Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: eyeglasses and helmet choice

I use the Nolan trilogy. I can put the helmet on over my glasses and then snap the chin bar in place.
    2007 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by ezwicky View Post

i went to revzilla's store-front (i live near by) with the intention of buying a modular helmet but the guy talked me into a regular full-face helmet. he said the flip-up ones are not as safe, and they are also heavier.

-eric
    Did you ask him, if they are so unsafe, why does the company he work for still sell them.

My first helmet as a FF Shoei. PITA when it came time to put it on or take it off because of my glasses. Especially since my normal driving glasses are titanium wire frameless. Since then, I've bought nothing but modular. Current one is a C3.

As far as crashing, I know a couple folks who have crashed while wearing modulars. They're still alive, and no damage to the chin portion of the helmet.
    Too damn many bikes to list

Live it, or live with it
    My $.02 I tried on several flip-ups the last time I shopped for a helmet, and I had to remove my glasses for alll of them. I stayed with a standard full face.
    Motor On '/,

I just replaced my 8 year old Nolan modular helmet with a HJC SyMax2. Have no trouble with either helmet when putting on or taking off with my glasses on.
    David
    1989 K100LT

I've been using a Summit III from RKA for some time - no issue at all with putting it on or taking it off with glasses.

And RKA is having quite a sale at this time - see http://www.rka-luggage.com/A27%20Dis...co%20Sale.html
    JWMcDonald
    2003 R1150RS (current) / 1978 R80/7 (prior)
    1966 R69S (prior) / 1972 R75/5 (prior)
    Windsor, California

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    I wear glasses and don't have a problem with any helmet, at least as far as the glasses are concerned. YMWV
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Bought a system 1 back in '85 for eyeglass ease. never looked back, any weight or other issue is easily trumped by convenience. Love the built-in sun visor in the new modulars. And being able to open it and talk, drink or snack without taking off the helmet is a bonus.
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

So, I have an Arai XD3 (full face) and two modular helmets and I wear glasses. I wear a modular 99% of the time because i hate taking off my glasses, and I like to be able to communicate with others when I stop. That said, I now make sure I try on new glasses with my helmet before I buy to ensure I get a good fit with my helmet.

Wear what make you feel safe and comfortable, and what fits best with your eyewear.
    09 R1200GS

See our Moto Photo's:http://raptor02.smugmug.com/

I wear the C3 and no problems whatsoever putting on or taking off the helmet with my glasses on. There is no conflict with glasses. The flip up also makes it easier to adjust your glasses while the helmet is helmet on.
    Two other things to consider: 1) if you plan to use helmet speakers for a COMM system, and 2) ventilation.
    If you are planning to install COMM speakers, make sure the cutouts work well and dont cause the helmet liner to press on your ears once the speakers are installed. It becomes very painful after a few hours of riding if your helmet is pinching your ears around your glasses frame.
    And you need very good ventilation. . .even though the helmet visor may not fog, in borderline conditions your GLASSES may still fog in a helmet that doesnt ventilate well. Helmets with a pinlock system as their primary means to prevent fogging (ventilation just OK, not great) may be a real problem for glasses-wearers.
    I've had no problems with the C3, which does use a pinlock system but also ventilates very well.
    Dave in Vermont
    '84 R80ST
    '81 R100 hack

I own and use both types- full face and modular (Shoei RF and Neotec, Nolan 103 and many other types for use in cars rather than bikes). I also own a piar of BMWs and regularly ride and service a couple others, using my bikes for routine transporation rather than recreation only.

You got good advice originally. As a group, modulars are heavier and not as safe- aren't certified by all groups, for example. My Neotec is the better part of a lb heavier than my RFs and the difference is definitely noticeable.
    So it is not my pick much of the time.

Many modulars are also well known for odd fits and hard liners (the Schuberts, for example) or being noisier (the Nolans) than typical full face designs.

I also use glasses and it is trivial to use glasses with any of my helmets simply by making sure the frames have straight ear pieces rather than hooked ones (I use some very high tech and pricey ones that actually are probably a bargain being very light and indestructable, outlasting several sets of lens and probably good for at least another decade still) I've used such frames for many years in many types of helmets with no problems. I can't put a properly fitted helmet on without taking my glasses off first no matter what style the helmet is, but slipping them on through the eyeport is very simple, no odd gyrations required.

To me, the only advantage of the modular is saving a few seconds and staying cool while fueling or otherwise stopped- so modulars are fine for long trips if you don't mind the added weight. Not my choice for shorter runs and certainly not for track use, even if they were allowed.

Some modulars complicate fitting certain bluetooth comm sytems or come wih rather oddball systms of their own. With the rapid evolution of inexpenisve add on bluetooth comm sets, I prefer the ability to easiyl fit or upgrade the more universal aftermarket units rather than a helmet makers pick..I currently use the G-9 and have been able to mount it on either the Neotec or RF with no issues.

I own a N104. Always wear sunglasses and never even tried to put on the helmet with the shades in place. I've slid the glasses on with just the visor up, but it is easier with the chin bar up. This my first modular and it is a bit nosier than I would prefer, but the ventilation is very good and I like the wide eye opening.
    09 R1200RT, no longer own 99R1100RT, 98 Honda Shadow 1100, Penton 125cc six days, Hodaka 125cc Wombat

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post
    I own and use both types- full face and modular (Shoei RF and Neotec, Nolan 103 and many other types for use in cars rather than bikes). I also own a piar of BMWs and regularly ride and service a couple others, using my bikes for routine transporation rather than recreation only.

You got good advice originally. As a group, modulars are heavier and not as safe- aren't certified by all groups, for example. My Neotec is the better part of a lb heavier than my RFs and the difference is definitely noticeable.
    So it is not my pick much of the time.

Many modulars are also well known for odd fits and hard liners (the Schuberts, for example) or being noisier (the Nolans) than typical full face designs.

I also use glasses and it is trivial to use glasses with any of my helmets simply by making sure the frames have straight ear pieces rather than hooked ones (I use some very high tech and pricey ones that actually are probably a bargain being very light and indestructable, outlasting several sets of lens and probably good for at least another decade still) I've used such frames for many years in many types of helmets with no problems. I can't put a properly fitted helmet on without taking my glasses off first no matter what style the helmet is, but slipping them on through the eyeport is very simple, no odd gyrations required.

To me, the only advantage of the modular is saving a few seconds and staying cool while fueling or otherwise stopped- so modulars are fine for long trips if you don't mind the added weight. Not my choice for shorter runs and certainly not for track use, even if they were allowed.

Some modulars complicate fitting certain bluetooth comm sytems or come wih rather oddball systms of their own. With the rapid evolution of inexpenisve add on bluetooth comm sets, I prefer the ability to easiyl fit or upgrade the more universal aftermarket units rather than a helmet makers pick..I currently use the G-9 and have been able to mount it on either the Neotec or RF with no issues.
    As usual Racer 7 has got it right! Modulars, less safe, come on guys it is 2 pieces with hinges, much heavier and louder. My wife has a Multi-tec and I've tried it! Nope!

I wear Panoptx prescription (Now called 7 Eye) sunglasses with a full removable eyecup airdam, photochromatic (they go clear in the dark and dark in the light) and are progressive bi-focals all in one. I can see long distance and still read my gauges and Nav. And If I stop at a restaurant I only need to have this pair with me to read the menu!. I wear a Shoei RF1100 with JM Premium speakers installed and always wear earplugs. Taking the glasses on and off to don or remove the helmet is very easy. No fuss no muss , they slide right in and out!. The RF1100 has channels built-in for glasses.

So what is the big deal about having to take your glasses on and off to put on or take off your helmet? Seems really petty and lazy to me!

Maybe you guys should wear some receptacles for bodily functions so you don't have to unzip your pants!!!! Wow!
    "The Older I Get, the Faster I Was"
    '09 Black Metallic Sapphire "Fully Farkled" RT

Quote Originally Posted by flymymbz View Post
    Did you ask him, if they are so unsafe, why does the company he work for still sell them.

My first helmet as a FF Shoei. PITA when it came time to put it on or take it off because of my glasses. Especially since my normal driving glasses are titanium wire frameless. Since then, I've bought nothing but modular. Current one is a C3.

As far as crashing, I know a couple folks who have crashed while wearing modulars. They're still alive, and no damage to the chin portion of the helmet.
    There is a difference between being UNsafe and being NOT-AS-safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Atomicman52 View Post
    So what is the big deal about having to take your glasses on and off to put on or take off your helmet? Seems really petty and lazy to me!
    i can't speak for the other guys, but with me it's a matter of my glasses not slipping in and fitting right once the helmet is on my head. it feels like i am mangling them.

that's why i asked for other people's experiences, so i could make my own determination and examine some other helmet options, rather than just taking one salesman's word.

thanks,

-eric
    BMWMOA #182796

'76 R90/6

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ezwicky View Post
    that's why i asked for other people's experiences, so i could make my own determination and examine some other helmet options, rather than just taking one salesman's word.
    The bottom line is that YOU have to decide, what anybody else says is pointless, salesman or not.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)