Thread: sena with earbuds

sena with earbuds

My wife and I purchased a set of Sena SMH-10 Bluetooth headset this spring for bike to bike and where well pleased. then in July at the National I purchased a set of ear buds and a SMH-A0303 helmet clamp kit for ear buds but I have had 2 of them break in the flexible bend of the RCA jack which Sena has replaced anyone else having this problem?

Moondog
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbiker83 View Post
    My wife and I purchased a set of Sena SMH-10 Bluetooth headset this spring for bike to bike and where well pleased. then in July at the National I purchased a set of ear buds and a SMH-A0303 helmet clamp kit for ear buds but I have had 2 of them break in the flexible bend of the RCA jack which Sena has replaced anyone else having this problem?

Not yet but have noticed it is not very strong. I have gotten in the habit of placing thumb in recess before pushing connector home. Keeps things straight.

I leave the coiled cord supplied by Sena to the RCA jack on helmet clamp and plug in and out at the end in my jacket

Moondog
    I leave the coiled cord supplied by Sena to the RCA jack on helmet clamp and plug in and out at the end in my jacket
    good idea

I do the same thing and the coiled cord seems to take some of the strain off the helmet clamp input. That coiled cord has another benefit as well - it has a hooded connector on it to keep the elements out of the plug. I ride with another couple of guys with this rig and they've both experienced the separation you wrote about. Mine's still OK. It could have been designed a little more robust than it is. A little gaffer tape on it to stiffen and protect it might not be a bad option.
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray

I have had two replaced by Sena because the wires broke in the jack. I now tie wrap the jack to the helmet so that it does not move. Sena tells me they are going to be coming out with a better jack connection on there next gen system.

I should have added to my post - this Sena SMH10B is by far the best BT headset rig for my K1600GT. I've used both the Cardo Scalarider G4 and SRC collar on a C3 and neither work nearly as reliably or have the battery life of the Sena. Also, the Sena is the only BT option I could find that supports ear bugs vs. speakers. I'm completely sold on my Sensaphonic ear phones.
    Wes Jones
    Annapolis, MD
    2012 K1600GT, Vermillion Red
    2013 S1000RR, Granite Gray

Yes Sena

My wife and I love them they have performed wonderful except for the weak RCA jack. Even on the Wing losing the cord is a HUGE plus I love the THE S PLUG EARBUDS i purchased at the National from The Plug Up Co. checkout http://www.plugup.com/the_S_plug_ste...rbuds_s/67.htm They where taking other brands apart and adding a RCA jack but not the Sena since Sena offered a unit to use.

Me too

I had two of the jacks fail and Sena sent me replacements. To delay the inevitable failure of the replacements, I bought a tie wrap anchor and stuck it to the helmet. Then I ran two tie wrap loops from the anchor around the Sena jack to hold it in place. Seems to work. FYI tie wrap = zip tie.