Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: oil consumption on 1150rs

Nickname: Droid
    As always, I'm curious how anyone would know their oil consumption this accurately, I quote, "In 6000 miles my R1100 oilhead would use about 300cc of 20-50 synthetic oil." 300cc would be aproximatley half the height in the oil level view window.

I agree that an Oilhead with miles on it above 20,000 will certainly stabilize oil use.
    My 94 RS has high miles on it, yet uses very little oil. I go about 5,000 miles between oil changes and I may add about 1/2 quart, maybe, in that time before the next change. On the Oilhead oil sight glass, the distance from the bottom of the view port to the top, with the bike level on the centerstand is about one pint of oil, or about 473ml, which is also equal to 473 cc. So from the bottom or top of the window to the center dot is 236 to 237cc. Not enough to worry about as that much oil is easily held up in the cooler and oil lines. So its good to monitor the oil level, but don't obsess about it, just ride more.

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar

Why do they all do that?

Since we have another oil thread going anyway I've always wondered why Oilheads use oil in the first place. I know over filled oilheads will blow out the excess due to crank case pressure but if they are filled correctly, where does the oil go? Just curious...
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
    ....but if they are filled correctly, where does the oil go? Just curious...
    That's kind of an obvious question - it goes to the same place where individual lost socks go.

Bluenoser
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    As always, I'm curious how anyone would know their oil consumption this accurately, I quote, "In 6000 miles my R1100 oilhead would use about 300cc of 20-50 synthetic oil." 300cc would be aproximatley half the height in the oil level view window.

I agree that an Oilhead with miles on it above 20,000 will certainly stabilize oil use.
    My 94 RS has high miles on it, yet uses very little oil. I go about 5,000 miles between oil changes and I may add about 1/2 quart, maybe, in that time before the next change. On the Oilhead oil sight glass, the distance from the bottom of the view port to the top, with the bike level on the centerstand is about one pint of oil, or about 473ml, which is also equal to 473 cc. So from the bottom or top of the window to the center dot is 236 to 237cc. Not enough to worry about as that much oil is easily held up in the cooler and oil lines. So its good to monitor the oil level, but don't obsess about it, just ride more.
    The reason I know is that I carried a 1/2 liter bottle of 20-50 oil with me and in a 6000 mile ride I only had to add slightly over half of the bottle or 300 cc to bring the oil level up to full.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650

Quote Originally Posted by ANDYVH View Post
    I know my oil consumption exactly every litre in the last 236,000 km
    This also applies to Gasoline, Tires and Brake Pads & rotors
    Easy to track on an Excel spread sheet.

Bottom line:
    Lots of highway - very low
    City riding with lots of heat cycles - 2 to 3 times the oil use
    Synthetic burns off less than Dino juice
    Oil consumption tends to increase as the oil ages
    Running from center of sight glass to bottom burns less than top to center.

Your results may vary.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

It's all about the details.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by GSAddict View Post
    Bottom line:
    Lots of highway - very low
    City riding with lots of heat cycles - 2 to 3 times the oil use
    Synthetic burns off less than Dino juice
    Oil consumption tends to increase as the oil ages
    Running from center of sight glass to bottom burns less than top to center.

Your results may vary.
    Actually, my results are virtually identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer View Post
    Since we have another oil thread going anyway I've always wondered why Oilheads use oil in the first place. I know over filled oilheads will blow out the excess due to crank case pressure but if they are filled correctly, where does the oil go? Just curious...
    Into the air box, that is why there is a drain plug at the rear left bottom.

But seriously, I have read that all boxers are designed to use some oil.
    Because they are Air (and oil) cooled the expansion tolerances from cold to hot are much more than a water cooled engine. The very large piston size on our boxers allows oil to bypass the rings on cold startup.
    In other words, don't turn it off if you want low oil consumption, they are meant to run hot.
    Last edited by GSAddict; 12-12-2012 at 06:00 PM.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Some folks here may have similar stories.

I had a 4cyl rice burner/ truck that used 4 qts of oil in 3000 miles.

Ahh,, the good-ole-days...
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote

Quote Originally Posted by twinsig View Post

Of 2 strokes!
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Actually, my results are virtually identical.
    same here (but never having used dino in my R11S, i can't comment on dino vs synth diffs)
    Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Quote Originally Posted by twinsig View Post
    Some folks here may have similar stories.

I had a 4cyl rice burner/ truck that used 4 qts of oil in 3000 miles.

Me too! An 86 Mazda! Never did an oil change, just changed the filter every 3000!
    Mike Davis
    "Old n Slow" It's a way of life!
    1985 K100RT

1998 R1100RT

Nickname: Droid
    As a point of reference to oil use on the Oilheads, it is true they tend to use some oil until the rings are fully fine tuned to match up well with the very hard coating in the cylinders. My 94 RS, at 170k uses very little oil, if any at all. I just saw the inside of the cylinders on an 1150R with over 225,000 miles on it. The engine was being opened up for the first time to replace the cam chain and guides, which requires a full block "split" to get at the components.

Both cylinders showed the original machined cross-hatching, no ridge at the top of the bore, and a very faint line about midway down the bore where it was evident the lowest ring on the pistons stopped. Both pistons showed no scuffing on the very short skirts. All the original rings still measured within spec for the proper end gap when set square in the bores.

So based on what I saw, it was clear the Oilheads take some miles to "seal up" oil use past the rings. But once there its good for many hundreds of thousands of miles.