Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tire Pressure Gauge

Quote Originally Posted by brewmeister View Post
    Have this Harley Davidson air gauge /thread depth gauge.The chuck is at 90 degrees for best fitting between big disks and rims.Good quality,easy to use,see the dial scales.
    I have several of these and find them to be very handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beemeup View Post
    I generally carry 2 tire pressure gauges. I carry the BMW digital tire gauge in my tank bag for quick checks when I'm on the road. It is a bit pricey for a tire gauge, but it is pretty accurate and it is guaranteed.........I had one fail and my dealer replaced it for free. I also carry the EZ tire gauge that is part of my Cycle Pump that I got from Best Rest products (https://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-1...ump-gauge.aspx). I carry this along with a Nealey Tire Repair Kit which I think is the easiest and best kit available (http://www.tirerepairkit.com/whichkit.htm). The EZ gauge is quite accurate and functions "in-line" with the cycle pump so that you can make adjustments in tire pressure quite easily and allows you to be quite precise without a lot of fiddling around. This may be a little overkill, but better prepared than not, I hope this is helpful.
    If you have ever tried to use a long, angled tire chuck as found in all truck stops and many convenience stores you will carry an EZ gauge simply because it makes it possible to put air in your tires using one of those chucks. The gauge hose clips onto the valve stem, and air is added out at the gauge end, about 6 inches beside your tire instead of entangled somewhere between spokes, brake disks, and other encumbrances. I would carry one of ours even if the gauge itself was inaccurate or even smashed, just for the ease of adding air to the tire. It happens that they are reasonably accurate but that is just a side benefit to me. I also carry a digital gauge I got from Roadgear about ten years ago.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Old way still:)

I've had many gauges the last 60 years and today gone back to my pencil gauges again and find'em perfectly swell. Had to buy one on my last road trip in Moab,Utah at a NAPA and they got me for 11$, but a FINE pencil gauge, high end model! My GSA has no issues getting to the valve stems, just my body sometimes complains about the deep knee bend, or kneeling on the hard ground. Knees just are not young anymore! Anyhow, I have found my last several pencil gauges have been dead on perfect. They do NOT seem to like Slime and need a good cleaning after exposed to the green stuff. Randy

Ozzie Flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    While were on air pressure guages-how accurate are the TPS in our wheels? On my Cadillac I can drive down the road and watch the PSI as it changes from tire warm up.I think of it as a safety net rather than a true reading. I have checked it with my digital & seemed close, maybe within 1-2 PSI. My bikes don't have TPS.
    The pressure should vary as the tires heat up. That's a design feature
    Regards
    regards
    Paul
    Ozzie Flyer
    BE KIND TO HUMANS... THEY BITE

I use the Digital Tire Gauges from Roadgear. They're easy to use, easy for my old eyes to read, and the lastest actually tells me the reading...

I have a few, and have given a few as gifts to friends that love them as well.

Like Paul and a couple others I know, I also drag an EZ gauge with me in both bikes for those chance encounters with whatever I have to use on the road.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by pch123 View Post
    The pressure should vary as the tires heat up. That's a design feature
    Regards
    No kidding. My point was that the increments were in single digits, not that I was intrigued with the fact that tires warm up or that their psi increases as that occurs.
    I'll ad that I don't agree that "friction" is "a design feature", I'm(we all are) betting our collective lives on it being there when we need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Regards !

Lee Parks gauges

Lee guarantees his pencil gauges plus/minus 1 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyleo View Post
    Lee guarantees his pencil gauges plus/minus 1 psi.
    +/- 1psi measured to what?

Just a quick note on EZ gauges. This thread spurred me to grab a couple EZ gauges for Christmas gifts for motorcycling friends. The attached image shows the EZ Gauge I have - and what is shown on their site. This one works in most motorcycle applications.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

The attached is what I recieved in my order for 4 Christmas gifts. They've changed the head and added too much brass fitting to allow it to be used on the rear wheel of either of my BMWs.

I've emailed them to see what can be done about this problem.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Aerostich-Dial Tire Guage

I purchased one of these jobbers from our friends at Aerostich on a whim. I've liked it so much that I've purchased one for both my father and father in law.

To Quote Aerostich "The 2.5" dial reads to 60 psi with a swivel angle chuck and an air release valve. Accurate, easy to read and inexpensive. Toss it into your kit or leave it by your daily gear out in the garage so it will be handy."

I like the swiveling head as well as the fact that it holds your pressure until you release it, making it easier to read.

http://www.aerostich.com/tools/tire-...ire-gauge.html

Great idea for a thread btw:
    Be Seen and Be Safe

As a simple air gauge, that, and many others work great. However, the purpose of carrying the EZ Gauge has always been to allow you to use to typical chuck found at the average gas station, truck stop or convenience store, such as the attached:

With the EZ Gauge, the design of the chuck and hose don't make any difference because once you clamp the EZ Gauge chuck to the valve stem, you then have a remote "valve stem" to fill through.
    Nom de Plume:
    Steve Aikens, Clovis, NM
    BMW MOA #6218
    IBA# 442

Quote Originally Posted by queretaro View Post
    +/- 1psi measured to what?
    I don't understand your question. +/- 1 psi is a measure of accuracy.

Also, Slime markets (found mine in a WalMart) one of the smallest digital guages I've seen. I picked one up and it fits great in the RT fairing pocket.

Jack Herbst
    Quote Originally Posted by dbaliko View Post
    I use this one. I find it very accurate to the RT's TPM? I bought mine at Sears but it's also here at RoadGear.

http://roadgear.com/programmable-dig...auge-p-41.html

Doug
    I have one of these also that I bought from Road Gear and like it a lot. I have used many different digital and analog but this beats them all IMHO.

Jack
    "All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I realize I should have been more specific."

Has anyone mentioned that (aside from reasonable accuracy and consistency) the MOST IMPORTANT thing is that you don't lose air when trying to check tire air pressure? I like my under $5 pencil guage from Canadian Tire. It registers 5-50 lbs, has that very important feature, and when checked against a digital guage (more expensive and which has since died) it registered 1.5 lb high. Must check out my other guages on a truck tire. Throw out those that are way off or let out air, label the consistent ones for small adjustments.

For our bycicles I use a hand pump with a guage. Actually, that is what I use for the bike or vehicles which need a few pounds of pressure. Very accurate guage.

Good to have an accurate guage on the road, though frankly I've never had a problem with tires losing air. Only down 2-3 pounds after my bike sits idle for 5 months in the winter. No flats. Maybe I've just been lucky.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS