Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: oil consumption on 1150rs

rfisher56@dslextreme.com

oil consumption on 1150rs

Just got an '02 1150 rs with 12k on the clock and did an oil change @ 12,600. 800 miles later and I'm having to add about 300cc of oil to top off. Is this normal for an oilhead to "use" oil or have I got a problem? I did the 5 min on the side stand then checked oil level on the centerstand.

Oil heads aren't broken in until 20000 miles. Quit obsessing.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Top off to what mark? If you are filling to the top of the sight glass you are most likely overfilling. Aim for the dot in the center and see if you oil level stabilizes.
    Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

Quote Originally Posted by ref56 View Post
    Just got an '02 1150 rs with 12k on the clock and did an oil change @ 12,600. 800 miles later and I'm having to add about 300cc of oil to top off. Is this normal for an oilhead to "use" oil or have I got a problem? I did the 5 min on the side stand then checked oil level on the centerstand.
    It seems like a lot. You probably did this, but just to be sure, was your motorcycle engine hot from riding when you went parked it using the sidestand? With my 1150 I have to park it hot on the sidestand, let it sit for about 10 minutes, then onto the centerstand for several minutes. At that point I feel I get an accurate, consistent oil level.

Interestingly if I run it on the centerstand after that procedure and shut it off, there is no oil in the sight glass even if I wait overnight.

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Bottom line is yes, MOST 1100 and 1150's use some oil. Search the forum and you will find several discussions. And I agree, the more miles the less they use, but they almost all burn some.
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

my bike

as reference on this thread, 180K miles, 20w50 V-Twin Mobil, uses 1 qt in a 5000 mile oil-change cycle.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote

Full timr RV'er, where we park is home. No fixed address or location.
    Some of the engines have a certain "comfort point" in oil level. They will blow off any amount over a particular point. If you keep refilling to the absolute full mark it will keep blowing it out. Try an experiment and allow it to drop a tad. As long as it is above the bottom of the circle in the sight glass you are OK. See if it stabilizes at a level below full.
    DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
    Author Unknown

Left Coast Rider
    All above is good advice.

I've also noticed that consumption is remarkably less when doing distance instead of in-town riding. Doesn't matter how I ride - hard acceleration or slow, sustained high-speed or just poodling along - my bike consumes more oil in town. Having said that, on a 5,000 km 20% over the speed limit tour, I used about 1/2 liter of oil whose name and grade shall remain nameless.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    All above is good advice.

I've also noticed that consumption is remarkably less when doing distance instead of in-town riding. Doesn't matter how I ride - hard acceleration or slow, sustained high-speed or just poodling along - my bike consumes more oil in town. Having said that, on a 5,000 km 20% over the speed limit tour, I used about 1/2 liter of oil whose name and grade shall remain nameless.
    You know of course, if you used a different brand or grade, your oil consumption would either be higher, lower, or the same.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Acejones View Post
    You know of course, if you used a different brand or grade, your oil consumption would either be higher, lower, or the same.
    I want to see empirical proof of this statement. Names, dates, weather conditions, road conditions, motorcycle mileage, rider experience, passenger load, tire pressures, age of spark plugs, fuel load, windscreen height, and the last time you did a spline lube.

Just to make sure you aren't checking it at the wrong time, read this:
    http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...818#post727818

Don't ya just love oil threads!!
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote

On the Road
    I have an 03 RT with 36,XXX miles and I've noticed oil consumption but it's activity specific. Stop and go driving causes greater consumption. Steady trips means little to no consumption. I ride to and from work in DC traffic and on a recommendation from my Mechanic I tried 10W40 non-synthetic for the winter. Even in stop and go I haven't noticed any consumption in the past 1,500 miles. I can't run it in the summer but I may try non-synthetic in the summer to see if that keeps the oil consumption down.

Bluenoser
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger 04 RT View Post
    It seems like a lot. You probably did this, but just to be sure, was your motorcycle engine hot from riding when you went parked it using the sidestand? With my 1150 I have to park it hot on the sidestand, let it sit for about 10 minutes, then onto the centerstand for several minutes. At that point I feel I get an accurate, consistent oil level.

Interestingly if I run it on the centerstand after that procedure and shut it off, there is no oil in the sight glass even if I wait overnight.
    This is the right way to check the oil. If you do it in any other sequence you will get an inaccurate reading.

In 6000 miles my R1100 oilhead would use about 300cc of 20-50 synthetic oil.
    1971 R50/5 SWB with R75/6 drivetrain
    2013 DL650

It took my 02 R1150RS amost 40K for oil consumption to stabilize.

If I put in any above the center line it burns off quick.

Short trips it will burn some. Take off on a trip and will use very very little if any.

And for winter I use Rotella 5W40 Syn. Starts up like summer.

Rod