Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 24K miles of twisties and dropped the RT in 7-11 Parking Lot

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by LngRdr View Post
    Looks like I've got plenty of company in the "I dropped my bike" group. It still gripes me though at how a simple glance to make sure the stand was down could have prevented it. Oh well, lesson learned I guess. Thanks for sharing your stories.
    I have used my sidestand switch as a kill switch since I dropped my bike when I forgot to deploy the sidestand. However, I must be getting senile because I was stranded once because I forgot to turn the ignition off after killing the engine with the sidestand.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    I can't find it with the search engine. Help would be appreciated, not only a mouse click to the article, but also what I am doing wrong so I can't find it.
    The forum search function isn't very good. Google can help here, using a feature that limits the search to a specific site. I typed this into google:

Code:
    site:bmwmoa.org "Don't drop the bike"
    site:bmwmoa.org says to limit the search to pages somewhere on bmwmoa.org
    The quotes around the rest of the search says look for those words in sequence.
    The very first result returned by google is a long posting by you. Here it is: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...-Drop-the-Bike

Hope that helps.

Slow gental drop

After a long ride without stopping I come to a traffic light, I stop in the inside lane second from the front, left leg is asleep and does not function or offer any support. Over to the left RT and myself go. Yes scratched side case and very damaged pride. My son in law comforted me assuring me **** happens.
    Gene T

dieselpete
    Quote Originally Posted by BCKRIDER View Post
    I know i posted an article "Don't Drop the Bike" on one of these forums. The article appeared in the ON. I suspect most of the people on this thread would like to read it. I can't find it with the search engine. Help would be appreciated, not only a mouse click to the article, but also what I am doing wrong so I can't find it.

Thanks. Doug
    Doug,

Here's the link.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...=drop+the+bike

Just type "drop the bike" in the search field and click the search icon.
    dieselpete
    R1200GS

Whew, I was thinking for a while there that I was the only one to do that "drop" thing. I had my spanking new bile for all of three-four days and did the exact same thing, except I did it in the parking lot of the BMW dealership where I bought the thing. It was pretty impressive, two of the sales guys ran out to help me pick it up. One of them referred to the damaged left pannier as character lines...

I like to everything to be symmetrical, meaning, I dropped my GSA on both sides to make the dented and scratched panniers look the same.

I understand there's a program out there specializing in parking lot safety.

Curiously, they recommend stopping the motor with the handlebar kill switch. Seems a really positive clue that the sidestand is properly down if the motor dies when using that method instead. Methinks that's a little heavier construction switch, too, i.e. actually designed for more frequent use.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by 188233 View Post
    Whew, I was thinking for a while there that I was the only one to do that "drop" thing. I had my spanking new bile for all of three-four days and did the exact same thing, except I did it in the parking lot of the BMW dealership where I bought the thing. It was pretty impressive, two of the sales guys ran out to help me pick it up. One of them referred to the damaged left pannier as character lines...
    I wonder how many people drop their bike at a dealership. I know I have. At least it was at night
    Lynn
    MOA #57883
    Current Ride: 1995 K75 Standard
    Past: 1978 Yamaha XS 750, 1976 BMW R60/6

Best time to drop your bike at the dealer is on a Saturday afternoon with lots of fellow riders around to appreciate your riding abilities... and help pick the bike up. This is also convenient as when you find that you've popped a rivet or three on your system cases the replacement parts and necessary tools are only a few steps away. DAMHIK!

OMG Mike!

24 responses in under 4 days, this has to be some kind of record, or,
    it's just that the weather is too cold out for us to be putting some miles on
    our ladies!

Have an 1150RT and wouldn't you know it, wearing my Teva's in the garage, and while
    backing her out to get some sun on her, and oooops! A leaf slip!

The worst part was that, I had to get out quickly bc I was also just
    wearing shorts, and my leg would have been all scraped up
    if she landed on my bear leg.

Worser is that I had to quickly slip off my sandals, and kick on some boots
    to get the traction I needed to get under her, and right her up to look at
    the damage. Thank god for engine guards!

I always visually check that my kickstand is fully deployed and your
    incident wouldn't catch me off guard!

Happy New Year All!

Jim
    '10 R1200RT - Ostra Grey
    '04 R1150RT - New Life in Upstate N.Y.
    '04 R1150R - New Life in Virginia

I'm a member in um.... Good standing?

I have an old K100, which not long after I bought it, I spent mucho dinero on having painted.... Yep, you got it.
    Dropped it late one night soon afterwards, after a long, cold (ish) ride.

Bought a 2002 K1200 somewhat recently. On a distance ride with some buddies, we pulled up to a stop amid some confusion over our direction of travel. Lo & behold, I'd stopped pretty directly, not having shifted down to first. Upon take-off, the bike made a gallant effort at launching itself in 4th gear- then gave up rather abruptly, and yes, fell over on its side. Argh.

Also, in the realm of dropping a big bike in front of many people - I saw a couple pull up to register for the Bloomsburg, PA MOA rally a couple years ago, and the gentleman dropped his bike in front of the registration tent!
    Be The Change You Want To See In The World

Me too

In the gravel driveway, front tire bumped a larger rock while in a slow turn= low side. Picked up the RT and got back on, only to drop it again on the same @#$$ rock...

Had the RT-P guards on around the bags so I didn't do any damage, thankfully.

Drop

Quote Originally Posted by ARGENT BRICK View Post
    I wonder how many people drop their bike at a dealership. I know I have. At least it was at night
    Not quite, but very close. I had just gotten a new Russell Day Long seat made and stopped by Sierra BMW in Sparks, NV to get my 18K service. They put it on the center stand facing slightly uphill. The seat was higher that I was used to and came very close to dropping it right there in front of everyone. Rode away sheepishly and never looked back.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jsoque View Post
    24 responses in under 4 days, this has to be some kind of record, or,
    it's just that the weather is too cold out for us to be putting some miles on
    our ladies!

Have an 1150RT and wouldn't you know it, wearing my Teva's in the garage, and while
    backing her out to get some sun on her, and oooops! A leaf slip!

The worst part was that, I had to get out quickly bc I was also just
    wearing shorts, and my leg would have been all scraped up
    if she landed on my bear leg.

Worser is that I had to quickly slip off my sandals, and kick on some boots
    to get the traction I needed to get under her, and right her up to look at
    the damage. Thank god for engine guards!

I always visually check that my kickstand is fully deployed and your
    incident wouldn't catch me off guard!

Happy New Year All!

Jim
    Strangely enough, I always look too, except that one time. Of course the real cause was me bragging to a fellow rider a couple of months ago how I'd never dropped it. He'll be really amused the next time we ride and he sees my side case.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post
    "there's only two kinds of sailors, those who have been aground and those who haven't been aground yet."

Attachment 36393
    If I were that chap, I would ease the vang then the traveler,drop sails run the anchorline up the main halyard shackle , and then kedge off with the lee shore with an anchor heave in to deep water and winch her back out to see mast first. Argh!

UJ