Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Laminar Lip for GT

Laminar Lip for GT

Looks like they're making an extension windshield lip for the GT (see http://www.laminarlip.com/c650gt.php) - is the person who helped them model this here? Or anyone else who's tried it? The GT screen is the best I've ever had by far but am still curious about something slightly taller and even quieter & less buffeting.

Jim,
    In the coming months think we're gonna see a lot add on parts for the scooter, my hope is the GS911 folks will adapt their code reader to it
    Happy holidays

Quote Originally Posted by JimInSF View Post
    Looks like they're making an extension windshield lip for the GT (see http://www.laminarlip.com/c650gt.php) - is the person who helped them model this here? Or anyone else who's tried it? The GT screen is the best I've ever had by far but am still curious about something slightly taller and even quieter & less buffeting.
    looks nice

Quote Originally Posted by JimInSF View Post
    I have the Laminar Lip on my C650GT and it works just great. A lot cheaper than a new windshield. If your still curious about something slightly taller and even quieter & less buffeting, the Lip is a great buy, it just works like a taller windshield.

IBKING

Quote Originally Posted by IBKING View Post
    I have the Laminar Lip on my C650GT and it works just great. A lot cheaper than a new windshield. If your still curious about something slightly taller and even quieter & less buffeting, the Lip is a great buy, it just works like a taller windshield.

IBKING
    Is yours the one they photographed? Any more pics? I would love to see it from a few angles. And it sounds like it reduced noise and buffeting even further for you? Do you tend to leave your screen in one position and/or does the effect change or become more pronounced in one position than another? Any info you care to share would be much appreciated.

Yes this is my bike I sent to Laminar Lip and I put Lip's on all my bikes even on my big Victory Vision. What the Lip does is move the air faster over the windshield so you can put the windshield lower and the air will still move over your helmet. Move your higher and your passenger will benefit. I live close to LL so I did have the benefit to try it before I buy it. I recommend it.

IBKING

to ibking: so you are satisfied with the adhesive - no problems? Read that if one has a heavy foot ( that's me ) it could come loose!

Quote Originally Posted by quack View Post
    to ibking: so you are satisfied with the adhesive - no problems? Read that if one has a heavy foot ( that's me ) it could come loose!
    No quack - it probably needs more secure attachment!

No quack - it probably needs more secure attachment!

Thanks, but a little too late! Said attachment departed my scooter at 50 mph last evening as i was crossing the intracostal bridge! Nice for the 2 days it lasted. but i will pass along your advice - for this windshield appurtenance one will likely have to drill holes to keeps its company!

Thanks, but a little too late! Said attachment departed my scooter at 50 mph last evening as i was crossing the intracostal bridge! Nice for the 2 days it lasted. but i will pass along your advice - for this windshield appurtenance one will likely have to drill holes to keeps its company!
    Ouch! Hopefully they are going to replace it for you?

I'm very happy with the Lip, but I will tell you this, BMW puts some kind of coating the there windshield and you must clean (I used alcohol) the area where your going to stick the Lip to. I had to clean it about three times before I was happy with the adhesive. I have hit top speed or rev limiter many times in Death Valley and no problems with any part of the Lip coming off. If you clean your windshield very good, The Laminar Lip will not fly off.

IBKING

I'm very happy with the Lip, but I will tell you this, BMW puts some kind of coating the there windshield and you must clean (I used alcohol) the area where your going to stick the Lip to. I had to clean it about three times before I was happy with the adhesive. I have hit top speed or rev limiter many times in Death Valley and no problems with any part of the Lip coming off. If you clean your windshield very good, The Laminar Lip will not fly off.

IBKING
    dang it! i only cleaned windshield with alcohol once!

Original post modified due to dumb question (or too much wine). Found some good installation tips here, however: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_IcJ_46EBQ

More to follow. LL is installed, clamped, and will do a test ride tomorrow!!!
    Last edited by DavidH70; 01-19-2013 at 09:03 PM.

IBKING
    Agreed! I installed mine Saturday and took a 200-mile trip yesterday and it was a major difference. While not perfect it was a dramatic improvement and made the ride much more tolerable. My only (very minor) complaint is that it would be nice if the LL plexiglass matched that of the BMW but that's pretty minor.

How clear is it? My big concern with this is that I currently look through the top 2" of the windshield when it's all the way up, and adding a second layer of plastic might reduce visibility. Thoughts/experiences with this?