Thread: 2008 RT Right Fork Leaking

2008 RT Right Fork Leaking

On a ride this last Saturday, noticed the right fork was leaking slightly. Bike has 39K. I do most of my own maintenance, so was wondering if anyone out there has replaced the fork seals themselves, and how difficult it is and are special tools needed like the manual show. Or should I just bite the bullet and take it to the dealer. Thanks for any advice.

Bob

An original. All these years and I have never seen someone with a leaking shock tube on an RT!
    I have never seen any service intervals on the oil either. Someone will be coming along with an answer for you.......
    Jeff Anderson
    I ride a 2008 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    An original. All these years and I have never seen someone with a leaking shock tube on an RT!
    I have never seen any service intervals on the oil either. Someone will be coming along with an answer for you.......

My brother and I just returned from Alaska, he on a 1999 1100RT and I on a 2011 1200RT. He blew a fork seal as well. Not sure what it takes to fix so will be interested in replies as well, but will guess about 4 hours shop time, yikes.

First make sure nothing is stuck on the seal/dust cover lip. Cut up a plastic milk bottle or something similar to make a tool you can fit under the lip to clean it out. That sometimes is enough to resolve a slight leak.

I think the only special tools needed are an inside puller of the appropriate diameter and a way to set the replacement seal and dust cover in place. You may be able to do the job using home made tools.

Thanks for the replys, will try cleaning the dust seal and see if that helps, but can't see why oil would be getting by the seal itself unless it was bad

Bob

Motion Pro has a cool little fork seal cleaner....you could use a cut up milk carton just as well, but this is neat...

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0395/

wyman
    2013 R1200RT - Sassy - Fluid Grey Metallic
    2002 V-Strom DL1000 - sold
    2008 KLR650 - sold

I've had great luck using the Seal Mate. It has stopped every seal leak I've used it on. I made one out a milk carton and I think it too thick. Old 35mm film would seem about right. I also put Shock Soxs or something similar on all our bikes; even on fully faired bikes like the RT and FJR. That has greatly reduced the problem of leaking seals.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I've used 35mm film to clean a leaking seal on a KLR. Worked great.

Milk jug would be too thick.
    2009 R1200RT, 2011 Ural Patrol
    2006 KLR 650, 1981 R100RS

BMW MOA 37304

My brother took his bike in to his independent BMW mechanic and had both fork seals and oil replaced. It ran him a bit over $200 bucks. Not a fortune but a bit steep for him as a school teacher.