Thread: What color is my '73 R60/5

Hybrid View

What color is my '73 R60/5

Hi Gang,

Lew was kind enough to send a link to Phil Hawksley's website on BMW paint colors.

It looks to me like mine is Bronco Metallic Brown. The seat is a Denfield? and was recovered - I haven't seen any paint code under the seat or anywhere else. I've tried to find out if this was a standard color in 1973 but from what I can see, the paint is original.

There are some pretty noticeable scratches on the tank but the paint on the fenders are in very good condition. Not sure I'll paint just the tank because it will be hard to match the color on the fenders but am thinking about it or maybe getting some touch up paint for the deep scratches.

If you know the paint code, please let me know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken Tuvman
    Excelsior, MN
    K75s, R65LS, R60/5

Rally Rat
    It looks like Havana Gold, which would not be original to a /5, at least in the US

I don't recall a "brown" color option until the /7 series came out (77(?) -78)

Here's another paint reference. > http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-us/col...&prodyear=1970
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Lew is correct- no browns until the /7 era. They did use the Curry (gold) on /6 and i believe on later /5s, but nothing that dark in the early 70s.
    make it whatever color you like. it's like an ex-virgin... can't make it original, no matter what you do.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

There's Snowbum's paint code list:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/pcodes.htm

He lists the paint code 511 as Havana Gold but not really gold but more like s4!t brown as he says!! Use was R90/6 to R100/7.

I thought a friend here in San Antonio had an R75/6 that was brown...haven't seen it or him in a long time.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

early '80s R65 Bronco Brown?
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots