Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: eyeglasses and helmet choice

eyeglasses and helmet choice

hi all,

i wanted to ask of the near-sighted among us - did wearing glasses factor in to your decision on which helmet to buy?

i went to revzilla's store-front (i live near by) with the intention of buying a modular helmet but the guy talked me into a regular full-face helmet. he said the flip-up ones are not as safe, and they are also heavier.

i tried a few on and went with the bell RS-1 because it fit the best.

now i am having second thoughts because it's a PIA having to take my glasses off to get the helmet on. i also like the internal sun-visor feature found in a lot of the modular helmets.

has anybody here bought a modular helmet mainly for eye-glasses reasons? i am thinking about taking the RS-1 back and getting a nolan N104.

thanks in advance for your time and advice,

-eric
    BMWMOA #182796

'76 R90/6

Unless the helmet liner has for lack of a better word a groove in the liner running for and aft eye glasses will be a PIA. I know the Shoei 1100 has such a groove
    Not sure about my C3 since it already has sun shield
    Also consider the eyewear your using some frames are just to large to fit in a helmet, you could easily end up breaking your expensive glasses
    Most friendly eyewear for helmets is modern military style aviator frames, thin temple pieces slide on and off easy
    Had LASIK 15 years ago so long constant glasses, still wear readers

Wearing glasses has always been a problem with any helmet. Frame size makes the difference in how much of a PITA they will be.

Don
    Last edited by donbmw; 12-15-2012 at 05:33 PM.
    1975 R90/6, 1980 and 1982 R65, !959 TR3A Triumph Car

Get the modular. I find that with my Shoei Multitec and Shoei RF1000 it is necessary to remove glasses, put on helmet and then put on glasses. Removing helmet means, take off glasses, take off helmet, put glasses back on. The sides of the modular helmet don't have sufficient flex to pull it apart enough to clear the glasses. In my opinion, the only other alternative is to get contact lenses.
    Walter

G. K. Chesterton wrote - "The traveller sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he came to see."

...has anybody here bought a modular helmet for eye-glasses reasons...ezwicky
    Yes, but I'd use one even if my refraction was plano, because it is easier to communicate with people during stops.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

The multitec works well for me. It has"reliefs" made for eyewear. Still have to remove the glasses every time though. No big deal really....
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote

John
    I have a C3 and put my helmet on while wearing my glasses. This was another reason why I went to the 2 piece helmet. The glasses need a little straitening after donning the helmet. It took trial and error to get the procedure down but no problems. My glasses stay on my face where they belong instead of laying them down where they can be damaged.

I had a Scorpion one piece prior to the C3 and had to put my glasses on after donning the helmet and remove my glasses to take the helmet off. I eventually came up with a procedure as to where to put my glasses through the process. While I was learning it cost me a few bucks to get my glasses fixed.

I'm not sure why the store sales person recommended a one piece? The C3 made life with glasses much easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by EvryDayRide View Post
    I'm not sure why the store sales person recommended a one piece?.
    he said the modulars are not as safe in a crash as a one-piece. he also said the one-piece is lighter gerenally.
    BMWMOA #182796

'76 R90/6

We both wear glasses. In my 30+ years I have never been able to put on any helmet other than a half helmet without removing my glasses and then putting them back on after the helmet. This includes 3/4 helmets. My wife on the other hand is just the opposite and put the helmet right on her head without removing glasses. She nixed a complete full face for that very reason. But since we both wanted modular anyway.....
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

I have an older Shoei Multitec I use as well as a Nolan, they both work well with glasses but I love the flip up access so I can blow my nose, hayfever and fullface helmets don't work together well!

I've been wearing helmits and glasses for 35 years (since I've been riding). I always have had to try on several helmets when buying a new one to see which felt most comfortable on my head AND would allow me to insert my the arms of my glasses without bending them or wrecking them or feeling uncomfortable with my glasses on. I've always been luckiest with Shoi, but that's just me. My next helmet will definitely focus on which is the lightest, everything else being the same.

Modular helmets are a bit bulkier than one peice and aren't necessarily more comfortable to wear with glasses. FWIW, I wouldn't worry about having to take your glasses on and off; rather you should focus on the ability to insert the glasses into the helmet and most importantly on the comfort of the helmet with the glasses on.
    "all things in moderation - including moderation"

I find it easier to use a modular, since I can pull the sides apart when pulling the helmet over my head. This way I do not have to take my glasses off. I think it was the N104 that I found too heavy, or was it the N103. I don't remember. Anyway I found the Shoei Multitec to be lighter.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

stphnchnr

Glasses slip right in

Recently bought full face Arai Signet Q and glasses slip right in. It's as if slots were made for glasses. Previous helmet (HJC) would bend arms of glasses.
    S

I have a Shoei Neotech and still have to take my glasses off to get it on and off but the glasses work fine with it. I really like the sliding internal sun shade in the helmet. The visor can be placed in any position between full up and full down. Most of the other helmets that have an internal sun visor are either up or down.

David Sword

I don't normally wear glasses, but I almost always wear sunglasses during daylight hours. While I have and like full face helmets, my Nolan modular is as safe as any of them, does weigh slightly more, and it's far and above my favorite helmet. Better visibility, comfort, easier on and off, more comfortable across temperature ranges, and putting on or taking off glasses is as easy as it is when you're not wearing a helmet. I rotate through my bell and shoei, but the nolan is where it's at for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ezwicky View Post
    hi all,

i wanted to ask of the near-sighted among us - did wearing glasses factor in to your decision on which helmet to buy?

i went to revzilla's store-front (i live near by) with the intention of buying a modular helmet but the guy talked me into a regular full-face helmet. he said the flip-up ones are not as safe, and they are also heavier.

i tried a few on and went with the bell RS-1 because it fit the best.

now i am having second thoughts because it's a PIA having to take my glasses off to get the helmet on. i also like the internal sun-visor feature found in a lot of the modular helmets.

has anybody here bought a modular helmet mainly for eye-glasses reasons? i am thinking about taking the RS-1 back and getting a nolan N104.

thanks in advance for your time and advice,

-eric
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.