Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rubber like odor after installing Laser slip on for 03 R1100s Replika

Quote Originally Posted by plexiform View Post
    Would it be a bad idea to use some wd40 on the pegs holding the slip on in place to help get sliding easier?

I didn't hear anything rattling in the new mufflers before in stalling them but I will check that out.

Why did BMW route wires between two hot mufflers and what is the solution? I can't see any other direction to route them.
    WD-40 shouldn't hurt a thing...I use it to get other mufflers on at times...it will smell like a fish fry for a few minutes

I went to the auto parts and bought a roll of 1/2" high temperature jacket tubing ( fairly expensive) when I added some additional hyperlite brake modules on ours...there really is not many options for routing on the S to have a clean look.
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Thanks for all the replies. I rechecked today and there is no gap between the down pipe and slip on. I smelled the odor in the mufflers and started the engine for a minute. A little smoke, nothing black the odor seems to die down after a minute. I didn't keep running it too long because of the heat getting to the front bodywork. I'm hoping when the rain stops and I ride it again the odor is gone. Maybe something in the mufflers has burnt away already....who knows. Haven't taken the down pipe off. Hope I don't have to. But the inside of the muffler is crystal clear....looks unused. Thanks for the all the replies. This is truly a precious resource for any BMW rider!
    Last edited by plexiform; 12-24-2012 at 07:50 AM.

harbor freight makes some tailpipe stretchers. They have several sizes.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/small-t...der-37352.html

They can round the slip on opening a bit. they work very well we use them at work for a different use, after thousands of cycles some of the segments can break.

Rod

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    I would definitely put miles on it before becoming concerned with the smell, bugs, rodents etc all like to crawl into stuff in storage and store stuff or die. lso they could have sprayed wd40 or similar product on the pipes to keep corrosion away. Checking the turn and LP light wires good advice.

As far as getting it to fit, soft 2x4 and a big hammer, I would think the lasers are robust enough to use this method, my Staintunes were, you just need a 2nd person to help guide the pipes.

Discoloration, as mentioned, is from someone letting the bike idle too long. These bikes are AIR COOLED, they should not idle for long periods of time they will get hot if you do.

Enjoy the bike, the best looking BMW IMHO.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Rubber like odor is going aways after putting some more miles on the bike. I bet it was the stainless steel polish used to shine it up.

Or the antiseize you used on the joints.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Or the antiseize you used on the joints.

Que? I was supposed to use antiseize on the joints? Son of b%$^#@^^& !!!