Thread: attaching new brake hose to newly-rebuilt master cylinder '76 R90/6

Hybrid View

attaching new brake hose to newly-rebuilt master cylinder '76 R90/6

hey all,

i just got my master cylinder back from apple hydraulics and i'm going to put everything back together tomorrow. i already rebuilt the caliper myself and i bought a new upper brake hose and grommets.

one question i have first off: is there anything i need to know about reconnecting the brake hose to the master cylinder? any thread prep, like anti-seize or conversely, thread-lock?

thanks in advance,

-eric
    BMWMOA #182796

'76 R90/6

attaching new brake hose to newly-rebuilt master cylinder '76 R90/6

Pretty sure you want to use NOTHING

Quote Originally Posted by Dmftoy1 View Post
    Pretty sure you want to use NOTHING
    i thought so. clymer's did not mention anything, but i wanted to ask in this forum because sometimes people have little tricks that the manuals don't mention.

thanks,

-eric
    BMWMOA #182796

'76 R90/6

I just completed the exact route you are describing with the M/C rebuild and new brake lines. Usually, with hydraulic lines no sealer, coating, or tape is used on the threads. The orifices in a hydraulic system are so very small and exact, to take the chance of something like a loose piece of crud is kinda not called for.
    The only hint I can give is to connect the brake line to the M/C first and then to the brake itself. Not doing so requires one to remove the M/C and revolve it to tighten up the fitting.........Such a difference all of this rebuild does. I didn't notice over the years how my front end had quit diving deeply and that great hmmmmmmmmm that the rotor makes.....God bless........Dennis