Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 1978 R100/7 Topend Overhaul

Redline assembly lube works well for me. With the exception, if I replace cam and lifters and the kit comes with assembly lube, I use that. See link below.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=77&pcid=17

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Since the reassembly won't happen overnight, I suspect that I'll need more than just a coating of oil on the parts. Anyone have suggestions on some type of assembly lube so that the parts are well lubed when I do start it for the first time?
    For me, I use an oil squirt can and "shoot" some into every joint and crevice just before I button it up. Turning the crank by hand as one does this is pretty effective for distribution. I know you KNOW this; but don't go to revving it up for "break in" until after a few seconds of getting it started............

Ahhhhhhhhh now the "break in" thead????????..................God bless.........Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    For me, I use an oil squirt can and "shoot" some into every joint and crevice just before I button it up.
    But it may be several days or even a week before I go to start it. After installing the topend, I still have the exhaust system to do which, for some reason, doesn't seem like I'll just whip through that. I can see me also "sleeping on it" just so I can be sure I thought of everything.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

New topend bling came yesterday! I took the time to weigh the old and new pieces. Cylinders are about 25% lighter (~108 ounces as compared to ~81 for the new ones.) The piston is only about 7% lighter (18.1 versus 16.9 ounces) while the wrist pin is nearly 25% lighter (5 ounces versus 3.8 ounces). The total difference for the moving parts is about 10% less, 23.1 ounces down to 20.7 ounces. This doesn't count the rings and circlips which are probably a wash.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Is it still in vogue to assemble the pistons and rings without any lubricant? I was concerned about doing that, but I did do it that way. I ran it for at least 40K without any issues, and it did break in fast!

Ted Porter told me the rings/cylinder should be dry but oil on the piston skirts. I do plan on starting it and holding a high RPM (say 3K) for 45-60 seconds, then take off for the first ride while varying throttle and keeping the speed down somewhat.

The amount of screeching noise the motor makes in the first two strokes gets your attention, but it should settle down after 2 or three long seconds. There is a lot of friction to overcome, so it's best to have a fully charged battery.

I went with lighter wrist pins, checked the weight on everything and tried to balance it the best I could within reason. I don't know if it made a difference, but I felt better about it.
    Last edited by norton; 02-19-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Based upon my previous measurements, the wrist pins and pistons are very evenly matched. I'm not planning on removing the conrods, so I don't know about their balance. I'm thinking that the items which are farthest away from the crankshaft will have the greater impact on balance.

Cool Sure looks pretty!!

your gonna have 2 big jugs stickin out all new and pretty kinda reminds me of an old stripper I know but that is a different story!!!
    1974 R75/6 W Sidecar
    1989 R100GS

The two base gaskets provided to reduce the 9.5:1 to 8.8:1 compression measure about 0.66mm or 0.0026" thick. Part number on the package is 11 11 1 335 650. That matches R60/6 and R60/7 gaskets which were used for the very same purpose, to reduce the compression on the R60s and help with pinging.

Quote Originally Posted by 85K100LT View Post
    your gonna have 2 big jugs stickin out all new and pretty kinda reminds me of an old stripper I know but that is a different story!!!
    Nothing wrong with big jugs!!

Dropped the oil pan today...fairly clean inside, nothing unusual in there. I pulled off the pickup screen by removing the wire clip...found the bolts holding the pickup needing tightening. After putting it all together, I gave myself a dope slap and figured I should have pulled the pickup bolts and reinstalled with a drop of blue loctite. Oh well, I'll do that in a few days...I don't want to lose sleep over the pickup possibly loosening.

Found something interesting...the forward right side of the pan flange has a nasty dent in it...probably from someone using a screwdriver to wedge the pan off. I didn't put use any sharp tools to loosen the pan...just tapped it with a dead plan around the edges. And I don't recall ever having the pan off before, so it must have been the PO who owned it for two years before I got it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's always fun to discover something about yer bike when taking it apart. Usually a PO has done something careless. last year before sending speedo out for a fix, took it apart for a look see and found the tell tale shards of glass from an obvious previous Crash? Never know what these old bikes have seen. Rear drive on my R90 is marked '77 and it's a 3 to 1 ratio with perfect splines. More evidence of something or another. Caveat emptor, I guess.

Safety clip for the sidestand.

I like the extra clip to hold the side stand.. can you show more detail..

I have installed a weaker spring on my side stand so that it can be deployed easier as I have as shortage in the inseam. I have been using a bungee.. and i hate it.. but it works..
    I would like to build a clip like you have installed. It looks like the proper trick to keep the sidestand in place when riding.

Can you elaborate..

thanks.

Jim, Ketchikan
    I like good stuff. No Chains here!
    1960 R50 -"Hanz"
    1977 R75/7 -"Gertie"
    2004 R1100s -"RFAR1"

Jim -

That's a "support shackle" and is #16 in this picture:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...71&hg=46&fg=10

It is spring steel, has to be bent just right and installed in the correct position. Looks like it might be around $20 from BMW...part number 46 53 1 236 859.