Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Spokes

  1. #1
    Monza Blue 1974 R90/6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    427

    Spokes

    One of my spoke nipples (front wheel) broke this summer. Not bad for 38 or so years.

    I'm going to send the wheel off for new spokes while we are in the January doldrums. Looks like Buchanan's unless somebody has a better idea.

    Stainless steel seems to be the spoke choice, but they offer nipples in stainless steel or nickel plated. Anybody know the difference? Pros/cons?

    Barron
    1974 R90/6

  2. #2
    Smoooooth at 430 gch71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by Barron_Williams View Post
    One of my spoke nipples (front wheel) broke this summer. Not bad for 38 or so years.

    I'm going to send the wheel off for new spokes while we are in the January doldrums. Looks like Buchanan's unless somebody has a better idea.

    Stainless steel seems to be the spoke choice, but they offer nipples in stainless steel or nickel plated. Anybody know the difference? Pros/cons?

    Barron
    1974 R90/6
    Lets get a few fellow airheads together, a bottle of Buchanan's master blend or Johnny Walker blue and have a tech session on how to spoke a wheel!,, i!,,,
    Stainless is a little better, but look how long the ones you had on there last...if your going with stainless spokes then stay with stainless nipples, my own opinion.
    Glenn
    ...driving to work on my airhead
    '74 R60/6, '75 R60/6(boxes)

  3. #3
    Registered User stanley83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by Barron_Williams View Post
    Stainless steel seems to be the spoke choice, but they offer nipples in stainless steel or nickel plated. Anybody know the difference? Pros/cons?
    Nickel plated spokes cost less, stainless steel spokes won't rust.

    If bicycle spokes are any indication, the metallurgy of stainless steel spokes is excellent and there's no good reason for an individual not to pay the small cost premium for them.
    Justin in Somerville, MA
    _________________________
    76 R75/6, 78 P200E, 63 VBB
    Lots of bicycles

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    122

    Spokes

    Quote Originally Posted by Barron_Williams View Post
    Stainless steel seems to be the spoke choice, but they offer nipples in stainless steel or nickel plated. Anybody know the difference? Pros/cons?

    Barron
    1974 R90/6
    I have absolutely no experience with stainless steel spokes, but as a mechanical engineer with many years of industrial experience I do know well that stainless steel on stainless steel is an open invitation to galling. Stainless spokes and plated nipples might be a good combination to prevent that. In any event use anti-seize.

  5. #5
    Curmudgeon nrpetersen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    minnetonka mn
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by krpreston View Post
    I have absolutely no experience with stainless steel spokes, but as a mechanical engineer with many years of industrial experience I do know well that stainless steel on stainless steel is an open invitation to galling. Stainless spokes and plated nipples might be a good combination to prevent that. In any event use anti-seize.
    Yup!
    Retired w 2005 K1200LT, 2000 R1100RT, & 1975 R90/6

  6. #6
    Registered User melville's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Behind the Redwood Curtain
    Posts
    112
    Buchanan's include a bottle of their preferred lubricant with purchase of a set o' spokes. Looked like linseed oil to me. The Airhead wheel went together quite easily for me, a former pro bicycle mechanic:

    Lacing:



    Initial tensioning:



    Final tensioning and truing:



    Good luck!

  7. #7
    Registered User ezwicky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by melville View Post
    Buchanan's include a bottle of their preferred lubricant with purchase of a set o' spokes. Looked like linseed oil to me. The Airhead wheel went together quite easily for me, a former pro bicycle mechanic:
    is there a jobst brandt of motorcycle wheels?
    BMWMOA #182796

    '76 R90/6

  8. #8
    Registered User stanley83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by krpreston View Post
    I have absolutely no experience with stainless steel spokes, but as a mechanical engineer with many years of industrial experience I do know well that stainless steel on stainless steel is an open invitation to galling. Stainless spokes and plated nipples might be a good combination to prevent that. In any event use anti-seize.
    On bicycles, the spoke nipples are either plated brass or alloy. Boiled linseed oil is a traditional lubricant/locking compound. Some folks use Spoke Prep, SpokeFreeze or purple loc-tite. I've had good luck with Nevr-Seez on my bicycle wheels.
    Justin in Somerville, MA
    _________________________
    76 R75/6, 78 P200E, 63 VBB
    Lots of bicycles

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •