpg

These two parts make a clamp that fits perfectly around the frame. You just need a proper length nut and bolt to attach the front mount hole of the Browns side stand and the header pipe hanger together to the clamp.

This set up supports everything from the frame the way it should and does not stress the pipe hanger.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT