Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: BRP North to South May 2013

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lake Gaston, Va
    Posts
    57

    BRP North to South May 2013

    Small group of us from southern va are planning a full length ride in May. Ride to Waynesboro on Wed the 29th, then head south. Staying in hotels near as possible tothe parkway.
    Trying to figure out a stopping point on day 1. Southern VA is slim on hotels. Looks to me that either Roanoke or The Hillsville Area would be about it, bht how far is reasonable to plan on riding.
    We will not get on the parkway till after lunch. Peaks of otter lodge is only 86 miles south so that seems to soon to stop for the night. Roanoke is only about 30 miles south from there at MP 121. Hillsville is at MP177, but is that too far to enjoy the ride and fit everyones comfort level?
    We don t really have anyone that is really slow, but we will be running the 45 mph speed limit.
    Anyone else done this? Iam sure someone has. Where did you stop for the night on day 1?

  2. #2
    Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Posts
    3,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Khightower View Post
    Small group of us from southern va are planning a full length ride in May. Ride to Waynesboro on Wed the 29th, then head south. Staying in hotels near as possible tothe parkway.
    Trying to figure out a stopping point on day 1. Southern VA is slim on hotels. Looks to me that either Roanoke or The Hillsville Area would be about it, bht how far is reasonable to plan on riding.
    We will not get on the parkway till after lunch. Peaks of otter lodge is only 86 miles south so that seems to soon to stop for the night. Roanoke is only about 30 miles south from there at MP 121. Hillsville is at MP177, but is that too far to enjoy the ride and fit everyones comfort level?
    We don t really have anyone that is really slow, but we will be running the 45 mph speed limit.
    Anyone else done this? Iam sure someone has. Where did you stop for the night on day 1?
    I think Peaks of Otter is closed because the contract was not renewed and they have not found a replacement yet. I think Hillsville would be a good distance but Meadows of Dan (I think there is one motel in Meadows of Dan and one in nearby Stuart) might be better if the day runs short.. If you go to Hillsville, ride to the bottom of the mountain on Rt 52 and eat at the Hungry Farmer in Cana. It's good and it's cheap. If you don't find anything suitable in Hillsville, it's only a short ride down 52 to Mount Airy or a short ride to Galax on Rt 58.

    We have run around 50 or a little more on the Parkway for years and we have never had a problem even when meeting the rangers.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

  3. #3
    Chromehead bobs98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Marlton, South Jersey
    Posts
    1,046

    Recommendations

    Last summer, our group rode N-S on the way to the TN side of the Smokies.

    We stayed south side of Roanoke at Colony House Motor Lodge, 4 miles north of BRP on US 220. Excellent, with restaurants in walking distance.

    Next night at Skyline Village Inn in Little Switzerland, literally 50 yards off the Parkway. Breakfast and dinner on site. Better than excellent.

    Stops along the way included Mast General Store in Valle Cruces NC, Mount Mitchell, and Wheels Thru Time Museum in Maggie Valley NC.

    Hope this helps.
    Bob Smith
    '98 R1200C
    '80 XS850 Special
    '05 Rocket III

  4. #4
    Club President gsjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Johnstown Pa.
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by bobs98 View Post
    Last summer, our group rode N-S on the way to the TN side of the Smokies.

    We stayed south side of Roanoke at Colony House Motor Lodge, 4 miles north of BRP on US 220. Excellent, with restaurants in walking distance.

    Next night at Skyline Village Inn in Little Switzerland, literally 50 yards off the Parkway. Breakfast and dinner on site. Better than excellent.

    Stops along the way included Mast General Store in Valle Cruces NC, Mount Mitchell, and Wheels Thru Time Museum in Maggie Valley NC.

    Hope this helps.
    I also can recommend the Colony House and there are several nice places in Little Switzerland. We stayed at the Switzerland Inn and their Diamond Back Lodge which caters to riders.
    We also like the Oak Haven Lodge in Floyd Va. Just a bit further south than Roanoke. Great Italian place down the street.
    jaason
    Last edited by gsjay; 12-07-2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

  5. #5
    Registered User cehlbeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Acworth, GA
    Posts
    274
    In September of 2011 we made the same trip. If you're not getting on the BRP until lunch or later I think Hillsville is stretching it. You don't want to be on the BRP after dark in my opinion. Also remember the maximum speed limit is posted at 45 mph and is lower in some spots. You'll also be stopping along the way too.

    That being said here's where we stopped:
    • Peaks of Otter (if they will be open). Great relaxing atmosphere. No cell service, no phone, no tv in room, no wi-fi. Very relaxing.
    • Hillsville. Plenty of places there and also in nearby Fancy Gap right off the BRP is a lodge made of old RR cabooses and a cabin too.
    • Little Switzerland. There's a number of very nice places here and you avoid the Blowing Rock prices.


    We added a night in Maggie Valley also to avoid a long ride home the final day.

    We have a blog post on the trip along with a link or two and our reasons for the stops at: http://ourbmw.wordpress.com/2011/09/...rkway-journey/
    Chris Ehlbeck
    BMWMOA 168990
    Chris & Donna's Motorcycle Journeys

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lake Gaston, Va
    Posts
    57
    Thanks for all the advice. First of all i had the dates wrong. MEMORIAL DAY is a week earlier than i thought. I think at the moment the plan is leaning toward the roanoke area for the first night stay. Then Little Switzlerland on the second night. Cherokee third night with a little visit to the casino.
    Saturday mkrning ride the Dragon early then loop down Cherahola to Robbinsville.
    Trip home is kinda up in the air. May just head north up to Hwy 58 in VA then eastward home. Or we could find NC Hwy 70 and head northeast.

    Again, thanks for all the help. And keep the suggestions coming.

  7. #7
    Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Posts
    3,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Khightower View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. First of all i had the dates wrong. MEMORIAL DAY is a week earlier than i thought. I think at the moment the plan is leaning toward the roanoke area for the first night stay. Then Little Switzlerland on the second night. Cherokee third night with a little visit to the casino.
    Saturday mkrning ride the Dragon early then loop down Cherahola to Robbinsville.
    Trip home is kinda up in the air. May just head north up to Hwy 58 in VA then eastward home. Or we could find NC Hwy 70 and head northeast.

    Again, thanks for all the help. And keep the suggestions coming.
    If you have the time, return on the Parkway. It is a totally different ride with different views and the road seems different. I have done the Parkway as a round trip twice. If you have time, the Back of the Dragon is only about 50 or 60 miles away (http://backofthedragon.com/) and it is well worth the trip.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lake Gaston, Va
    Posts
    57
    Its cming together now. Leaving on Saturday. That way we get to the end on Monday. Hope some of the weekenders will have gone home. Anybody got advice on a good route from Gatlinburg to far western VA? Thinking about heading north/northeast and picking up Hwy 58 in VA. Then it will be due east home. Maybe a stop by the Carter Family Fold. I'd like to pay my respects.

  9. #9
    Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Posts
    3,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Khightower View Post
    Its cming together now. Leaving on Saturday. That way we get to the end on Monday. Hope some of the weekenders will have gone home. Anybody got advice on a good route from Gatlinburg to far western VA? Thinking about heading north/northeast and picking up Hwy 58 in VA. Then it will be due east home. Maybe a stop by the Carter Family Fold. I'd like to pay my respects.
    If you can arrange it, the Saturday night show at the Carter Family Fold is a unique experience that many city folks would never understand. They have a different group perform every Saturday night to an enthusiastic audience with 90+ people of various ages, sizes and ability dancing in front of the stage. Every time I have gone, there has been a lady dancing with her dog. I was told that the stray dog was injured by a car nearby and the dog was nursed back to health by her vet husband. She has brought it back to the Fold weekly ever since.

    http://www.carterfamilyfold.org/
    Last edited by osbornk; 01-14-2013 at 08:06 PM.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

  10. #10
    That road looks good! Norwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    From NW AL to WNC
    Posts
    227

    Blue Ridge Parkway Info

    Download this link....pdf file saved to phone or Ipad OR you can pick up hard copy at BRP visitor center...

    Milepost by Milepost account of where to stay and eat....helpful

    http://blueridgeparkway.indigofiles....ectory2012.pdf

    Hope this helps!
    2011 R1200 GSA (My Radio Flyer)
    75 R90/6 with Velorex sidecar

    " Oh Lord I pray, Let me live long enough to do everything they say I've done"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •