Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2005 R1200RT Final drive failure

Hybrid View

2005 R1200RT Final drive failure

Add me to the growing list. My ring gear on my final drive is toast at 47,000 miles.
    Many thanks to my local dealer Schlossman's BMW of Milwaukee who went to bat for me with BMW NA offering that I would pay half the price of a new FD and they would do the labor for free. { I did have it removed from the bike}. BMW has declined that idea of goodwill saying the bike is "too far out".
    Back in the 70's I would have taken that as a compliment, now it just makes me want to disconnect from a motorcycle company that I would not long ago have boasted made the best long distance bike.
    Now, when that conversation comes up I think I'll clam up.
    By the way, I changed the "Forever fluid" in that drive at 27,000 miles and used BMW synthetic.

Welcome to an unfortunate and growing club.

My '05 puked at 49,000, and is again getting 'loose.'

Not much help from BMW either.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

It is very interesting when BMW helps and doesn't help. Probably the mood of the rep that day.
    They know these things are puking all over.
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

Btw, prior to my failure I would say my RT was the best bike ever made. Now it just good. Another failure and its just okay.
    Lynn
    2008 BMW R1200RT (most fun you can legally have)
    2002 BMW R1150RT
    2008 Kawasaki Versys

Crazy Horse,

Please submit a complaint to the NHTSA Office of Defects Investigation (ODI). Here's the link: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/.

If enough of us submit complaints, it may be easier to force a recall.
    Karl
    2007 R1200ST

What do you mean by "My ring gear is toast"?
    Anton Largiader 72724
    largiader.com bmwra.org

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    What do you mean by "My ring gear is toast"?
    This part. Which I cannot buy seperate of the entire unit.

Rally Rat
    Are you concerned about the fretting where the ball bearing mounts, or is there something I'm missing?

On my 08 RT it seemed s though it had been assembled with some additional dark lube, a heavy dark grease It took 3 changes to remove all visible traces of it so the contents now look like 100% BMW synthetic, the lube I'm using in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Horse View Post
    By the way, I changed the "Forever fluid" in that drive at 27,000 miles and used BMW synthetic.
    I think it is important to change the oil early, say at 600 miles, then every X miles after (for me, 6000 miles since I have to change tires anyway). 27k miles might have been too long. Of course, this is BMWs fault, not yours.

If you get a new drive, I'd like to have the old drive if you would be willing to ship it to me (I'd pay, of course). I'd like to take on apart and rebuild it.

Rob
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

I should know this but based on one of the previous posts, I'm not so sure now... what is maintenance schedule for final drive oil changes? I've had my bike serviced by my dealer every 6,000 mile since new and left it to them... I figured while still or warranty I'd have them do the scheduled maintenance. Now I am 500 miles and 6 weeks away from factory 36 K/ 3-year warranty being up.
    Lawrence
    2010 R1200 RT
    2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
    http://lawrence-throughthevisor.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence_D View Post
    I should know this but based on one of the previous posts, I'm not so sure now... what is maintenance schedule for final drive oil changes? I've had my bike serviced by my dealer every 6,000 mile since new and left it to them... I figured while still or warranty I'd have them do the scheduled maintenance. Now I am 500 miles and 6 weeks away from factory 36 K/ 3-year warranty being up.
    Official factory change interval is every 12,000 miles. I go further, but that's based on observation of the oil when I change it. If you have a vented rear drive BMW's suggestion isn't a bad one. Mine is sealed - and so far what comes out looks exactly like what's going in.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

It seems to me that my fluid stays cleaner now than when I first was changing it. I just didn't really mentally note it, but I recall the fluid being blackish, now it looks red and new coming out. Anyone else noticed this or am I just mixing memories?
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    It seems to me that my fluid stays cleaner now than when I first was changing it. I just didn't really mentally note it, but I recall the fluid being blackish, now it looks red and new coming out. Anyone else noticed this or am I just mixing memories?
    My '05 RT & '05 GS came out darker the first few flushes...I attributed it to whatever moly based lube was the original "forever" fill. Both our K12S's always looked clean.
    the '07 and newer bikes we have were clean from first service
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    Entirely possible. The factory fill apparently didn't wash off all the machining goop, or there was some break-in additive in the factory fill. As you change the oil that washes out and the oil comes out looking much clearer. As I noted - mine comes out looking like what's going in.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche