Thread: ABS/I-abs/differences between years

ABS/I-abs/differences between years

Despite searching, couldn't find a site or thead that lists which years/models had fully integrated, partially integrated, servo/non servo brakes, etc. I started thinking about brake genealogy after being advised for the umpteenth time that my particular model's brakes function in a way that they actually do not.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.

All K75 and K100 bikes that have ABS have ABS1 with round modulators mounted either side of the front of the rear wheel by the footpegs. So did ABS equipped K1100LT bikes up to '93 I believe. K1100 bikes then got ABSII. So did the early Oilheads.

Your R75 does not have ABS. Your R1150 probably does but without a year I couldn't guess what kind. Maybe integrated. Maybe servo powered. I lost track.

If your R1150 does not behave as folks describe, then either they are wrong or it is malfunctioning.

Details?? What are you really trying to find out.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Just curious what changed when, particularly on RT's. because of changes/differences between bikes/years, in less knowledgeable places than this forum, it's not uncommon to hear incorrect assertions about a particular model and brake function. Linked, non linked, etc. It made me wonder if there was a spreadsheet or site somewhere, as I have such reference materials for jeeps and firearms.
    R75/6, 2004 R1150RTA.

Quote Originally Posted by 175781 View Post
    Just curious what changed when, particularly on RT's. because of changes/differences between bikes/years, in less knowledgeable places than this forum, it's not uncommon to hear incorrect assertions about a particular model and brake function. Linked, non linked, etc. It made me wonder if there was a spreadsheet or site somewhere, as I have such reference materials for jeeps and firearms.
    Go here:

http://www.largiader.com/abs/absfault.html
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar
    Last fall I bought an '04 R1100S Boxer Cup with iABS.

That is BMW's answer to the question NOBODY asked. Power brakes on a motorcycle? WHY???????
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS (gone- '04 R1100S Boxer Cup)
    '12 Suzuki DRZ400
    ("kid's" bikes) '02 Kaw ZX6R- Jen's '07 Duc 800ss- Johnnie's

Quote Originally Posted by SugarHillCTD View Post
    Last fall I bought an '04 R1100S Boxer Cup with iABS.

That is BMW's answer to the question NOBODY asked. Power brakes on a motorcycle? WHY???????
    Be good for you to understand, then, that BMW is in the business of making/selling cutting edge vehicles (cars and bikes) and a great place to be cutting edge is in safety systems. Being POWER BRAKES is not really the main thing, rather the ability to make an on-the-fly adjustable integrated braking system is. This is not gone, BTW, but rather BMW has found another way to do it not involving as much complication.

No, when you're in the "cutting edge" business you don't wait around for somebody to ask--rather you're proactive.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

2-up and havin' fun sugarhillctd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Be good for you to understand, then, that BMW is in the business of making/selling cutting edge vehicles (cars and bikes) and a great place to be cutting edge is in safety systems. Being POWER BRAKES is not really the main thing, rather the ability to make an on-the-fly adjustable integrated braking system is. This is not gone, BTW, but rather BMW has found another way to do it not involving as much complication.

No, when you're in the "cutting edge" business you don't wait around for somebody to ask--rather you're proactive.
    I do not have any problems with the integrated portion of the braking system.

I do NOT like how little force is needed on the front brake lever- when the engine is on. I stop my other bikes just fine, thank you, with a normal (unpowered) system

Then I move the bike around with the engine off and I have to constantly remember to pull on the brake lever much more than normal to stop the bike even at a walking pace.

Just a PITA, IMHO
    John & Cathy
    '92 K100RS (gone- '04 R1100S Boxer Cup)
    '12 Suzuki DRZ400
    ("kid's" bikes) '02 Kaw ZX6R- Jen's '07 Duc 800ss- Johnnie's

Yes, the (virtually) no brakes without ignition on is a PITA.

I've not noticed an overly sensitive lever when riding.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Love my iabs whizzy and all. Best brakes I've ever had on a bike. Saved my butt more than once too.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)