• Black and Arctic white

1 3.85%
  • Black and Dover white

2 7.69%
  • other

19 73.08%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Paint options

just had my 91 R100 mono re-painted...went from the stock black (actually more like a graphite) to white...used BMW "pepper white" ... similar to "Dover white"... real classy...picts coming soon....
    michael

I like the white vs the black.Mine is the black/mettalic grey 1995,2 tone with some pinstriping.Still,if youare going to paint everything;my pal painted his with the very expensive green/pink/purple,changed colour according to light and perspective,Mustang paint,looked great.
    Sometimes,nothing is a real cool hand.

My 81 started life as a smoked green which I dont think I would have liked.

The second owner repainted it with some type of Cadillac dark metallic blue which is still on the bike and it gives it a classy look when shined up.

If your going to go thru the process of repainting make it unique! John Deere green with yellow wheels or a Moto Sport white and orange, use your imagination. What about the newer R bike with the wide white stripe on top of the black tank. Continue the stripe down the front like the Moto Sport.

The paint is holding up pretty well considering the 164K on the odometer.

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Well, Jim, when I got my /6 with the Hannigan fairing, it was looking a bit worse for wear, with the tank in original black with white stripes, but it was also "touched up" by somebody. The touch-up, and the fairing were in various shades and textures of black, some of it appearing to have been done by broom. So I decided to strip it all down to nothing, pulled the dents out of the tank, lots of body work and minimal bondo, then shot it in a Mercedes color. My bike, my choice. I suggest you let your imagination loose.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Solid or Two-Tone?

As the owner/rider of two '78 Motorsports. . .there was a time when I would have said "definitely take it back to Pearl White. . ." or even, "do a fake Motorsport". . . but --

After a friend recently acquired a pristine factory-painted '78 RS, with Metallic Red on "upper" everything. . .fairing, tank, fenders, and a dark metallic grey on the fairing lowers and side-covers. . .that might be a way to go with a two-tone combination in your choice of colors. Sorry I can't post pix, but -- trust me, it looks great, and if you'll PM me, I'll send you a shot.

Personally, what I would NOT do is paint the fairing a different color from the rest of the bike, but - as others have noted - this IS a very personal thing.

The other suggestion is to TAKE PLENTY OF TIME time before doing this. You've got all winter, and my experience has been that if I let a decision "marinate" for a few days/weeks, and after weighing various suggestions, the "answer" comes floating across the grid as if by magic, and it's usually the "right" one. . .

Also, I'm sure some of the (young?) techies out there can tell you how to do a "virtual" paint job on a picture of this bike, and get a pretty good idea of what you like without spending several thousand bucks on a real paint job, then finding out you didn't like it! If you know any interior designers (I live with one), you might explore colors with them. When a person has studied color theory, they know a lot about what looks good together -- not every color looks good with a randomly-chosen other color, and there ARE "principles" that govern this, believe it or not.

Thanks for letting us in on this decision process.

Walking Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by patiodadio View Post
    My 1988 R100RT is Bermuda Blue (I think) , I really love the color .
    I have an 88 R100RT in Bermuda Blue as well. Dark metallic blue is one favorite colors. And, it seems that every 88 RT I come across is Bermuda Blue. Did they make any RT's in other colors for that year?
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

White
    1985 R80RT/ 2002 R1150GSA
    IBA # 44032

What color is "other"? That's winning out by a wide margin on the poll!
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

James.A
    Kurt, I suppose I put "other" on there to gauge the level of repulsion surrounding the black and white scheme. The paint on the replacement fairing is so good, that it isn't going anywhere. Realisticly, the only options are all black or 2 tone.

Candy Apple Red!!
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Quote Originally Posted by James.A View Post
    Kurt, I suppose I put "other" on there to gauge the level of repulsion surrounding the black and white scheme. The paint on the replacement fairing is so good, that it isn't going anywhere. Realisticly, the only options are all black or 2 tone.
    OK, in that case, I change my vote to all black. But do put the decals back on or at least pinstripe it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Brad D. - Member #105766
    '77 R100RS - Black Beauty (big pipe, baby!)
    '94 R1100RS - Sylvia

Quote Originally Posted by James.A View Post
    Kurt, I suppose I put "other" on there to gauge the level of repulsion surrounding the black and white scheme. The paint on the replacement fairing is so good, that it isn't going anywhere. Realistically, the only options are all black or 2 tone.
    The question that comes to my mind is what's the condition of the white paint on the rest of the bike? You said the black paint is in good condition. If the white paint is also in good condition, then it comes down to cost in my book. Is it cheaper to paint the black fairing white or the rest of the bike in black? Now if the white paint is in terrible condition, then I would go all black. That's my $0.02 on the issue.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer