Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Protecting Bridge/Arch on step-through?

Protecting Bridge/Arch on step-through?

My wife and I are scuffing the top of cover (name?) when we "step through".
    Anyone have any ideas/suggestions.
    I know "lift your leg higher" is one, but inherently we lift as high as we think should be necessary but occasionally our shoes hit bottom as we step through. Starting to see scuff marks on the paint :>(

Is there an after market product I wonder?

So far after only 400 miles, I am very happy with the scooter (C650GT)
    The low COG and the auto clutch is a dream.
    I can balance the bike at very low speeds and am gaining more and more confidence with every trip.

At the Bike School they are so insistent on learning to slip the clutch to control the bike at low speeds.
    Something I never did when I was younger and always on my bike.
    I just wonder if they would allow my wife and/or others to do the test on the C650?

Regards of the season to all.
    Mike.

Mike
    Clear wrap, to cover the center tunnel and have it done professionally cost is about $100 us, add another $50 for the headlamp
    Or trade for a 14 model, center covered in vinyl and redesigned fuel door

There is a 3M product that I use called ScotchCal. It's a thick adhesive backed plastic that I use on the running boards (rocker panels) of my vehicles. If it's something you like and are going to install, I'd be happy to give you some tips.
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

Thank you both for responding and the suggestions.

I looked up the Scotchcal and it appears the way to go.
    I will take the advise offered on some websites and make a paper template etc.
    It sounds very similar to the routine (ie wetting) for placing large vinyl labels on the side of boats.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemill View Post
    It sounds very similar to the routine (ie wetting) for placing large vinyl labels on the side of boats.

Mike.
    You got it A little dishwashing soap in the water, ready to roll. It would be kinda neat if you could do some pictures. It would give the Scooter forum a boost!
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200
    Part of the Forum Threadside Assistance Program

I've had ScotchCal on the filler cover and the U-shaped piece that surrounds it for about six months. Though it does help with scuffs, it's susceptible to being nicked from boots or other objects. Mine looks a little beat up right now so I'll probably reapply in the spring. Not sure if it's worth it. Perhaps just keeping those parts well-waxed (to aid in cleanup) would be a better plan. At least I kept the templates I cut out so it'll be easier next time.

Wondering if the black plastic guard for the 2014, would fit the 13 models?
    We tried the 3m spray on my wife's GT, didn't work out, so removed it and apply wax weekly

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    Wondering if the black plastic guard for the 2014, would fit the 13 models?
    We tried the 3m spray on my wife's GT, didn't work out, so removed it and apply wax weekly
    I'd guess so but not sure I'd pop $150 for the two parts. Of course, that's for the '13s painted parts. The black unpainted parts should be less.

I agree with the observation that the tape then gets scuffed and nothing will clean that, so better to be careful, have it waxed well, and then you can at least clean it off.
    I have thought of the idea of spraying truck bedliner spray on this area, probably have it professionally done (I think a bedliner place will do this sort of thing).
    Didn't know there was a difference in 2014's, will check it out.
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Gilly,
    Their is some very thick clear wrap, if cut ti size would work and look good. If you spray bed liner your stuck with it. I would want something that doesn't grab my foot, as bed liner is nonslippery

Thanks for the note. The dealer did a covering and charged for it, it's like they never really gave me an option, like they had this guy come do it as soon as it was unboxed? And wasn't cheap.
    I have a suspicion that a guy at work tried the bike on for size (even mentioned the handlebar was locked, duh) and gave it a nasty rub. I was pretty miffed but I have to work with the guy (and can't say 100% that he did it, I could have I suppose in a rush) and figured the tape was just doing it's job. But I can't get the rub mark off either and pretty sure if the damage was done on paint that it would come off, but nothing to prove that.
    I still like the bedliner idea, I don't think the grippiness would really matter and I know if I drag a shoe across it, it would be unaffected. I have LineX in my truck bed and love it, I would see them. Not doing it any time soon. Maybe I'll just look at the '14s, LOL. Maybe they will do a few serious upgrades to it. I'd like to see the same bike with a bit more power and cruise control.
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

It'll buff out.
    Just kidding, I know what you mean even when careful I have boot sole marks from stepping through so I've taken to kicking my leg over.

Hey not to hijack but . . . . anyone using the BMW charger for your C? So I think I need a Euro female to Ciggy male adapter however can you go through the accessory plug like an RT?
    Hijack off and thanks guys.

Jeff Wilson life member
    Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post

Hey not to hijack but . . . . anyone using the BMW charger for your C? So I think I need a Euro female to Ciggy male adapter however can you go through the accessory plug like an RT?
    Hijack off and thanks guys.
    A long time ago I put a posting about an accessory plug in the top center of my steering column. I now use it for my heated mug, my heated riding gear and also charging my battery. I have a 15 amp fuse in line and connected directly to the battery
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff
    A bad day on the C650 GT scooter is better than the best day at work

Quote Originally Posted by GILLY View Post
    Maybe they will do a few serious upgrades to it. I'd like to see the same bike with a bit more power and cruise control.
    Well, it's not the same as a real cruise in that speed fluctuates on hills, but I've been running the Kaoko throttle lock on mine after reading the review on WebBikeWorld and it's a treat. Also utterly trivial to mount.

Quote Originally Posted by 43362 View Post
    A long time ago I put a posting about an accessory plug in the top center of my steering column. I now use it for my heated mug, my heated riding gear and also charging my battery. I have a 15 amp fuse in line and connected directly to the battery
    Wow that is slick. I'd like to see if I can work with the plug in the left storage box if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminsf View Post
    Well, it's not the same as a real cruise in that speed fluctuates on hills, but I've been running the Kaoko throttle lock on mine after reading the review on WebBikeWorld and it's a treat. Also utterly trivial to mount.
    Similar solution here, Throttlemeister. Gilly I thought the 650 pulls pretty well, what are you comparing it to?