Thread: 2012 R1200RT 600 mi service with unapproved oil?

Hybrid View

2012 R1200RT 600 mi service with unapproved oil?

I know, an oil thread, but help me out. Three weeks ago I took my new RT in for the 600 mile service. I assumed that turning your bike over to the dealer for service would result in the service being performed as prescribed by BMW. A couple of days ago I was reading the owners manual and looked over the approved/recommended oils for my new bike. I noticed that, unlike my previous '07 RT, 20W-50 was not listed as an approved oil for the new engine. However, "4 quarts BMW 20W-50 bulk" is what was listed on the invoice as being installed in my bike. If 20W-50 is still ok for the newer engines, why would it not be listed in the owner's manual? And if it's not, shouldn't I have been advised prior to service that the dealer was going to install a product different than that which is recommended?

Should I drain what was put in there and install what's recommended? Am I obsessing about something not really important? I just am concerned about starting the bike on 20 degree mornings with heavy oil since cold starting is the most wearing thing on an engine.

So, change the oil? Or get over it. I have 400 miles on the oil but the coldest days are still coming.
    Charlie
    Auburn, Alabama
    Current - 2012 R1200RT, 2012 CBR250R, 2014 CTX700D.

Quote Originally Posted by crawfcj View Post
    So, change the oil? Or get over it. I have 400 miles on the oil but the coldest days are still coming.
    I'd return the dealer with your handbook in hand and point out the error of their ways to them. Tell them to make it "right." You paid to have it done right, it wasn't, so they owe you. Plus it sounds as if they put dino oil in - I believe BMW now calls for synthetic right from the 600 mile service on the new engines..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Most of the people I have talked to don't want to go with synthetic til 10 or 20 k miles on the bike.
    It isn't unusual to have to use near to spec oil, as the absolute might not be available at the moment.
    I don't think it really makes any difference.
    Of all the miscellaneous oils I have put in motorcycles, I don't think it ever made any difference.
    dc

Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    I'd return the dealer with your handbook in hand and point out the error of their ways to them. Tell them to make it "right." You paid to have it done right, it wasn't, so they owe you. Plus it sounds as if they put dino oil in - I believe BMW now calls for synthetic right from the 600 mile service on the new engines..
    Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning in that direction, Don. On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to engage in a fight to have it done right, when the trust is already gone. Do I really want them working on my bike?

I would like to call or write BMWNA to have a rep advise me. Maybe that oil is ok (I doubt it). Anyone have a contact number?
    Charlie
    Auburn, Alabama

I would forget about it, myself, but Don has a valid point. You don't need to "fight" to make your point. Just stick to the facts and see where it goes. Their response will tell you if you should stick with them or not.

Good luck man!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

Hmmmm.... check out his discussion .... sounds like BMW may be suggesting 20w-50 Synthetic

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...gonew=1#UNREAD
    Ed Apelian
    When Life Throws You a Curve Lean into it!
    2002 BMW R1150GS - (sold) Replaced with '12 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2006 R1200RT- Granite Gray

And also that the dealer, when confronted, said you could, also, if you want, use what's in the manual.
    In other words, it don't make doodly whit of a difference.
    dc

Quote Originally Posted by GSinNC View Post
    Hmmmm.... check out his discussion .... sounds like BMW may be suggesting 20w-50 Synthetic

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...gonew=1#UNREAD
    I followed that thread and the last post mentioned that BMW had indicated synthetic for the camheads, but nothing about 20W-50.

By the way, here are the approved oils listed in the manual:

Engine oil
    Engine oil, capacity max 1.1 gal (max 4.0 l), with filter change
    products recommended by BMW Motorrad and generally permissible viscosity classes
    SAE 5W-40, API SF/ACEA A2, or better ≥-4 ??F (≥-20 ??C)
    SAE 5W-≥50, API SF/ACEA A2, or better ≥-4 ??F (≥-20 ??C)
    SAE 10W-40, API SF/ACEA A2, or better ≥14 ??F (≥-10 ??C)
    SAE 10W-≥50, API SF/ACEA A2, or better ≥-4 ??F (≥-20 ??C)
    SAE 15W-≥40, API SF/ACEA A2, or better ≥32 ??F (≥0 ??C)
    Charlie
    Auburn, Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by crawfcj View Post
    I know, an oil thread, but help me out. Three weeks ago I took my new RT in for the 600 mile service. I assumed that turning your bike over to the dealer for service would result in the service being performed as prescribed by BMW. A couple of days ago I was reading the owners manual and looked over the approved/recommended oils for my new bike. I noticed that, unlike my previous '07 RT, 20W-50 was not listed as an approved oil for the new engine. However, "4 quarts BMW 20W-50 bulk" is what was listed on the invoice as being installed in my bike. If 20W-50 is still ok for the newer engines, why would it not be listed in the owner's manual? And if it's not, shouldn't I have been advised prior to service that the dealer was going to install a product different than that which is recommended?

Should I drain what was put in there and install what's recommended? Am I obsessing about something not really important? I just am concerned about starting the bike on 20 degree mornings with heavy oil since cold starting is the most wearing thing on an engine.

crawfcj:

You don't want to use 20/50 in cold weather. You don't want to use synthetic until 30,000 miles or until the engine completely stops using oil. I don't think 20/50 would hurt anything in the heat of summer or at a track day, but not for cold weather. It needs to flow.

Quote Originally Posted by rtwiz View Post
    crawfcj:

You don't want to use 20/50 in cold weather. You don't want to use synthetic until 30,000 miles or until the engine completely stops using oil.
    The manual says 6K for synthetic. As far as stop using oil, it hasn't yet with over 15K on it. It's gotten better, but it still uses a quart every 3K miles, may be 3500.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Quote Originally Posted by Ponch1 View Post
    The manual says 6K for synthetic. As far as stop using oil, it hasn't yet with over 15K on it. It's gotten better, but it still uses a quart every 3K miles, may be 3500.
    Ya know, ya tell people, they don't believe you. Did you put synth in it? If you did, take it out and run non-synth. I'd change it again, with filter change again at 1500 miles just to make sure all the synth is gone. Then ride gently until it's warmed up, then use the revs a lot. How much oil it uses depends on how hard you run it. Harder = more oil (and rear tire) use short term but also means it's going to break in faster. Never flog it until it's fully warmed up. It's unusual for oil use to stop before 20K. If you run it hard all the time, it could happen, but it's unusual. Mine took about 25,000 but I had one change of synthetic when I should have.

BMW car engines don't require break-in anymore. They use special synthetic from the start and the tolerances are so close out of the box. Water-cooled and very precisely managed. These engines are definitely not the same tech. It will be interesting to see what the new water-cooled boxers require in terms of oil and break-in.

I'm waiting for the day when they put Valvetronic, direct injection and Dual-VANOS on these bikes....Yeeha!

Quote Originally Posted by rtwiz View Post
    Ya know, ya tell people, they don't believe you. Did you put synth in it? If you did, take it out and run non-synth. I'd change it again, with filter change again at 1500 miles just to make sure all the synth is gone. Then ride gently until it's warmed up, then use the revs a lot. How much oil it uses depends on how hard you run it. Harder = more oil (and rear tire) use short term but also means it's going to break in faster. Never flog it until it's fully warmed up. It's unusual for oil use to stop before 20K. If you run it hard all the time, it could happen, but it's unusual. Mine took about 25,000 but I had one change of synthetic when I should have.

BMW car engines don't require break-in anymore. They use special synthetic from the start and the tolerances are so close out of the box. Water-cooled and very precisely managed. These engines are definitely not the same tech. It will be interesting to see what the new water-cooled boxers require in terms of oil and break-in.

I'm waiting for the day when they put Valvetronic, direct injection and Dual-VANOS on these bikes....Yeeha!

I switched at 12K miles. The thing is, I moved to a very hot area or should I say it gets hot in the summer (110+). I had been using castrol 4T and now mobil 1.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Odd how we have different experiences with oil use. I have run in 13 new BMW's since early '01. The worst oil user was 1/3 qt in the first 6k miles. I have gone from miami to nova scotia and back starting at 800 miles and added ZERO oil. I baby the bike for the first 50 miles then flog it hard till the 600 mile check. After that, I run it normally and I rarely add oil between 6k changes. I avg. about 35k a year and use BMW oil/20-50 on prior to '10 and 10-40 on later moto's. Used dino on the first 11 and now use syn after 6k on the last 1. Plan to switch at 6k on this one as well. I sure would not drain and refill twice to get rid of the syn. Ride the bike and enjoy.
    Marty Hill
    12 GS black/Boxer Cup Replika

ride till you can't