Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: R1150RT Cold Starting Sequence

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    QUESTION: Do the bulbs just pull straight out (if you're lucky & have small hands) or do they require some special finagling?

On a tangent but somewhat related: I've also mostly painted over the illuminated red 4-way button, just another distraction.
    Good question.

The bulbs sit in rubber sockets and the sockets pull straight back, but taking some wiggling as you pull. Both my bulbs then fell out of the rubber socket. One on the floor and the other on the bottom of the headlight fairing. So if you can, try and catch them, they're small.

Was this change just a typo in the parts lists, or was it actually a Running Production Change somewhere along the way?

IÔÇÖve had my ÔÇÖ04 RT since almost new, and just checked this a few days ago, and the bulbs were fine ÔÇô 1.7W in the High Beam indicator and 3W in the Batt/Alt indicator.

(Aside: Taking off the left body panel made a little more room to work, and taking off the glovebox made a LOT more room to get in there. I still used a broad gentle needlenose to carefully grab the rubber around the bottom of the sockets.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Was this change just a typo in the parts lists, or was it actually a Running Production Change somewhere along the way?

IÔÇÖve had my ÔÇÖ04 RT since almost new, and just checked this a few days ago, and the bulbs were fine ÔÇô 1.7W in the High Beam indicator and 3W in the Batt/Alt indicator.

(Aside: Taking off the left body panel made a little more room to work, and taking off the glovebox made a LOT more room to get in there. I still used a broad gentle needlenose to carefully grab the rubber around the bottom of the sockets.)
    Interesting.

A few other R1150RT owners that I know reported 1.7W in the Batt/Alt light and 3W in the High Beam. I guess I'm not sure if they changed the part (both are in the Max BMW fiche, the 1.7W bulb is crossed out) or if it was hit or miss which way they got installed.

Certainly the Batt/Alt benefits from the additional current of the 3W bulb and the high beam lamp doesn't need to be the brighter of the two at night.