Thread: Route To 2013 International Rally from Atlanta, GA

Route To 2013 International Rally from Atlanta, GA

I'm working on my route to and from the 2013 Rally. I live in Atlanta, GA, does anyone have suggestions from interesting roads, sights, and/or cities to include on my route. I'm using a BMW Navigator IV, so any electronic routes will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Ross Bickers

TravelsWithBarley.com
    Ross,

It would really help if you would fill in your profile so we know what you ride, and tell us how much time you have for the trip, what sort of roads (or trails) you prefer, hotels vs camping, etc. There's a lot of turf between Georgia and Oregon. If you can flesh out your trip goals you might get some replies.

I'll be riding from Vermont. My plan is to haul buns on US Highways to the Nebraska Sandhills, then switch to the twistiest scenic roads I can find from there to the rally, camping most of the way west of the Mississippi. Along the way my dog and I will check out the Badlands, Black Hills, Devil's Tower, Beartooth Pass and Chief Joseph Byway, the Sawtooth Range, the West Cascades, Crater Lake, and Smith River Redwoods in northern Cal.

But if I only had a week it would be superslab all the way.

Pete
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Bickers View Post
    I'm working on my route to and from the 2013 Rally. I live in Atlanta, GA, does anyone have suggestions from interesting roads, sights, and/or cities to include on my route. I'm using a BMW Navigator IV, so any electronic routes will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Ross Bickers
    What do you ride and how long do you have?

In 2010, I finally had the opportunity, and got organized enough, to earn my Ironbutt Saddlesore certificate, riding from ATL to Grand Island, NE. It was a great ride, and I got there early enough to have a great steak at Uncle Eds.

The rest of the way to Redmond took two weeks, through places like Lemhi Pass, remote sections of Idaho, the Red Rock Lake National Wildlife Refuge, Hells Canyon NRA and the Oregon Back Country Discovery Route.

Even if you're a pavement-only sort of rider, there are many great blue-road options available.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.