Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vintage looking tires for /5

Have you looked @ "Tires Unlimited"? Even if you don't buy there , lots of brands,pics & prices.

Prior to '77 you could either get Contis' or the dreaded Metzeler "Rille" for the front and the "C" Block for the rear.

Woodgrain

fwiw, (tho i suspect it won't matter to you, but i'm putting it out there anyway) those Conti RB2s and K112s were crappy handling tires when they were first produced, and were one of the few tires generally available (which is why we used them). they will have only gotten even worse in comparison to current tire technology.
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    they will have only gotten even worse in comparison to current tire technology.
    So you're saying that they haven't improved the tires since 1970? I find that hard to believe. I don't have anything to offer up as I haven't run the Conti twins since I first got my /7. I am running a set of Continental 3.25x19 on my R25/2...no speed demon for sure but they work fine.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

?5 Original Tires

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    My guess is Continentals - RB2 in front (3.25x19) and K112 in rear (4.00x18).
    That's what my R60/5 came with.
    Last edited by krpreston; 12-10-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Can't spell.

Qualified Fecal Stirrer KBikeKev's Avatar
    I know this will irritate the performance folks, but can some of you post some pics with the Metzlers, Contis, Dunlops, or Heidenaus on your Slash Fives?
    Kevin Wood
    MSG U.S. Army, Ret.
    BMWMOA 131753, ABC 129393
    99 K1200RS, 71 R60/5, 85 K100RS - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    So you're saying that they haven't improved the tires since 1970? I find that hard to believe. I don't have anything to offer up as I haven't run the Conti twins since I first got my /7. I am running a set of Continental 3.25x19 on my R25/2...no speed demon for sure but they work fine.
    I will venture out on that proverbial limb with this: for a bias ply tire that very little changed about the materials used(rubber compounds-sidewall & tread& interliner- ,wire & fabrics,assy.) & they are very likely built on the same machine by the same people as before-unless they retired-and far more likely to be Asian built than years ago.

DoktorT
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    those Conti RB2s and K112s were crappy handling tires when they were first produced,they will have only gotten even worse in comparison to current tire technology.
    He is not looking for performance, he specifically stated he wants tires that LOOK ORIGINAL. That would be NONE of the current performance types.

The Conti Twins perform just fine indeed on the early Airheads. They were designed by Conti at the request and per specs provided by BMW specifically for the /5/6 machines.