Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Helmetless article Michigan

Nickname: Droid
    Oh believe me, I am a staunch advocate of minimal government intrusion in our lives. We get too much of it already and don't need more (listening Mr. Obama?). Even though I am a 20+ year MSF instructor, I am not a proponent of mandatory helmet laws. But to me its more than government instrusion, its more about the government using a mandatory helmet law as a placating band-aid to avoid the real issues of rider training and way too easy licensing standards.

The saying, "you can't fix stupid" applies, and no amount of government intervention will ever change that.

A rider who has chosen not to wear a helmet has already demonstrated that his attitude towards safety is, shall we say, less than zealous? A study from Hawaii shows that helmetless riders have a higher accident rate.

I'll also suggest yet again that a helmet can make you more conspicuous to traffic if it is white or a bright color, and not black.

Do whatever you like. I'll be wearing my white full-face when you see me ride by.

Harry
    Last edited by AKsuited; 12-11-2012 at 10:33 PM.
    2003 R1150RT - Silver

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    A rider who has chosen not to wear a helmet has already demonstrated that his attitude towards safety is, shall we say, less than zealous? A study from Hawaii shows that helmetless riders have a higher accident rate.

I'll also suggest yet again that a helmet can make you more conspicuous to traffic if it white or a bright color, and not black.

Do whatever you like. I'll be wearing my white full-face when you see me ride by.

Harry
    And we'll see you coming for some distance Harry!

Keep riding safe and smart,
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

pretty sure i've never seen a BMW rider without a helmet

conn. doesn't require helmets. i go there from time to time. the crotch rocket guys seem to wear hard hats. its generally the harley and harley clone types that don't.
    at least that's been my observation
    "Enemy fighters at 2 o'clock!...Roger, What should i do until then?"

2010 r1200r, 2009 harley crossbones, 2008 triumph/sidecar, 1970 norton commando 750

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    Oh believe me, I am a staunch advocate of minimal government intrusion in our lives. We get too much of it already and don't need more (listening Mr. Obama?). Even though I am a 20+ year MSF instructor, I am not a proponent of mandatory helmet laws. But to me its more than government instrusion, its more about the government using a mandatory helmet law as a placating band-aid to avoid the real issues of rider training and way too easy licensing standards.

The saying, "you can't fix stupid" applies, and no amount of government intervention will ever change that.
    Well, there's stupid and there's woefully poorly educated.

Whatever it is you might term "government intrusion" is in fact the product of the democratic process whereby majority-elected legislators devise and pass by majority vote legislation that is then subject to approval/veto by a democratically elected executive and even then subject to review and rejection by a judiciary. I rather doubt there's ever been a motorcycle helmet law overturned by any court nor do I doubt that any exist that don't reflect the majority wishes of the public. The will of the majority is "intrusion?"

No, these sorts of things have evolved into government action regarding education, including for example, drivers education where folks learn how to parallel park and know the shapes of road signs. The gov't has not chosen to "intrude" to the extent drivers' licenses depend on ability to control four-wheel drifts or even to operate a manual transmission. Pretty much how gov't-funded motorcycle training is limited to a little chalk talk, riding a put-put around a parking lot, and maybe learning by rote to stop an engine with the kill switch rather than the ignition switch. This, too, is about all the gov't wishes to "intrude."

And isn't it just awful that groups like NASCAR, Indycar, Formula One, NFL, NHL, and MLB require their participants wear helmets? In fact, the Navy probably insisted our own and honorable F14RIO wear a helmet while flying and while riding a motorcycle on base. All those poor oppressed people.

And isn't it awful there are stop signs and seat belt laws and vehicle inspections and all other such things so severely limiting our "freedoms" in the name of "safety?"

These are things called "analogies" a word worth knowing. Analogy happens quite a lot in lawmaking, where logic suggests that if we do this, why don't we do that? How can we not do that? Anyone that thinks helmet laws are anything different is either self-serving or really dense.

No, "freedom" is having democratic processes. "Winning them all" is a child's fantasy.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S