Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2005 R1200RT Final drive failure

grfinden

Preventive Maintenance

"The large bearing in the FD on our bikes is a known failure site."

I do believe I'll be putting in the NSK bearing as a preventative measure. Seems to be the only MAJOR weak point in the whole bike. I'd hate to be on a trip somewhere on my 2006 R1200RT and have this bearing fail!

Quote Originally Posted by grfinden View Post
    "The large bearing in the FD on our bikes is a known failure site."

I do believe I'll be putting in the NSK bearing as a preventative measure. Seems to be the only MAJOR weak point in the whole bike. I'd hate to be on a trip somewhere on my 2006 R1200RT and have this bearing fail!
    I just ordered the NSK replacement bearing ($109) from Rob at Hermy's in PA. He keeps them in stock. 610-562-7303.
    "To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex." MK

Quote Originally Posted by Jankoman View Post
    I just ordered the NSK replacement bearing ($109) from Rob at Hermy's in PA. He keeps them in stock. 610-562-7303.
    Do you have the part number?
    Karl
    2007 R1200ST

Nsk 6013vvc3

Quote Originally Posted by kthutchinson View Post
    do you have the part number?
    nsk 6013vvc3
    "To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex." MK

i got a 2010 r12r which loves me

but it probably ain't gonna be replaced with another bmw. weak dealer network is one issue but let's face it... bmw's just ain't all they're cracked up to be. there may be emotional or 'image' reasons for buying one but few if any technical reasons.

in any case, for the kind of riding i do i'm really, really liking this machine. its got all the emotional/ technical/ dealer support stuff i would ever need need.
    fwiw, i really think a retro bmw would sell well in the u.s.

8264528178_388fc73d38.jpg
    Last edited by f14rio; 01-06-2013 at 03:50 PM.
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post
    but it probably ain't gonna be replaced with another bmw. weak dealer network is one issue but let's face it... bmw's just ain't all they're cracked up to be. there may be emotional or 'image' reasons for buying one but few if any technical reasons.

in any case, for the kind of riding i do i'm really, really liking this machine. its got all the emotional/ technical/ dealer support stuff i would ever need need.

8264528178_388fc73d38.jpg
    It would be nice if Team Green came out with something like that, but whenever they do, it doesn't sell well. The ZRX1200 comes to mind and then the Zephyr before that.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

2009 BMW R1200RT Main Bearing Failure

The precision bearing of which the main bearing is comprised, has a grease seal that broke down and ultimately allowed the grease to leak out (resulting in the cage that holds the bearings in place disintegrating), and into the body of the FD. The question that I have is whether the bearing seal failure was as a result of other components failing such as the seals within the FD failing and causing oil loss (the pinion and ring were in perfect shape BTW), or if the bearing failure subsequently led to the catastrophic failure of the seals based on the compromised state of the drive (and subsequent lateral movement of the hollow driven axle shaft that is attached to the flange to which the wheel is attached). Anyone who has experienced FD failure and has anecdotal evidence is welcome to chime in here. Those who have the vintage 2005-2013 R class bikes I would be particularly interested to hear from in this regard..

Thanks!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jdewi1 View Post
    The precision bearing of which the main bearing is comprised, has a grease seal that broke down and ultimately allowed the grease to leak out (resulting in the cage that holds the bearings in place disintegrating), and into the body of the FD. The question that I have is whether the bearing seal failure was as a result of other components failing such as the seals within the FD failing and causing oil loss (the pinion and ring were in perfect shape BTW), or if the bearing failure subsequently led to the catastrophic failure of the seals based on the compromised state of the drive (and subsequent lateral movement of the hollow driven axle shaft that is attached to the flange to which the wheel is attached). Anyone who has experienced FD failure and has anecdotal evidence is welcome to chime in here. Those who have the vintage 2005-2013 R class bikes I would be particularly interested to hear from in this regard..

Thanks!

Jeff
    Jeff,

I'm confused. The "main bearing" - I must assume is the crown wheel big bearing (the one near the wheel flange), which is external to the actual drive. This had a seal fail and the grease from it somehow found it's way into the drive?

I believe if that bearing fails - the shaft of the crown gear will move around, likely enough to damage the seal for the shaft in the rear-drive housing. I think that's what you're asking..

BTW - I think it might be a tad more understandable if you broke out your questions into separate paragraphs, just for readability and to make it easier to formulate a reply.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by f14rio View Post
    As far as I know - there is still a waiting list for the R-Nine-T (at my local dealer the list has quite a few people on it.) That's about as retro as BMW is going to get IMHO.. they're not coming out with a new airhead engine in the hope of capturing a small retro market for one.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Another opinion

The one thing I have yet to read is that like anything mechanical, there is a timeline of service given its use.
    My 2006 RT was close to 80,000 km's when I had the FD rebuilt at my expense. I usually ride two up and like anything mechanical there is wear and indeed an expected life. These final drives dont last forever, nothing does. I have issues with BMW for several reasons, but I also respect the fact that even with scheduled maintenance, all things mechanical wear out.
    I ride my bike like I rented it, usually two of us are on it and I avoid Freeway boredom whenever possible. Getting 80,000 km's out of my final drive did not seem like too much to ask and having it rebuilt gives me some belief I will be able to safely get another 80k. Oddly, my bike tracks straighter now that it has been rebuilt. I would not have asked my engine to go that far without changing the oil and everything is based on expectations. I expect my bike to get me home because I maintain its' functionality. Valve adjustment, throttle body sync, spline lube, etc. I did change all drive fluids without any encouragement from forums or the manufacturer. I changed the fluids for peace of mind knowing it was for the bast of my riding experience and personal safety.
    I don't like that BMW decided to change the turn signals to left hand only. It did not take long to adjust from my old trustly Concours to the BMW way of thinking and I believe they sold out in an effort to sell more bikes to those who rode other brands and whined about the switchgear after one ride.
    Don't get me wrong. I am not defending BMW in any manner regarding final drives. I defend those who maintain their ride and who understand that there is no life expectancy for anything. One who rides to work solo without gear and never exceeds 4000 rpm may experience failure before the guy who rides cross country two up at 4500 rpm. Nothing is a given in life. Just go and ride and maintain the bike as you see fit.
    Ride to live, live to ride safely!
    Peace

oil changed 07RT 110 kms

Changed oil in FD this aft, first time in 3 years and 50K kms, a little dark. Changed tranny oil first time in four years, 60K kms, a little dark but expected that. More to the point, apart from several tiny metal particles, all is good. Shook the rear wheel and no free play either so I'm pleased. I maintain bike myself and it is still a solid runner; if final drive goes one day, like others I will rebuild it + carry on.
    1983 R80RT
    2007 R1200RT

The bearing is available through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Nsk-6013VVC3-S.../dp/B00DBOD0Z4
    2007 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by crazy horse View Post
    Add me to the growing list. My ring gear on my final drive is toast at 47,000 miles.
    Many thanks to my local dealer Schlossman's BMW of Milwaukee who went to bat for me with BMW NA offering that I would pay half the price of a new FD and they would do the labor for free. { I did have it removed from the bike}. BMW has declined that idea of goodwill saying the bike is "too far out".
    Back in the 70's I would have taken that as a compliment, now it just makes me want to disconnect from a motorcycle company that I would not long ago have boasted made the best long distance bike.
    Now, when that conversation comes up I think I'll clam up.
    By the way, I changed the "Forever fluid" in that drive at 27,000 miles and used BMW synthetic.
    I don't get it. I have an '05 RT, I have read the owners manual several times, and now have the maintenance disk; haven't come across "forever fluid" (maybe the mineral oil in the clutch reservoir) anywhere. My operators manual and maintenance manual calls for a scheduled oil change every 12,427 miles (20,000 km or 24 months. There is a 500 mile break in oil on new FD's that has to be changed. If the first oil change you performed on the bike was 27,000 miles, you were not properly maintaining that component and should expect it to fail. Another poster on this thread also boasts of excessive miles between properly scheduled oil changes on final drive and xmsn but seems to be ok with his cost savings and is fully expecting to rebuild it when it fails, but I doubt it. It will probably fail at the worst possible time and he too will be like, BMW's suck, final drives suck, I want a refund.
    My final drive did not fail. I rode it for months trying to figure out what was wrong with it. Once I realized it was the final drive I rode it two hours to Pensacola BMW where they replaced it with a new one for $650. (My definition of failure is catastrophic and unriideable. Riding 150 miles to dealer to replace a worn out part, not a failure)
    My new drive (my old one was not maintained by me the first 23,000 miles) has had and will have all the proper maintenance new out of the box, I expect it to last a very long time. Any component, no matter how well engineered will fail if not properly maintained.
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."

I have an 08. I was told of
    The forever fluid by my dealer. This story is supported by the fact that there is no drain port on the original FD. I will have to check my manual.
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

Quote Originally Posted by lbarbee View Post
    I have an 08. I was told of
    The forever fluid by my dealer. This story is supported by the fact that there is no drain port on the original FD. I will have to check my manual.
    My original 2005 FD came with a drain plug prior to 2005 were talking 1150's and that's a different bike. Every R1200RT (2005 first model year) has had a drain plug and filler port. Original oil called for 220ml later manuals brought down to 180ml of oil. If 1150's or even earlier designed final drives had forever oil I don't think we could apply that to 1200's.
    2005 R1200RT
    BMWMOA # 143779
    "Positive Habit Transfer is no substitute for Situational Awareness."