Thread: Arkansas to Alaska

Arkansas to Alaska

Live in Arkansas - ride a 2011 rt 1200. Interested in making the trek to Alaska. Any thoughts on taking a RT to Alaska? Wonder if I'd be better off flying up and renting a GS there?

It's been done before, and you can also include roadglides, goldwings, ST's, ect.

Ken
    IBA #44567
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Eienstein

I rode my 2010 RT in 2010 from Wisconsin to Tok, AK, then down to Anchorage, Homer and finally back home (via the 2010 MOA Rally). Shouldn't be a problem. Just take it easy on the last 100 miles of the Yukon from Burwash to Beaver Creek, if you're taking the Alcan. Lots of frost heaves and pot holes.
    Karen Jacobs
    2012 R 1200 RT
    MOA-133005, RA32109, IBA #37923

RT to North Shore!

READ the story of RT guy riding the HAUL ROAD a few years back in the BMW'ON Mag. Great story if you can find it, maybe the 'ON archives? NOW thats an RT to Alaska story not to be missed.....RTs can do about anything, it appeared. Randy

RT to Alaska

I live in OK and ride a 2012 RT, lets go next year.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

I am in North Texas and would intersted in traveling with a couple of folks.....dropped him a pm on his plans.....I am game. My ride is a 2011 RT

I'm in Central Illinois and am headed to Alaska in Late June, early July. Am timing my trip so I can hit the National Rally in Salem, OR when I come back down into the lower 48.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Alaska

That sounds like a great plan

Quote Originally Posted by stkmkt1 View Post
    I'm in Central Illinois and am headed to Alaska in Late June, early July. Am timing my trip so I can hit the National Rally in Salem, OR when I come back down into the lower 48.
    IBA Number 49673
    Moore OK
    http://lngrdr.blogspot.com/

I would be interested so if you guys are serious PM me and we can start planning.

QUOTE=LngRdr;842754]That sounds like a great plan[/QUOTE]

Went Through AR

On my '84 R100rt after the rally. Then down to Key West, and bounced all over.
    Then I rode back home where I started, Fairbanks.

If you can't do it with a 1200rt, it wouldn't be because of the bike. AK is a big place, lots of it is paved. Where do you think you want to go?

You don't need ultra light camping gear for bike travel, just bring what you really need, not a bunch of..

D2D is a hoot, if the top of the world Hwy is dry and you can deal with dirt no problem. It can turn into a quagmire when its real wet, then everyone has problems, so camp and wait on the weather or go another route.

Check out http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788417 and read Jacks other stuff. Get a copy of the "Milepost", and read about every access route, the Alcan, and about every road in AK. When you have real questions, PM.
    Bob Coleman
    AKAM
    Fukengruver add umlaut
    '84 R100rt, '88 R100gs

Last summer, I rode my '83 RT from Fairbanks to CA and back. Here is my ride report on my blog. No problems, no issues though I did need a new rear tire in OR. Don't overpack as you can always pick up what you need along the way or send back what you don't need. I've also taken my RT up to the Arctic Circle, no problems at all. BTW, this was all before I added the sidecar.
    1983 R100RT hacked w/Cozy Rocket My blog
    Airhead #10576